D.C. Armor Home Opener Photos

(Photos courtesy Reuven Goren)

Saturday was, to be sure, one of the busiest D.C. sports days in recent memory: United at home, the Nats and Orioles scrimmaging at Nats Park, the Wiz at home against the Heat, and the D.C. Armor's home opener. I chose to skip all of the above; luckily, Bog loyalist Reuven sent along a few notes from the Armor's 39-19 loss to the Reading Express.

Plus: The team has a mascot named Maximus who dresses like a knight. This could immediately become the best-looking mascot in D.C., and the only non-bird mascot in the city. I mean, this dude would slay G-Wiz.

Minus: Maximus is actually a server from Medieval Times. Seriously.

Plus: The team handed out crowns to fans.

Minus: The crowns were advertisements for Medieval Times.

Plus: The PA system played "Welcome to D.C." by Mambo Sauce.

Minus: A member of the Armor (Armorite?) was tossed from the game.

Plus: Chuck Brown was there, along with an announced crowd of 2,114, according to The Washington Times.

Minus: There's still no write-up or box score of the game on the Armor's site. (Well, there's an empty box score.) And it's the only AIFA game that's been played this season without a box score on the league site. This makes it virtually impossible for me to continue with my AIFA fantasy league.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 7, 2009; 2:49 PM ET
Categories:  Minor League Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps and Their Playoff Beard Promotion
Next: Stan Kasten Sings a Hymn to Philly Fans

Comments

don't forget that the fans get to keep the balls that go into the stands...but there are no nets. we counted 24 souvenirs on saturday.

anyone want to tailgate before the game against Fayetville on Saturday?

Posted by: olsonchr | April 7, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll wait to hear Wale's opinion on this, but Chuck Brown has piqued my interest.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | April 7, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Where are you guys parking, and presumably tailgating for these games? Lot 8?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh... Topspin's not a bird.
(http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/07/why_you_should_go_watch_the_ka.html)

Oh oh!!! Maximus vs The Knight! Steel cage match! (Maybe we could get Mickey Rourke to be the ref)

Posted by: Grooven | April 7, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I was curious about parking as well(especially when Nats park for free and United use RFK lots). Does anyone know anything?

Posted by: sitruc | April 8, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Tough loss, but you played a great team in Reading. Good to hear there was a decent crowd for everything else that was going on. I'll be down there June 20th for the Erie game.

Posted by: mitchpitt | April 8, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Also..... How could I forget my shameless plug!?

www.aifafans.com

Posted by: mitchpitt | April 8, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

The DC Armor game is supposed to air at 8 p.m. tonite on WJLA digital subchannel 7-3. (Fios/467, Comcast/205)

Posted by: evwill | April 9, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse