Redskins Rally on the Hill, Cowherd Comes to D.C.

The mid-part of Thursday promises three entirely captivating choices for any resident of the D.C. sports blogworld.

1. Colin Cowherd comes to Dave & Buster's in Rockville for the opening day of the NCAA tournament. Which makes sense, because this area is clearly going to produce tons of NCAA tournament wins this year. Plus, Cowherd is so beloved around here.

Question I would like to ask: When you first arrived in D.C., you were replacing Tony Kornheiser's radio show. For a listener, was that like seeing your team pour its guts out to get a tourney berth and then finding out they have to go to Dayton for a play-in game that no one will watch, or was it more like having your national champion pick knocked out in the first game of the first session of today's action?

Question I would actually ask: If Maryland loses to Cal this afternoon, you're going to say "this wasn't a surprise, they had it coming," aren't you?

2. A handful of NFL players--including Fred Smoot, Chris Horton and DeAngelo Hall--will join an obesity expert, a U.S. Senator, three Representatives, and officials from the American Heart Association and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education to call for passage of the FIT Kids Act, placing a greater emphasis on phys-ed classtime, in a press conference on the West Lawn of the Capitol Building. Then they will lead schoolchildren in fitness activities. Unclear whether one of the activities will be sprinting up the Capitol steps.

Questions I would like to ask: DeAngelo, how did your signing party go, and what is South Beach Swag, exactly, and can it be taught in phys-ed? Fred, would you recommend more high school athletic programs add sailing programs? Falcons Owner Arthur Blank, why are you here? Chris, why can we get three Redskins defensive backs to show up on Capitol Hill, but zero Redskins wide receivers to show up at Redskins Park?

Questions I would actually ask: If the Redskins played dodgeball, offense against defense, who would win, and who would be the MVP, and is there a man in America better suited for the roll of lovable middle school gym teacher than Jim Zorn? Also, which member of the Redskins would finish first if you guys had to run a marathon? And did you ever have to play Animal Ball in high school gym class, or was that just me?

3. The NCAA tournament begins.

Questions I would like to ask: Hey Prisbell, I saw where you made your Sweet 16 picks and had four one seeds and four two seeds advancing, along with nothing lower than a six. I hope you don't trip out on that ledge; would be a shame to see you plummet those three inches to the ground. But I guess that's what to expect from someone who took U-Conn., Pitt and Louisville and handed me the field. Right?

Questions I would actually ask: Wait, did I really pick Purdue to go to the Elite Eight and Michigan State to the Final Four in a year where every talking head in the world warned me to avoid the Big Ten? Also, why does this 8-9 game between BYU and Texas A&M matter more to me than the organizational structure of the pre-school my daughter will attend next fall?

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 17, 2009; 2:46 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Fans Remain ... Unique?
Next: John Thompson's Pick for UVA Job: Boze

Comments

REDSKIN DODGEBALL
OFFENSE WOULD WIN OVER DEFENSE:

we have three guys that can throw the ball...four with Randle El

and ZERO guys that can catch it!!!

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone actually listen to Colin Cowherd? He's to sports talk what Fran Drescher is to, well, humanity.

Posted by: flipper5000 | March 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about Cowherd, but I'm cautioning every Terps Fan I can not to jump to round two. Seriously, every conversation I hear is "do you think we can beat Memphis?"

For a team that had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to get into the NCAA Tournament, conversations like that are dangerous.

One of the Junkies on Monday was opining on the similarities between this UMD team and the Mason team that made teh Final 4 run...

[Seth and Amy Pic]
...Really?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't knock sailing programs. I was on my high school sailing squad in Charleston, S.C. We raced Albacores against other schools and it's both mentally and physically challenging to read the wind and water conditions and get the most speed possible out of your boat without going swimming. And that's before you start thinking tactics and strategy to use against the other boats in the race.

Do you know that in the 1980's one of the America's Cup campaigns thought to use NFL players to operate the winches that raise and lower the yacht's sails? It wasn't a successful experiment and the boat went back to experienced racing sailors after just a few trials. The football players weren't in good enough physical condition to crew a sailboat racing at that level.

Posted by: greggwiggins | March 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

That guy is still just "the guy who replaced TK" and nothing else.

Horrible & predictable sports talk where you can tell the host is reading his takes. Rack Him.

Posted by: metatext | March 17, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was "Colin Coward". Now I know where the "Herd" comes from.

Anyway, can't wait until Fox Sports Radio takes over JFK. That'll be two (or technically four) sports radio stations I don't listen to in DC.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 17, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flipper5000

That's not fair... to Fran Drescher. She has done a lot to raise awareness and money for cancer research. Cowherd, on the other hand, is a a cancer.

Posted by: sitruc | March 18, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse