Redskins.com on the Haynesworth Indictment

As we all know, Redskins.com has proved an invaluable source for unfiltered breaking Redskins news in recent years, free of all the junior varsity mayhem provided by the mainstream media. And yet, due to what I can only assume was an administrative oversight, neither the news feed (Roster Review: Defensive Tackles) nor the official blog has yet been updated with news of Albert Haynesworth's indictment. Because I guess there's no fan interest in that topic.

Luckily, the team still has that little FanHouse newswire thing scrolling across the site, and so while reading the good news about the defensive tackles (!) and that cheerful story about Shaun Alexander's visit to the Park, you can also see these headlines.

As for Haynesworth, what can I say? You can see the police report at Hogs Haven and read a news story at the Tennessean. I suppose you never want your star free agent in the same story as "indicted for reckless driving," but it's not like this is a first for D.C. athletes.

1985: Washington Redskins defensive end Dexter Manley was arrested yesterday and charged with reckless driving and driving on a suspended license as he headed west in his 1983 BMW on the Dulles Toll Road, Virginia State Police said. Trooper T.L. Robinson said Manley was driving 83 mph on the 55 mph road when he was stopped at 12:30 p.m.

1986: Former Washington Redskins halfback Terry Metcalf was arrested yesterday in Arlington on cocaine possession and other charges after a row with county police traffic officers, a police spokesman said....Metcalf was also charged with disorderly conduct and reckless driving, accused of driving at 56 miles an hour in a 30 mile zone, and was released after promising to appear in court today.

1989: Washington Redskins running back Kelvin Bryant, who wrecked his car last week and will miss at least two weeks with a sprained cervical spine, will be charged with reckless driving, a spokesman for Fairfax County police said today.

1990: Former Washington Redskins defensive end Dexter Manley was charged with reckless driving yesterday when he crashed his Ford Bronco into a wall while trying to avoid a disabled truck in the right lane and caused a chain reaction accident on the Dulles Toll Road.

1992: Washington Redskins linebacker Kurt Gouveia faces a court hearing in Stafford County, Va., next month after being arrested for allegedly driving 119 mph in a 65 mph zone of Interstate 95, authorities said....Gouveia, 27, of Sterling, was charged with two counts of reckless driving.

1993: Marlene Chalmers Cooke, the wife of Washington Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke, was arrested early yesterday on a drunken driving charge after she was seen hurtling down M Street NW in Georgetown with a man clinging to the hood of her Jaguar convertible and pounding the windshield, police said....Cooke, whose driver's license puts her age at 37, was charged with driving under the influence and reckless driving, police said.

1997: Washington Redskins officials said running back Terry Allen would report to training camp as scheduled next week despite an incident Saturday in Georgia in which he was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after a high-speed chase with police that ended with Allen crashing his car. Allen's Ferrari was clocked at speeds of more than 100 mph before the crash, according to police reports in Walton County, Ga....He was charged with excessive speed in a 55 mph zone, driving under the influence of alcohol, fleeing police, reckless driving, hitting a fixed object and failing to show proof of insurance.

1997: Michael Westbrook is due to appear in court again Sept. 19 on charges of reckless driving. A Virginia state police officer said Westbrook was traveling 76 mph in a 45-mph zone on Aug. 8, according to court documents.

1997: Rod Strickland was found guilty of reckless driving stemming from an incident in September.

2004: Washington Redskins defensive tackle Jermaine Haley has pleaded no contest to reckless driving following his arrest last May.

2008: Washington Wizards forward Andray Blatche was arrested Wednesday in south-central Virginia on charges of reckless driving and driving on a suspended license for the third time, authorities said. Blatche, who is entering his fourth season with the Wizards and signed a five-year contract worth around $15 million last summer, was clocked going 86 mph in a 70 mph zone on Interstate 85, said Brunswick County 1st Sgt. Dwyane Jones.

(Full disclosure: I've used my laptop to actually blog while driving. If that's not reckless, I don't know what is.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 12, 2009; 5:12 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia Tech Puts Scare Into NIT Fans
Next: Gary + Greivis 4evr

Comments

Do the Redskins have cap space to sign any more offensive linemen, and are there any out there that would be better than the current roster? Thanks

Posted by: coastallp74 | March 12, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I really enjoy your blog, Dan, but with all due respect, your coverage of the Redskins organization strikes me as a little juvenile ever since their spat with Jason La Confora. I know that part of your gig is to gently mock, but the tone kind of seems a little more attack minded. The Redskins are an organization that certainly deserves mockery and maybe they shouldn’t have picked a fight with an organization that buys electrons by the barrel, but the analyses of Cerrato’s radio show, etc. and this type of post looks more like “the Post is better” than your usual jokey stuff.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: AndrewKB | March 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm with AndrewKB.

Moreover, it doesn't make sense for any organization to air any it's dirty laundry, especially dirty laundry so minor (a misdemeanor), so why would they be mocked for it?

What organization does? I don't think the WaPo printed a full story on the full extent of JLC's wrongdoings or negligence in the great Vinny-gate scandal of earlier this year.

Should the WaPo should be mocked for that more than the Redskins not publicizing misdemeanor legal matters of its players?

There's an argument that the WaPo made the greater failure since it's supposed to hold itself to a higher journalistic standard than the commercial market forces that the Redskins answer to.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | March 13, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It might have been a misdemeanor but the 25 year old who was injured had to get his hip replaced and is now in a wheelchair. He reportedly faces constant pain and possibly more operations. Plus, this is not his first driving offense. If he were still a Titan or you were the one injured you might have a different viewpoint. As for the website, they can do whatever they want. However, I think you gain more credibility when you acknowledge the bad as well as the good.

Posted by: justsaying6 | March 13, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

From what I remember, he didn't hit the driver in the accident. It sounds like two guys were racing or being morons in their car. One moron got hurt. The other didn't, and signed a huge contract.

I don't think any team goes out of their way to publicize the troubles of their players - it's an invasion of the individual's privacy to discuss these matters without their permission. Not to mention, it doesn't help employee morale to further publicize these things.

How many press releases or team website updates do you remember seeing from the Titans or Cowboys when Pac-Man screwed up? Very, very few, if any.

It's just dumb to criticize the Redskins for something no other team does, when there's many other, and more valid reasons, to criticize the Redskins.

It seems like JLC-like grasping. And I think Steinberg is smarter and better than that.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | March 14, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

jesuis, i just don't agree. the redskins have gone out of their way, over and over, to claim the mainstream media provides an incomplete/slanted view of their franchise, and that they will step up to be a more complete source of news. god bless them for it, but how can they then ignore this? people on the redskins blog (or at least one commenter, anyhow) were asking where was the haynesworth story. so was i.

As for "it doesn't help employee morale to further publicize these things," yeah, no kidding. But if you're interviewing prospective bloggers and promising them carte blanche editorial freedom.....I mean, can you find another serious Redskins blog that's ignored this news? Decided it was of no interest?

Also, check this:

"This is the latest belt-tightening move by The Post, which has been shrinking its print product and its staff numbers, like most newspapers across the country."

Not a real positive story. But if you're in the news gathering biz, you gather the news. Otherwise, just admit that you're doing propaganda. I don't know whether the Cowboys/Titans have been in the media criticism business in the same way the Redskins have.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | March 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

I appreciate you responding to comments. I have different issues than jesus. I don't necessarily excuse the Skins for ignoring news. My point was more that I expect more from journalists than shills and the tone of your posts seems more like a feud than reporting sometimes.

I know that sounds critical, but I don't mean it to be an attack. I guess my question is: Do you think the tone of your Redskins posts is the same as your tone for other teams and, if not, do you think that tone is justified for a news organization?

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted by: AndrewKB | March 14, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

AndrewKB, not sure if you're still reading here, but I understand what you're saying, and you're probably right. I think they open themselves up to more criticism, both because they're part of the most dominant league, and because they sometimes act with an imperiousness toward the media and their fans that other franchises don't.

And I'm not exactly a journalist--thought I'm not exactly a blogger either--so I think I can take some shots here and there.

So yes, I definitely agree that my tone is different with the Skins, and I don't think that necessarily undermines The Post. But I do think taking petty shots at them is cliche and stale and not particularly entertaining, so I should probably do so more judiciously.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | March 16, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

To the extent they have claimed to be their own authoritative news source for the Redskins, I agree with you Dan. That's a good point and well taken.

Thanks for the reply.