Colin Cowherd Calls Me "An Odd Bird"

Forgive the self-indulgence for one moment. Having moved over to FM in the mornings, I sort of forgot that Colin Cowherd still had a show on local airwaves. A grand total of one person, though, alerted me to the fact that Cowherd is still on, and that he saw fit to discuss me this morning. In the contest of Alex Rodriguez using steroids in high school, naturally. A transcript:

I will say this: Here's where it's actually a compliment, and I've said this about my radio show before. The fact of the matter is, if I talk about blogs, it's all over the blogs, cuz they listen, though they hate to admit it. The reality is, A-Rod's one of the only people interesting enough to write a baseball book about. Seriously. You could write about 15 football players, five or six NBA players. I mean, seriously, how many baseball players are even interesting enough to sell a book?....

So yeah, you've got to be careful about this stuff, you really do. He's under a microscope. I think it's a compliment. Seriously. I think it's a total compliment. Remember that guy, about a year ago, it was two years ago...When was the Super Bowl in Phoenix? It wasn't last year, it was two years ago.

So there was a guy from the Washington Post, I don't know if he's still there, Dave or Dan. He was sort of a quiet guy, he was a bald guy with glasses, and apparently he was just writing terrible things about me in The Washington Post. 'Blah blah blah.'

So he comes up to me and he goes, 'I've written terrible things about you, I've just been very harsh to you, would you mind talking?' And he was sort of an odd bird, but I said, 'You know, go ahead, I don't care. You're a blogger, you have a right to rip me. People rip me all the time, I don't care.'

So we talked, blah blah blah blah blah, and then he goes out and writes another article, a friend sends it to me, rips me to shreds. Even though I was nice enough to do it. [I think this is total fabrication; see here - ed.]

But the funny part about that was, a buddy in D.C. calls me about six months ago and says, 'You know, when he used to write about you in The Washington Post, he would get 100 posts. They put him on the hockey beat, he gets four!' He goes, 'So Colin, the great compliment is, you get reaction!'

You know, all these blogosphere guys, take shots at me. You're not doing that about the overnight guy at Fox Sports Radio. Same with Alex Rodriguez. Hell, you can write a book about him, I'll buy it. He's interesting. You're not writing books about guys with the Colorado Rockies, San Diego Padres. So yeah, you've got to be careful about all this stuff.

Incidentally, while my blog software tells me I've mentioned Cowherd's name 15 times since Sept. of 2006, before today I had used his name exactly once in 2009, a two-paragraph item about how he was doing a March Madness radio show from Rockville. And somehow, my 2009 traffic thus far is up 33.5 percent over 2008. Weird. Must have been a rounding error.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 30, 2009; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tortorella: "My Heart Was in the Right Place"
Next: Caps Talk Rivalries

Comments

Cowherd is terrible and full of himself -- talk about a bad combination.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | April 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, Since you mentioned WJFK above I have to ask: did you have any coverage of the Chase Daniel / Chad Dukes Twitter fight from the weekend?

When I heard about it, it struck me as particularly Bog-Worhty: Undrafted Free Agent and Local Radio Host Argue using New Media Fad.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is a joke. Period. This guy lost all respect when the Sean Taylor situation occured. He said some stupid things, and I'm sure he feels like a total prick now that the facts are out about Sean.

DC sports bog is one of the few blogs on WAPO I actually read on a daily basis while at work. It brings a totally different perspective, and I love it. It's not the same old ramblings one would find via typical sports media outlets.

Posted by: cj658 | April 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Colin just wishes he got the love that Dan gets :)

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is unlistenable, and unforgiven for his Sean Taylor commentary.

And bravo on your 2k9 traffic spike. Well deserved, my friend.

Posted by: jamesmottram | April 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say about Colin Cowherd is, "Thank God for Doc Walker".

Posted by: tha_prophet | April 30, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

i have no idea who he is. is his friend his mom or something?

