Pat Sajak Welcomes Fans on the Caps Bandwagon

Still love this photo from last Spring. (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

As a season-ticket holder for several years, Pat Sajak would theoretically be permitted to resent the new breed of Caps fan who jumped on board the spinning wheel of success only recently. But Sajak doesn't play games like that. He welcomes all.

"By the way, I've never subscribed to the [theory], you know, 'Oh, if you're a bandwagon fan, that's no good," Sajak told Russ Thaler last week on Washington Post Live. "I'm glad new fans are coming along and rediscovering the team and getting excited about it. And I understand in the tough days why it was a tougher draw, so welcome aboard to everybody....To me, it's just the most lyrical and beautiful game....People who don't understand the sport, I feel badly for, I wish they did. It's their loss, frankly."

Doo dah dah dah. We've all known Sajak was a Caps fan--read my conversation with him from last April, for example--but now he's crossing over to official Caps ambassador, and the guy has all the right answers. Like, here's what he said when Russ asked about spreading the game beyond its core.

"Hockey has to be careful about appealing to the non-fan," he said. "I mean, you hear a lot of people say, 'Oh, I don't watch hockey, I don't like the fighting,' or whatever it is. I'm not a soccer fan, and I say, 'Oh, it's low scoring,' but if they increased the scoring I might not want to see soccer anyway. So I think there's a danger of appealing to the non-fan. We have great hockey fans, we should see what they want to do with the sport."

That's an answer Caps fans will love. Here's an answer they won't: "I'm looking forward to the Finals," he said. "Caps against Blue Jackets. Write it down."

I mean, do you try to solve the puzzle after you get one T? You do not. Do you publicly predict the Caps will make the Finals before the playoffs have started? You do not. Anyhow, there aren't many things better than seeing Pat Sajak address the camera while a Zamboni goes back and forth in the background. "It's one of the most dramatic turnarounds I've ever seen in a sports franchise and it's fun to be a part of it," he said, referring to the Caps, not to the Zamboni turning around in the background. Watch the interview below.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 31, 2009; 9:43 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Westbrook Beats Up Pudgy White Guy
Next: Nats No Longer Have Longest World Series Odds

Comments

Awesome! Love that Pat is a Caps fan!

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | March 31, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

If I could cram my job into 35 days a year, I'd do it too. Sajak you bastard.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 31, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I always solve the puzzle after one T.

Posted by: EsMyDee | March 31, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Chuck Norris solves the puzzle before he even spins the wheel.

Posted by: ChampKind | March 31, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I caught that last week. It was a bit funny watching Russ try to cover Sajak for not watching soccer.

Dan, did you ever say what is going to happen to Russ or why he would be replaced or if it is not going to happen?

Posted by: sitruc | March 31, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Please someone find a way to make "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune: Washington Capitals Edition" a reality.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel... an O, please.

ALEX _VECHKIN F_R MVP

Posted by: ChrisinSS | March 31, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

CH_KE

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the clue is 'Washington Capitals'"

Posted by: puckheaded1 | April 1, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Try this puzzle...

NOT A ZAMBONI BUT AN _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Posted by: icewoman | April 1, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Olympia. Ha

Posted by: cappies | April 1, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

You can't jinx this team, Dan. 7 of the next 10 Cups, including '09!
DYNASTY

Posted by: tomlynx | April 1, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not a soccer fan, and I say, 'Oh, it's low scoring,' but if they increased the scoring I might not want to see soccer anyway."

Pretty insightful for a game show host. Think they could give him a talk show? Wonder how that'd go, and if he'd spend the one of the first monologues admitting he's got a snap-on toupee.

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse