Georgetown Completes Collapse
Questions about the Hoyas, following Monday's freefall out of the Big East Tournament.
1) Remember when the season started, and Georgetown was unanimous on top of the Atlantic 11 just about every week? And when I wrote this: "Barring some major meltdown or an unforeseen late-season game with Liberty, Georgetown will once again finish on top of this thing."
Yeah? I remember it too. That was funny.
2) What's better: two losses to St. John's, like the Hoyas have, or one loss to previously winless (in the Big East) DePaul, like Cincinnati recorded today? Or is that like asking who's more clutch, A-Rod or Tony Romo?
3) If the Wizards can beat the Cavs but still wind up as the most wretched team in the NBA, and the Hoyas can beat U-Conn. and Memphis and then lose twice to something called the Red Storm, and the Caps can beat the Bruins one day and then lose to the Panthers and Hurricanes a few days later, my question is this: With the Globetrotters coming to the Verizon Center this weekend, should I maybe bet on the Generals?
4) So if, after a timeout, down by three, inside 15 seconds, the best the Hoyas can come up with is a contested Nikita Mescheriakov three-pointer that hits the top of the backboard, exactly what sort of shot would they have managed without a timeout? Greg Monroe shooting a backwards between-the-legs half-court attempt while juggling three Gatorade cups and reciting the Eastern Motors theme song in Swedish?
5) Which is the most humorous post-game comment on the Georgetown board: "Worse than an Esherick season," "Thank God it's over," "Do we really have to play in the NIT?" "We can't even foul correctly," "Did someone give John III a lobotomy halfway through the season?" "We're arguably the worst team in the BE," "They disgust me," or "Makes Escherick look like Red Auerbach?"
Me, I'll just take the thread title, "Seriously? That just happened????"
6) Ok, four-team single elimination bracket, neutral court, George Mason-Maryland and Virginia Tech-Georgetown, with the winners facing off. Who gets the BB&NIT crown?
March 10, 2009; 5:21 PM ET
Categories: Atlantic 11 , College Basketball
Save & Share: Previous: How Ovechkin Joined Eastern Motors
Next: Went to a Fight Last Night; Hockey Game Broke Out
Posted by: rhbancroft | March 10, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: info_stuporhighway | March 10, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ajaxthewonderdog | March 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: vn1170 | March 10, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 11, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: VTDuffman | March 11, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: bethesdaguy | March 11, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rickybrown_81 | March 11, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.