Posted by: MNMNT | April 30, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

He that shall not be named does not deserve a line on the DC sports blog.

Posted by: vtto2485 | April 30, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Doc Walker sucks, albeit less than Cowherd.

He's does this about twice a week, picks on DC or New York to spike the ratings in those markets.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | April 30, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

enough with Cowheard! Dan, I want to know about those deeply angry people from "up north" who apparently had their sense of humor forcibly removed, don't get that the angrier they get the more fun Caps fans have at teir expense, and bomb your in-box with extremely profane messages! Surely they've already started, because its not like anyone works in that "city."

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Can't local radio get rid of "The Herd" to bring back "Blog Show"? Actually, I'd wish they get rid of anything to bring back "Blog Show". Who needs "All Things Considered"?

Posted by: MaxWass | April 30, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Is that the guy who likes to take those really long pauses, or the one who makes a point and then just repeats it, slightly rephrased, five or six times? I think get him and Jim Rome mixed up.

Posted by: petey5 | April 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

petey5, you got it. Rome yells a bit more. Cowheard takes those long pauses and sounds like he has narcolepsy and just falls asleep in the studio.

Cowheard: And I tell you, T.O. is an awful football player. I've seen it with my own eyes, so its ture!

(loooooooooooooooooooooong pause)

Cowheard: What sort of player is T.O? Terrible.

(looooooooooooooooooooonger pause)

Cowheard: When you watch football like I do, you just know that T.O isn't a good player.

lather, rinse, repeat. For HOURS.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 30, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd. That guy still has a show? My bar is pretty is low--I'll listen to any sports show. Except that one. "Seriously"

Posted by: PrinceGeorges | April 30, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Who is Colin Cowherd?

Posted by: bryc3 | April 30, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't care, except that I've been stewing about this for 15 months and I'm bringing it up in a wholly unconnected context.

Posted by: pondaz | April 30, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I think all of your readers, Dan, will agree that our lives will be noticeably better if you never blog/bog about Cowherd again. More Pech, please.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | April 30, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd = Limbaugh. There's a certain segment of the population that loves Rush just because he gets a rise out of liberals like Al Franken. And some people like it when Cowherd picks on cheese-loving blognerds, regardless of whether he's right or wrong. In both cases, like elementary school bullies, negative attention justifies and fuels their idiocy. No more posts on Cowherd.

Posted by: distriteno | April 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes, please. no posts on Cowherd.

And yes, you are a bit of an odd bird. It goes with having a bog, no?

Posted by: PrinceGeorges | April 30, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is a whiny, repetitive, egotistical DC-metro area hater. Constantly whining about something or another, as described by RedBirdie above. Why is he still on ESPN980, anyway? It would do the station a lot of good if they dropped his syndicated show. He never has anything good to say about the teams in our region, right? We have our radio tuned to ESPN980 every day at our store but we hate Cowherd so much we turn it off when he comes on. (My catchphrase: Ugh, it's that whining Cow again. Turn it off!)

Maybe he's confusing the comments made by your bog readers to your own writing because he doesn't pay attention to anything except his name (Cowherd!!....Cowherd is...stupid Cowherd). He needs to get his head out of his own bottom. Bleargh.

Posted by: kinokonoko | April 30, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is such a tool. I still do not know how he is still on the air. He thinks he is so sharp with his off the wall analogies. F him

Posted by: mcvacin | April 30, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I noticed DP was putting in really long pauses his last few months at ESPN. Wonder if they're being over-produced.

Can you believe we lost Mr. Tony for this guy?

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 30, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Cowturd is a b1tch and his show sucks

Posted by: jonthefisherman | April 30, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

The irony, of course, is that here you all go, commenting on a Cowherd post and proving his (admittedly asinine) point.

Posted by: jaycane40oz | April 30, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd sucks. I'm always disappointed when I turn on 980 and hear his shrill voice.

Posted by: brian71490 | April 30, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That guy blows. He makes me think fondly of Czaban.
Dan > C.C.

Posted by: WaPoGuy | May 1, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

"Can you believe we lost Mr. Tony for this guy?"

No, TK quit and they picked him to fill the time-slot.

Sadly, Steinz, by writing about him, he got what he wanted.

Posted by: metatext | May 1, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

My favorite part of a particularly Cowherd-indulgent rant (can a rant have that many long pauses?) is that the implied comparison of himself to A-Rod. So, the question I have is, which part of A-Rod does he want to be compared to - the self-indulgent, whiny, "Waaah, people are mean to me" part, or the steroids-taking, media-hounding, do-anything-for-attention part?

And the "so he rips me on his blog" is completely predicated on him knowing or hoping that most of his illiterate listeners won't bother to actually, you know, click the link and read the post.

Steinz, you are an odd bird. You're into cheese and large-hand-wearing Caps fans. We love you for it.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | May 1, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty clear that the amount of comments posted on this matter prove Colin's point.

Also there's a reason 980 has him on syndication: he brings in great ratings.

Posted by: Fitz157 | May 1, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sure - if by "great ratings" you mean 21st in the market.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | May 1, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd is a tool. You would rock in his time slot Dan.

DB.

p.s. More United please!

Posted by: dvseawolf | May 1, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dan you are the absolute man. I can't stand the Herd. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: Skins211 | May 1, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd is wrong about you Dan. To reduce you to your baldness and nearsightedness is to miss the essential Cheesey-goodness of everything in your Bog-dom.

Posted by: emrj | May 1, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

the only thing good about cowherd is that he rags on uva football hard. other than that he is often a misinformed blowhard. but national sports talk radio is like that though (you too Jim Rome).

Posted by: VTUnited | May 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

are there any admitted cowturd fans? i've never actually met anyone who didn't think he was a poor man's jim rome. very very poor man's version of a pretty lame "personality" to begin with.

Posted by: sec231 | May 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Steins IS an odd bird. Meeting him on opening day at NatsPark made that dreadful, sad, cold, crappy day worth it. Thanks for shaking my hand, Steins. I was expecting you to have grown to at least 6'4" on your vegetarian diet, like Daniel the Prophet, so that you could physically intimidate Cowherd. You two do have some things in common - he was paid so little in his initial job in Vegas that he would sleep in the desert under the stars, and he lunches early at the ESPN salad bar for the fresh vegetables. Let's all have a great weekend watching the Caps crush the Pens!

Posted by: flynnie1 | May 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Isn't his name Colin Coward? I always wondered why they called the show "The Heard".

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"Can you believe we lost Mr. Tony for this guy?"

No, TK quit and they picked him to fill the time-slot.

Sadly, Steinz, by writing about him, he got what he wanted.

Posted by: metatext | May 1, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Ha, right. TK quit. Yeah yeah, that's the ticket. He'd always lusted about the MNF job. Would have never taken a raise to stick around on the radio, and would never consider doing so much as a local talk show while he was off from MNF a la Deion and the Reds.

Right. He quit. End of story. My fault. ;^)

And Patty Cowherd only wins if we listen to the show because of this blog. Anybody doing that? Watch -- try posting that SA Smith stinks.

Posted by: WorstSeat | May 2, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Being proud that people hate your guts--well whatever floats your boat Colin.

Congrats on the traffic Dan/Dave; in spite of (because of?) your oddness I've been recommending you to all my D.C. sport-following friends.

Posted by: icantfeelmyface | May 2, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

info_stuporhighway said:
Sure - if by "great ratings" you mean 21st in the market.

Me:
Those ratings appear to be the whole station. I can't seem to find any for his show alone.

And yes he brings in great ratings. It's why ESPN has expanded his nationwide show to 4 hours and also why it has entered large markets like Seattle and San Francisco recently.

Posted by: Fitz157 | May 5, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse