Rock the Red, Po Russki!

I don't know the answer to this question, but has any U.S. sports franchise ever embraced the Cyrillic alphabet than the '09 Caps? I mean, the number of Cyrillic items for sale in the team's gift shops is truly remarkable. I wish you could pay in Rubles. Plus, has anyone made Caps nesting dolls yet? That's a must.

These say Rock the Red, apparently, and they've been available for about three weeks. I'd like one, but I try to remain sports agnostic in my apparel. And red makes me look pasty.

Continuing the love of Mother Russia, here's Lindsay Czarniak and Sergei Fedorov dining at the Russia House. That would seem to reinforce my previous posting about the Caps spending New Year's Eve there. It also made me think back to that Ukrainian meal with Oleksiy Pecherov. Memories. (Via OFB.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 26, 2009; 11:36 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kornheiser's Today Show Appearance
Next: Villanova's D.C. Stars Miss Mumbo Sauce

Comments

Dan I know your lambasting of fellow media members it usually limited to Kornheiser, but after watching this, how can anyone take Czarniak seriously? She's like a less intelligent Erin Andrews.

Posted by: JDP_ | March 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if you told someone from the 1950's that our nation capital's hockey team would exhort our fans to "Rock the Red", two of our best players are Russian, and we sell t-shirts with Cryllic writing on them, that he'd believe we won the Cold War.

It's absolutely amazing.

Posted by: Joran | March 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The Cyrillic idea is pretty sweet. The Caps need to start making ads and posters like the old Soviet Propaganda.

Posted by: DangerNat | March 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know the answer to this question, but has any U.S. sports franchise ever embraced the Cyrillic alphabet than the '09 Caps?"

That's the sentence ever!

Posted by: Section138 | March 26, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It actually says, "The red banner forward!" (Krasnoye znamya vperyod!) which is actually a Soviet-era Communist slogan. (Which would be kind of depressing to run into if your Grandpa had died in the gulag. But let's not open that whole can of worms again.)

Bill Walsh