So Is It Really Time to Boo the Caps?

Yay cheering. Boo booing. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

After the Panthers loss: "The Capitals--coming off a rousing overtime victory Saturday at Eastern Conference-leading Boston--heard boos in their building and pulled starting goalie Jose Theodore after falling behind 4-1 in the opening period."

After the Hurricanes loss: "For the second consecutive game, fans headed home from Verizon Center early after showering the Capitals with boos."

Look, I get that the Caps have been mediocre at home for the better part of a month. I get that Bruce Boudreau, their own coach, said they "stunk" recently. I get that playoff seeding is not to be trifled with, that effort is sort of the minimum that fans ask for, and that in the world of pro sports, January was a long, long time ago.

And yet, for all that, isn't it still soon to boo? Two wretched outings, and the diehard fans that we've been trumpeting on A1 of The Washington Post have had enough? Two wretched outings, and these long-dormant Caps supporters who so love their young and dynamic team decide to humiliate them on their much-praised home ice?

"Fans are getting fanatic," Donald Brashear said, with a smile, when I asked about the boos.

My opinion: You don't want to see your team get trounced the day after beating the East's best team on the road? Fine, leave early. No complaints there. But to boo what's been by far the best team during a massive dry spell for D.C. sports, a team that had virtually clinched a second straight division title by late February, a team that is acknowledged as one of the most exciting in the league, just seems like a strange move to me. Maybe that's just the hockey way.

"Oh, it's a sea of red up there," the Flyers Scott Hartnell said approvingly during a recent visit to Verizon. "The announcer is super loud; I don't know if he's got extra volume when he speaks. The crowd gets fired up. You hear fans chirping at you from the stands; that gets you fired up. It gets them fired up, too. They've got a great home record, so it's a tough building to come in....It seemed like [in the past] there was a lot of empty stands, not a lot of atmosphere. With this Ovechkin player, I think the whole city's come on board."

You could argue, I guess, that "on board" means you scream for the good and show up to boo the bad. And when it's good, as everyone knows, it's been fantastic. Wayne Goetz, the audio engineer for Caps TV broadcasts since Verizon Center opened, said "this is the loudest it's ever been in this building for hockey." He should know.

So I guess if you take the fans at their happiest, you also have to take their scorn. Certainly that's what Caps players said this week.

"I mean, it's not only frustrating for us, losing like that, it's frustrating for them as well," Eric Fehr said of the fans. "They've been supportive all year, and hopefully we can get back on the winning ways and kind of win them back a little bit. We don't really want to hear the boos. But, I mean, they're paying for a ticket to come and see us, so I guess they can do whatever they want."

"They know what we're capable of, and they want to see us perform," Brashear said. "People are starting to catch up on hockey; they know what's going on. Before, nobody would be interested in the team, or in hockey. Now that they're interested, they want to see players perform, because they're paying to come and see us."

Boudreau, who has repeatedly praised the fans this year and last, said much the same.

"They pay a lot of money, and I think if we took the passion away from the fans it wouldn't be right," he said. "If it was our first loss at home, that'd be a little bit different. But we have passionate fans and we love them. If they boo, maybe it'll make us better. That's what we're hoping. Listen, they're people who are passionate, and passionate people want success all the time."

Sure, it wasn't their first loss at home. Those recent disasters were were numbers 7 and 8. But they're still 25-8-1 at home, they're still third in points in the Eastern Conference, they've still provided more moments of joy than any other D.C. sports entity over the past 12 months, by a longshot.

Boo the NFL team when 6-2 turns into an 8-8 offensive morass. Boo the NBA team or the MLB team when they compete for their leagues' worst records. I just think, after weeks and weeks of electricity, this particular hockey team deserves the benefit of doubt before the boos rain down. We all have bad days.

/off high horse, into meeting about the future of The Washington Post that will ruin much of the rest of the afternoon

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 5, 2009; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovie Rips Cherry, KidsPost Rips Snyder
Next: American Basketball Team Grows Playoff Beards

Comments

Some D.C. fans are so dumb, its laughable.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | March 5, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100%, and the next time I'm at a game and someone is booing our guys I'm going to boo the booers.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The fans booing is no different then the coach yelling at them for not playing well.

It is not a big deal, and the players know it as well. We are all back out their tonight going nuts...

If people stopped coming all of a sudden, then it's a different story.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the game on Tuesday? The team had it coming, even the best teams need to get booed when they play like crap. 2 short handed goals given up in a 3 minute span is unacceptable and they need to know we the fans don't pay to see that. The problem is they have gotten so good expectations are so high, I guess that's a good problam to have. The fans are letting them know they can't take any games off.

Posted by: dhartogs | March 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Hurricanes game this week and while I didn't boo I was disgusted by the level of play by the Caps (except for Semin). Yes, there was some booing. I've heard a lot worse. More remarkably, the place was eerily quiet as we were totally out of the game in the second period.

Posted by: JohnnyU2Berry | March 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Depends. By way of example:

Against Philly, when the Caps played hard, but made mistakes, it is not OK to boo.

However, against Florida and Carolina, the Caps simply didn't play hard. It is OK to boo during those games.

Physical mistakes happen. Mental mistakes and poor effort are not tolerable.

Posted by: hockey2290 | March 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Listen, its one thing to boo mediocrity - that's stupid. This was booing for lack of effort. Big difference. Paying north of $100 per ticket 41 times a year in times like these will make you a bit less patient with guys who go at 50% effort for two games in a row.

Posted by: strummerville | March 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I got to attend both last Thursday's game and this most recent Tuesday's game. While I certainly didn't boo, I think it's tough for fans to summon up The Fury when the team's down 5-0 late in the 2nd period and nobody except perhaps Semin seemed to skate with anything resembling a sense of desperation.

At times it seemed like the Caps were skating in mud, or that some minor league team of imposters had been on Caps uniforms. Still, I wouldn't pretend to assume that Caps fans are fair weather friends because they got ugly at the team's two ugliest games of the year.

Posted by: blackjack65 | March 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, many of the fans who attend games nowadays lack the "p" word and only started going to games a year ago.

Posted by: Section117 | March 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I can understand why the fans were booing the last couple of games. The team was not playing up to the level it had been before. They aren't getting booed for their season--which a lot of people think is what is going on--they are getting booed for their play in the last two games.

Keep in mind, that's where the boos are coming from. This town is just like Philly (to a point) and Toronto (to a much lesser degree) in that our fans are becoming attached to our team and our team is not performing the way they are expected to. Far from it. It's right for the fans to boo.

Three years ago, eh, they weren't expected to do much, this year they are expected to light the world on fire and rightfully so. The last two games have brought up memories of the latter part of the black jersey years when they should be Rocking the Red.

I'm giving them time to come around. If they're lethargic again tonight and play uninspired, it's not going to be pretty. DC is not being demanding of their team. They want them to play up to expectations.

Posted by: dj1123 | March 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Brashear's comments are spot on. He played in Philly for a few years -- he knows that when the fans are capable of both cheers and boos *at the right time*, they actually care about the product on the ice.

Knowledgeable boos mean a lot more to a hockey player than polite cheers, I'd wager. Caps fans booing poor effort shows a good maturation of the fan base.

Posted by: DC_Flyer | March 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I was at Tuesday's game and I thought it was sad that people were booing them so much. Did they play like we know they can? No. Do they deserve to be booed off the ice? NO! I felt especially bad for Neuvirth b/c the loss wasn't entirely his fault at all. Yeah they scored on him 5 times but WHY could we not score any goals in response?!

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | March 5, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

we should just booooo the crappy washington post and their childish vendetta against the Redskins
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: jonthefisherman | March 5, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Had I been there, I'd have booed too. It wouldn't have been booing the team and what they've accomplished so far, but their lackluster effort in both games. They looked like they didn't give a hoot, and THAT is unacceptable.

We will lose games, that's inevitable, but to not give a 100% (or to give like 50% like these past 2 games) effort is unacceptable.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 5, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
Read an earlier comment in Boz's blog from Nats player Austin Kearns who said to new teammate Adam Dunn, "Fans here are great, they wont boo as long as you're trying."
I agree 100%, and the reason I was booing was a complete and total lack of effort- it was pathetic and it was terrible.
Ive been a Caps seasontix-holder for years and even during the awful years of 04-07 they were trying,and we did not boo them but cheered. Win or lose you HAVE to give it your best effort.

Posted by: peabody2 | March 5, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Its about effort really.
Now I guess all the high horse Caps fans can stop talking about other cities fans leaving and booing when their team is playing like crap.
The fans arent booing the player, they are booing the effort and rightfully so. Play like crap on a powerplay..get booed..give up 2 goals in 3 minutes, get booed. Play hard for a total of 5 minutes in a 60 minute game..get booed.

What are you supposed to do, give them a pity clap?

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | March 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

My opinion: I was at the Florida game and I was one of the vocal booers. The only reason I was booing was because of the lack of effort. Panthers were getting to pucks quicker, the Caps were making horrible, lazy passes....it's unacceptable. Of course we're going to lose games and I'm OK with that...but don't just skate around and humor us. It's a consistent thread among all players. Jose ThreeOrMore too.

Posted by: ewoldtk | March 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think especially for the second game that the booing was somewhat warranted. The players played like crap and knew it.

However, earlier on, when the Caps were basically undefeated at home, I heard boos after a particularly uninspired power play; game was tied at 0. That seemed like an inappropriate time to boo =P

Posted by: Joran | March 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't boo but I can understand the booing when it appears that the team just doesn't show up to play.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 5, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

The johnny-come-lately fans are the fans that fill the arena and give Ted a profit margin. And anyway, who's to say the booing is restricted to them. Fact is, the paying fans pay the freight, better they buy tickets and boo then stay home and cheer.

I'll just state here, I think Ted is one of the three best owners in sports (and maybe THE best, he's up there with Dan Rooney and whomever I'm forgetting).

What I'm really interested in, is what went on in the meeting? Because I'm thinking automobiles have more of a future than newspapers.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 5, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Boo!!!!

Posted by: Section117 | March 5, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I only boo when they don't _try_. If I'm working harder in the stands than they are on the ice, they're gettin' booed, every time. -JW

Posted by: JWJr | March 6, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

I just don't like booing our teams. But last night at the Leafs game a guy hollered out "You suck, Nylander." And I agreed with him. Loudly.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 6, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

@ ridgley1- I am with you on that one, I am not going to complain at anyone yelling at Nylander or Shultz.

Has anyone ever gone to a game in Philly or MSG? They boo at their team the minute they do something wrong, or the minute Gomez touches the puck! The Caps are lucky everyone doesn't boo them like that. But let's be honest...their play of late is horrible and I pay alot for season tickets...so I want a real effort or I am going to boo. I feel I have bought that right and that the Caps need that kind of negative feedback to deflate their egos at times! I am 100% for the Caps, but I know they are better than the last 3 games and I want to see that!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 6, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

117:
You rang?!? ;-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - NEVER BOO YOUR OWN TEAM.

Sure these losses have been frustrating and I have sat in the VC saying one or two not so nice things under my breath, but I would still never boo my own team. I've been a STH for years and I don't remember all of the boos when they had a losing record; maybe the booers have been spoiled? I suppose they they don't realize just how good we have it. Regardless, the boos are inexcusable.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 6, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

The "fans" that are booing are the "fans" who haven't been watching the team for years....the bandwagoneers...those of us who've watched the Caps when they were bad know better.

Posted by: hockeygrl76 | March 6, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't personally boo them of late.

But anyone who pays for a ticket has the right to do so.

Posted by: mbhowa | March 6, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Lets be honest here. These guys make hundreds of thousands of dollars to go out there and play a sport that many of us love. Some make millions. I am for one a very passionate fan. I pay a lot of money now to go to games and I paid a lot of money to go to the games when there was maybe 5500 of us in the stands. I go there to watch them perform and if they play bad, and i know that they are capable of much more, how am I as a fan going to tell them they are playing bad? Write and e-mail to Dan Steinberg telling them they played like crap? Write a comment on this news article saying that they played bad? Write an e-mail to Ted Leonsis? NO, because not one of the PLAYERS whose salaries that I am paying are going to read/receive any of those comments that I make to know that I am unhappy with them. So how do I tell them personally? I BOOOOOOOO them while I am in the stands watching them play. It doesn't make me less of a fan, or a bad person. Actually in my view it makes you a more passionate fan. It doesn't mean I am going to go to less games because when they do have a bad season again, I will still be in the stands unlike most of the fair weather fans who just decided to show up this year when they started winning. So say what you will about the people that boo. Call them idiots, call them stupid. But the fans that are booing are the real fans that know hockey that were there when they weren't doing so good.

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 6, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Nope hockeygrl76, the Caps are nothing new to some of us, and we still boo. In the past seasons they didn't have the potential they do this season, so we had nothing to boo for, it was just what they were capable of. Now that fans know the amount of talent and potential that is on the ice at VC, they want to see it displayed at games. It's not like people boo them for nothing...but after giving up soft goals, SHG, and numerous unanswered PP against some of the NHL's worst teams...people just want to show how they feel about it. You can feel like you are above it all and not boo, but when these players who are getting paid millions to do what they do best AREN'T, some of us just want to let them know how we feel. It is called consructive critisism.

Posted by: NatyBG | March 6, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

constructive, sorry.

Posted by: NatyBG | March 6, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Just to put this in perpective. This is their job. If you go to your job, perform so a great level all the time and then underperform for one week are they not going to say anything to you? Nope...you'll hear about it the second you slip up. And for the people were there before that dont boo, there is nothing wrong with that. But as I said before, if you know that the team is not capable of performing better, you aren't going to boo.

I just don't see how it can be justified that because they perform great for a certain period of time, or they are the home team or whatever that you shouldn't boo. They are paid by the fans so if a fan feels that he or she wants to let the team know that they are not performing to their expectations then they should reserve the right to do so

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 6, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Much agreed CapsFan44...much agreed!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 6, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

we know they can produce they are lazy and using bad habits -- it's ok to boo -- if they don't like it --- DO BETTER!!!!

Posted by: capsgary | March 6, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

NatyBG:
"You can feel like you are above it all and not boo."
It's not about being above it all, it's about respect and dedication to your team. They've served us well this season - better than EVER - cut them some slack, already. When you start booing people at work or your family members for doing things that you disapprove of, let's talk. Until then, support your team, cheer them on and motivate them to victory. Don't tear 'em down ... that just feels very fair weather fan-ish.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Boo----

When you say booing family members. Do you not tell your kids your disappointed in them when they get bad grades? Do you not punish them for doing something wrong? Your not tearing them down. Your telling them that you expect more from them and you know that they are a better person than that. Now I'm not saying you feel like you are above booing or whatever, it may not be your thing and thats fine. But for those of us that boo, if we had personal meetings with the team to tell them that they were playing like crap we wouldn't need to boo. But since that doesn't happen, booing is our channel to tell them that we know they are better.

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 6, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If they're skating hard and working the corners and the other team just beats them, then I won't boo.
If they're just standing around expecting the other team to roll over, I'll break out the boos.

Posted by: decoy13 | March 6, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Still very much agreed CapsFan44. I might not literally BOO at my family, but I do tell them when I expect better from them. And booing does not make me a fair weather fan, it makes me a passionate fan. I don't shell out hundreds of dollars a month, that I work very hard for, to be a so-so fan. Even if I boo or shout at Shultz for just standing there...I am there at 98% of the games (I only missed one a Christmas) because I love the Caps and what they do. I don't boo at the drop of a hat, but when I feel so overwhelmed by a lack of effort that I want them to know how I feel. I will cut them some slack if they have a bad game, but not 3 in a row! And for the record I have probably booed maybe 5 times this season...and mostly directed at Jose, Shultz, Nylander, and Green if he is trying to be cute!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey.. I have been a diehard Caps fan for as long as I can remember but the boos weren't just for the fact that they lost but for they way they lost them. The 2 games against Florida and Carolina were probably the most lackluster uninspired games I have seen this team play since Glen Hanlon was coaching. If they lost 4-3 or 5-4 and played well, you can't fault them. But, when you get PASTED by those 2 teams on home ice, something is wrong.

When (and if- I don't like to jinx things) the Caps clinch the division, then they can let off the accelerator a bit. However, division games at home this time of year are 2 BIG points that should not be overlooked.

Posted by: DrCapsFan | March 6, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"Boo" you say,
-----------
Again, I too have been a STH for years and the reason they were NOT booed when they came in last for 3 straight years is, because they were TRYING, they didnt just show up, loaf around, and then expect their talent to carry them through.
I remember also, a game back in 03 against SJ when they had Jagr,Bondra,Lang et al, and there were about 5 minutes when the team was so lazy they didnt even touch the puck- just stood around. I recall counting the players to see if it was a PK or even a 5 on 3 (against the Caps.)It was a 5 on 5(!) and that very moment the announcer says, "HEY Caps fans, time to MAKE SOME NOISE!" And boy we sure did-everyone, little kids, old ladies, longtime fans- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: peabody2 | March 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Last night I booed for the first time this season. The guys were bums (outside of Semin and a couple others) for the third straight game.

It was freaking Toronto! We lost to Toronto - at home!

What are we supposed to say "Oh Schultzy, don't worry about the fact you let that guy skate around you like you were a pylon. I'm sure you'll do better next time. Let's hug it out"

NO! These guys need to know that we care and based on some of their efforts, they are not performing nearly what they are capable of.

It is not the fact they lost it is the way they've lost.

Posted by: auntbea2 | March 6, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Was at the Leafs loss on Thursday. Didn't hear much booing at all. The crowd WAS really quiet for most of the scoreless part of the game. Except the Bradley fight.

Posted by: UrbanShocker | March 6, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"It was freaking Toronto! We lost to Toronto - at home!"

freaking Toronto hasn't lost in regulation in their last 7 (8 now), but don't let that little fact get in your way.

Posted by: Section117 | March 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

DC_Flyer,

Well said, and I agree. I pay for the ticket, I show up, and I believe in the team Im cheering for. God damn right Im gonna boo if I have to sit and watch them underperform when I know they can do better.

People will have the right to tell me not to boo when they start paying for my ticket.

Posted by: cc415 | March 6, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I have been season ticketholders since right after the lockout (and she was a season ticketholder long before I met her) - we wanted to get season tickets for the 2003-2004 season, but we wound up spending our money to get married. I've been a Caps fan since the Capital Centre was still being used. And I think the booing is justified in some instances.
For instance - against the Panthers, Mike Green pretty much let himself be used as a screen by letting the opposing player skate right up to the goal. I don't know if that's a tactic, but isn't your defender supposed to take potential shots away, not let them walk it right into the net? This has happened at least twice, and I really don't know what the heck's going on. We've been letting some really easy goals get in lately, and if the team is letting them run up the scoreboard like that, then of course, booing is permitted.

But like someone else said up further at the top - if the teams are playing hard and the opposition simply outplays us and beats us, then they shouldn't get booed. This automatic booing of late is definitely derisive and sometimes may not need to be done.
Look at the bigger picture before you boo.

Posted by: EddieP1 | March 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

As a Wizards season ticket holder who still attends games, I think it's fair to say I know when the team looks like they're just not trying.

These past couple of games (also a Caps partial season ticket holder) the Caps have literally been just going through the motions. I don't mind if my teams lose a good game, but I'm not a fan of paying to watch teams give little effort.

Much like any other professional gets a performance review, I think booing is a way to let them know I'm not happy with their effort. However, I always applaud a team that tries hard and might lose anyway.

Posted by: ChinatownExpress | March 6, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@ Section117

"freaking Toronto hasn't lost in regulation in their last 7 (8 now)"

Let's see here, of the games in the that stretch that Toronto won they beat the Rangers twice, the Islanders, Ottawa, and now the Caps. I guess we should feel lucky the game was so close.

And Toronto just traded away their second- and fourth-leading scorers, while starting a goalie picked up off waiver wires who hadn't played NHL hockey in two months -- but don't let those little facts get in your way.

Well made point Section117, well made point.

Posted by: auntbea2 | March 6, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

They got 2 wins against the 7 seed in the East, and separate points against NJ, Columbus (the West 5 seed) and Vancouver (the West 7).

Seriously, go back to the Skins board, or go over to the Caps board, where your hysterics will fit right in.

Posted by: Section117 | March 6, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

CapsFan44:
No I don't boo my kids because I don't have any, but I get your point. The difference is you are teaching your children when you have those conversations ... I don't think there is much that the Caps can learn from us. I'm not a gambler, but I would bet big money that the Caps know when they are playing like garbage - they don't need to hear it from the fans to be aware of it. And maybe, just maybe, if the booing fans used that same energy to rock the red, it would spark something in the boys that would motivate them to make something happen.

Posted by: Boo- | March 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the comments.

I put a bunch of caveats in what I wrote, attempting to acknowledge that the team was playing stinky. That fact isn't lost on me. And I understand that you're buying tickets, and paying a lot of money for them.

I just go back to that "benefit of the doubt" thing. Sure, if I screw up 37 days in a row at work, I'd expect something to happen, but if I generate mad traffic for the Washington Post during a three-month stretch of brilliance, and then for whatever reason turn in a bad week (which I've done plenty of times)--and yeah, maybe don't even try my hardest--I think I still earn the benefit of the doubt. Even if I've set the expectations pretty high, I don't think I'd appreciate a tongue lashing--especially not in public--and I don't think it would make me into a better employee.

I know they're big boys and some booing won't kill them, but it's hard to imagine it'll make them much better. Has it worked so far?

To each his own on this issue, for sure. I just think some towns would show a little more patience and give a bit more leeway.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | March 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Boo (two posts up) has it right. We SHOULD keep cheering on our boys. It's been really quiet in the VC the last two games. It's time to start stirring the pot and not just wait for things to happen.

By the way, are we just talking about booing when the other team wins or scores, or are we talking about the Caps coming onto the ice and getting booed? 'Cause the former is acceptable, the latter is UNacceptable.

Regardless, I vow to keep cheering as much as possible. Sorry for the people sitting in front of me in 412...

Posted by: EddieP1 | March 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"And yeah, maybe they DO do that in Philly and New York. Which is another pretty good argument against, in my opinion."

The funny part is this, combined with the behavior after Game 7, and some folks are still oblivious to it.

Posted by: Section117 | March 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

forget these booing fans... they are all bandwagon caps fans! Ive been a caps fan through the up and downs. I watched 100s of games when we got killed and will not boo my own team. Go watch the redskins fair weather dicks

Posted by: nferg18 | March 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

maybe these booing fans will stop showing up and i can get tickets again

Posted by: nferg18 | March 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

DanSteinberg1, EddieP1, Section117 and nferg18:
AMEN!! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | March 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree with sargeantmofo and dj1123. They're not getting booed for their season, it's for the last 3 games. Do they really deserve to get booed? Probably not, but when we KNOW how this team can play and they're not playing that way, then that really is unacceptable. They can't just take breaks and not play hard for 60 minutes. I can deal with them playing hard with effort for 60 minutes and losing but the last two games they've seem like they couldn't care less. When you play hard and lose, people will never fault you, but when you play with ZERO effort vs. the Panthers and the Canes, then that is what really is unacceptable. We're so used to seeing them play well that we expect it all the time. And think about the fans going to their first hockey game, they'd probably boo.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
So do you boo? I don't disagree with your points, but I still don't think it justifies booing. Again, boos don't "tell" the players anything that they don't already know. They play over 80 games a season - none of us are 'on our game' every day - so give 'em a break, already. Booing is just silly, a waste of energy and completely disrespectful. And regarding fans who are at their first game, frankly I don't care what they do or think (in fact, isn't that too early to call them fans at all?).

Posted by: Boo- | March 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Boo or not. I am still going to reserve my right to do so when they are playing bad. And when i say playing bad I mean not being able to get the puck out of our Zone on 3 consecutive Powerplays (ie. Columbus Blue Jackets), reaching and letting the guy skate around you, not backchecking, D not hustling to the loose pucks in the corners, trying to stick handle at their blue line, being completely lazy(ie. the last 3 games, except for Semin), TOO MANY PENALTIES. If you watch the tapes on us we are easily beatable because very few of our players like to get the puck deep and our D love to step up every play. All these breakaways have come because teams are stepping up on us at their blue line and forcing the turn over and then flying a winger on a stretch play because very few of our d stay back.

So in order to rectify this situation I think they should make a BOO birds section and I will buy my tickets there. Cause I dont boo for any reason except when they play like crap. I dont boo if our players are hustling and are just getting beat, or catching bad breaks.

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Given my screen name (which I had looong before this discussion started), all of this BOO talk is confusing me. My head hurts ...

Posted by: Boo- | March 6, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the fans can boo. When the team was awful after the lock-out, they did not have the talent but they played with heart and effort. They lost alot but weren't booed. The current team has a lot more talent, but showed no heart or effort in those two games. The poor play, however, wasn't limited to those two games. They are capable of much more and we know it. If booing will make them wake up, then good. Keep playing down to teams lower in the standings and see where they are after the upcoming 10 games against the Southeast teams.

Posted by: NovaCath | March 6, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I see the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" alive and well here. Shame.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | March 8, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse