Went to a Fight Last Night; Hockey Game Broke Out

(By Frederick Breedon - AP)

So say you were trying to explain to a friend in one sentence what they missed by watching American Idol instead of the Caps game last night. Tough to do without mentioning the word "fight." Or let's say you wandered over to this Web site and saw all three fights stacked on top of each other, just a "play" button away. Tough not to click.

All the "should fighting be allowed" talk in recent weeks sort of boils down to that, as far as I'm concerned. If you can look at this clip posted here, in which Donald Brashear gets popped in the face and crumples, and decide "nah, I'm not gonna press play," you can grandstand all you want about the future of fighting. If you, like me, lack that sort of self-control, then you don't really get a vote. I'll just keep my mouth shut and let the grown-ups decide.

Incidentally, I was in the Caps dressing room a few weeks ago when a Caps PR guy was telling Brashear that some sort of radio host, I think, wanted to fight Brashear as some sort of promotion for a segment on enforcers. "Why, they don't even allow enforcers in the NHL any more," Brashear said quietly, with a laugh. But it wasn't in a "hahaha" sort of way.

Anyhow, all those fights, and Brashear's loss, were cause for Puck Daddy to wonder whether there's now an open competition for the top heavyweight in hockey. That's not what I wondered after watching all those clips. I wondered which Caps fan managed to sit right behind the Caps bench with that Unleash the Fury sign. Well done on that one. Hope you didn't get in any fights.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 11, 2009; 10:01 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Morning Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Georgetown Completes Collapse
Next: Gary Williams Breaks Coaching Rule

Comments

On the Caps fan behind the bench, it's probably like when they're home and some fan from the other team is right there...season ticket holder selling their seats for a big premium.

Posted by: capsfan77 | March 11, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

re: caps fans behind the bench. this is a phenonmenon i've been wondering about for a long time. in almost every rink you will see a visiting team fan sitting behind the team's bench. happens in VC all the time. i think whoever owns those seats at VC specifically markets them to visiting teams fans. but you will see it at any arena. watch any hockey game and i bet you will notice it too. stein, you need to investigate this!

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 11, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

i like the image i used of brashear better! it's much more realistic.

Posted by: ian_oland | March 11, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

the front row isn't usually exclusively season ticket holders--at those prices, people generally end up getting a box, which all the plush goodies that coem along with it. The first two rows at the VC are folding chairs! People don't want to shell out $200 per seat per game all season for folding chairs. Even this season, there are some seats in the first two rows for the Caps that are individually on sale. I got a pair as a Christmas gift this year, bought directly from the Caps, not through a third party. (although I heard that most of those first two rows--the VIP seats--will be owned by season ticket holders next season)

And Nashville isn't quite as hockey-mad as DC this year, so I'm guessing that they too have front row seats available for single game purchase. I loved seeing the Unleash the Fury sign!

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 11, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

100% chance Brashear goes after some tomato can in his next game - after all, he has to get back on the horse.

Posted by: kingrob76 | March 11, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse