Jason Taylor Played One Year

"I'm 100 percent positive [Jason Taylor will] play longer than one year," Vinny Cerrato said after trading two draft picks for Jason Taylor.

"I'm on board. I'm gonna play out my contract. I'll be here for more than one year, God willing, unless something bad happens. I'm here to play ball and play ball as long as I can," Taylor said at the time.

Well, something bad happened. Being 100 percent positive doesn't buy you what it used to in this town.

(And yeah, I guess if Taylor plays somewhere else this year, Cerrato will have technically been positively right, but that wasn't exactly what I thought he was saying at the time.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 2, 2009; 4:46 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: See Screech Dance
Next: Local Poll Week XVI: American Splendor

Comments

Amazing.

Posted by: sitruc | March 2, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we count what he did in 2008 "playing?"

Posted by: fushezzi | March 2, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato should be absolutely embarassed. But he is shameless, so no doubt he thinks the whole Jason Taylor saga was genius.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

While I can't shake the feeling of being robbed by Parcells, I'm just not sure we had that many other options at the time. I'm pretty sure had we not gotten JT, the FO would have been slammed for not trying to put the best team on the field that they could. The FO gets credit for the effort but not the result. Considering how some teams are sitting on tens of millions in cap space they aren't going to spend I'll take effort over nothing.

Posted by: will_ga | March 2, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Effort needs to be coupled with good, common football sense, though. No need making a move if, ultimately, it won't do much to help. The Redskins make moves just to make moves, and it's netted them what in Snyder/Cerrato's tenure? Two playoff wins.

Posted by: CDon | March 2, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this is somehow Jason LaCanfora's fault.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | March 2, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Boycott Concessions for 1 Game! That's my movement. The Skins need something to shake them up and make the owner realize that the fans will not be complicit in letting the team be run into the ground. We deserve better than mediocrity and that is all the Danny has given us.

Let's pick one game and boycott concessions. That will really hit the Danny where it hurts!

Posted by: nacec | March 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Actually, who it will hurt is the concessionaires, who are struggling as it is, who get paid based on what they sell. Those people count on the income.

Otherwise, brilliant idea.

Posted by: mike8 | March 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Fine, don't boycott concessions. But let's pick one game and not buy any memorabilla. Can we agree that money goes to the Danny?

BTW, Mike8, what's your idea to get this team under control?

Posted by: nacec | March 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

2 things:

1) kind of odd for this to happen when the addition of Haynesworth would probably have made Taylor much more effective. Goofy.

2) on the concession thing -- I know some stadium vendors and even though they charge more at FedEx than some other venues, the vendor's cut (commission?) is smaller. Typical Gouging Danny.

Can you imagine how much better the whole "fan experience" would be and how much better the whole Redskins operation would be if The Danny was 6'? Or even 5'8"? His short man complex is killing the Redskins.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | March 3, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

What's the likelihood that Snyder (and the coaches) knew that asking Jason to actually do some off-season work would push him beyond the breaking point. The dead tree article stated that Blache didn't really want him and never loved him (I'm paraphrasing, here). Maybe asking for off-season workouts was the best way to find a reason to release him. I'm guessing there was a contract clause that protects the team in a situation like this.

Posted by: DrBeaker | March 3, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse