Ben Olsen Eating Lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl

A few weeks back, a major D.C. United insider hinted to me that I should ask Ben Olsen what he ordered at Ben's Chili Bowl when he went there with an NBC 4 crew and Lindsay Czarniak. The answer? Tuna fish.

"I've just never been a big half-smoked hot dog guy," Olsen told me at the time. "Especially in season, I try and eat the tuna"

But at Ben's?

"Yeah, they have tuna," he said. "I was surprised too, but they've got it."

The video is now out, providing conclusive proof that this actually happened. The best line of the video, though, comes from Lindsay, who asked Ben "Do they treat you special when you come here, because your name's Ben?" Next week: a trip to Clyde's with Clyde Simms, following by Tommy Soehn checking out Tommy Joe's.

Also, watching this was a good chance to play my one-degree-of-D.C.-sports-separation game. Hang with me here.

Ex-Wizard Kwame Brown has no idea what Ben's is....Maybe he should head to Nats Park for their media food tour this Friday....Ben Olsen, meantime, eats at Ben's while discussing his new daughter....Native Canadian now living in D.C. Shuan Suisham also has a new daughter, whom he also discusses on Internet video via Washington Post Live....Like Suisham, D.C. United's Dejan Jakovic spent years living in Canada but now lives in D.C., and is thus going tonight to see the Caps, whose Sergei Fedorov also ate lunch with Lindsay Czarniak....Jakovic's teammate, Bryan Namoff, on the other hand, is going to LeBron James's party tonight....LeBron IsReallyReallyReallyReallyReallyReallygood.com....While KwameBrownSucks.com.

See? Man, I need to get a better gig.

(Via Behind The Badge)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 1, 2009; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When the Redskins Became the RedHawks
Next: SI Loves Jordan Zimmerman(n)

Comments

Anyone else think it was weird that when they were walking down the sidewalk to Ben's Chili Bowl, Lindsay was between Ben and Mehan? Not only that, but Meghan was forced to walk on the street while Lindsay was in the middle pushing the stroller. Regardless, Ruby is too cute. Obviously she gets it from her mom.

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan, when did Czarniak get reassigned to the entertainment beat? Isn't she a sports reporter?

Posted by: JDP_ | April 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

JDP_: are you trying to say that Ben Olsen isn't already a DC sports legend?
@sitruc: Everyone wants to push your baby in the stroller...well, chicks anyway;-) Dude, the first time my sister came for a visit I didn't have to change diapers the whole week!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I love Olsen. I'm just saying this combined with her other food interview makes her a joke. Lets just stop pretending she's there to cover sports and admit whats really going on.

Posted by: JDP_ | April 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

right on JDP... I think she digs sport plenty, I have to admit I'd rather have knowledgeable or even half knowledgeable babes feeding me my sports news than guys like Rob Stone, or Max Bretos! I actually quite enjoyed watching her gobble some hot dogs...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Do you feel her ambitions of being in entertainment are outgrowing her sports coverage, JDP_?

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

When she is appearing in Chris Cooley's movie I think its clear her ambitions are outgrowing her sports coverage.

Posted by: JDP_ | April 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

she actually has some acting experience... and she's gorgeous aint she?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The please, just re-assign her to The Reliable Source.

Posted by: JDP_ | April 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse