Denver Post Rides the Jason Campbell Express

Hey, keep your grubby newsprint off him. He's ours, until Ashburn tells you differently.

It was perfectly fitting that he was at the Caps game last night, being Mr. D.C. Athlete About Town, even as the Internet was lighting itself on fire while discussing Jay Cutler. He's at more charity events than The Reliable Source, regularly goes to Wizards and Caps and Nats and Hoyas games, dates a former Miss D.C., and will smile and sign autographs until the universe implodes.

I don't know or care whether he's being paid or forced to do these things; he does them, and he does them with a smile. He's far from the most popular or charismatic athlete in this town, but if you wanted one athlete to stand as a symbol for this city right now--the actual on-the-ground metropolitan area, and not just the idea of it--Campbell would be the guy.

And sure, there's some self-interest here: like Jim Zorn, Jason Campbell will stand on the steps inside Redskins Park for 15, 20, 25 minutes answering every question put to him. There are a lot of guys who wouldn't put up with it, but it goes along with what I mentioned above.

It's all kind of like George Michael leaving NBC4, or George Solomon leaving The Post. Whether it all makes the broadcasts and the newspaper better or worse, it feels scary and different and somehow cheaper to imagine this town without them.

And when you imagine this town without Jason AND a first-round draft pick, well, it just seems like a bad idea.

(Thanks to the JamieMottram Twitter feed for the tip.)

UPDATED with CSN video. Classy, no? I know, if you wanted class, you'd root for Miss Manners, but still.

http://comcastsportsnet.tv/common/global_flash/player/spe.swf?flv=vidcast_7330&sid=102&d=comcastsportsnet.tv" quality="high" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="320" height="280">

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 2, 2009; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  Media , NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Beer at Nats Park This Season: Good. Very.
Next: A Portis Alias, Len Bias, and Mike Green's Fantasy

Comments

Agreed. I hope he stays too.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | April 2, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Amen. I don't think he will be traded though.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Snyder won't be satisfied until he gets this high paid glitterati team that still fails to go to the superbowl. He will then find a way to pass the cost to the fans as usual. If they trade Jason after what they have put him through I will hang up my hat as a redskin fan and move on to another team. Probably the Ravens since I am Howard County and they are just as close as DC. I am sick of the way black quarterbacks are treated by the Redskins and I feel they have jacked Campbell around enough. Suck the Snyder and the skins too! I hope he goes to Phillie and come back to Roast this town.

Posted by: ivyleague | April 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Depression is turning towards anger...

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | April 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

" ... it feels scary and different and somehow cheaper to imagine this town without them."

I could've written the same thing about you, Steinz.

Posted by: jamesmottram | April 2, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Jason Campbell and a first-rounder for Jay Cutler? No one would be crazy enough to make that tra........oh, crap. Happy trails, Jason. Say hi to Champ Bailey for me. :-(

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 2, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

“Not that anyone's polling me on my opinion, and not that you Redskins fans care about anything besides wins, losses, touchdowns, interceptions and the playoffs, but here's why I'd miss Jason Campbell: more than any current athlete--with the possible exceptions of Chris Cooley, Caron Butler and Ben Olsen--he has embraced the heck out of this city.”

Dan, are you serious? I’m about as committed to Jason Campbell as I am to bran flakes. There is nothing overtly offensive about Jason, and nothing truly spectacular that would make me miss him—either off the field or on. Other than the three that you mentioned, there is NOBODY else in the entire city that plays sports that you’d miss more? Is he giving you part of his paycheck? Cripes. He just is what he is, nothing more.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 2, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

this sucks, its always something with these idiots

Posted by: MadDog20201 | April 2, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@ MarylanDChris

I didn't say there's no one I'd miss more. Obviously I'd "miss" Gilbert Arenas more, for sheer entertainment value. Portis, too. But I don't feel like they'd miss US, which I guess is my point.

Jason has bought into being "The Quarterback of the Washington Redskins," and all that means, in addition to saying "hut hut" a lot. Gilbert HAS NOT bought into being a franchise guy, and neither has Clinton.

Caron Butler goes out of his way to praise D.C., and to show his face around town. Ben Olsen is a legit part of the community. So is Jason. He may be bland, but he's a fixture, and yes, I'd miss that about him. There's no guarantee Cutler would embrace the role in the same way.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | April 2, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ive held on to my season tickets not with the hope that we get "nice guys who embrace the city" but in hopes we become a powerhouse again. Campbell is NOT a franchise QB, Cutler is a STUD. Its that simple. See you later Campbell, I hope you "embrace" your next city.

Posted by: gcastle1 | April 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler is surly and overrated on the field. And our lines are old old old. This would be an awful, awful trade.

Posted by: pipkin42 | April 2, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

JC17 is a stand up guy. He has done everything said in above article and more. Synder and Cerrato need to leave town. ASAP

Posted by: karl_grebe | April 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sell the team now Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: karl_grebe | April 2, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gcastle1 | April 2, 2009 2:23 PM

Simply put, this is flawed thinking. If the Redskins could trade Campbell straight up for Cutler, then fine, maybe that would be an option. But that won't happen, and dealing multiple draft picks for a quarterback when the team has several other positions to fill is just poor decision-making.

Cutler is probably better than Campbell, but is he so much better to overcome the rest of the team's needs? No, he's not.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | April 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Cutler is just another finger in the dam. Snyder is a bull-headed loser moron, and until he convinces me otherwise, the Redskins will never be successful with him as owner.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Dan... HUH??

Thanks for responding to my post, but your reply made absolutely no sense for several reasons. Oh well, what's the point in continuing this? 'Tis just a way to waste time at work any way. Carry on...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Love how Dan finds the time to respond to posters who misread his blogs.

Posted by: amalg | April 2, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The Skins fan base should come together and buy out Danny boy and own the team like Greenbay...

THIS SUCKS!!! NO Cutler...please!!!

Posted by: Berndaddy | April 2, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

amaalg, I am DYING to know how I could have misread the following line to mean what Dan suggests that it means in his reply post:

"...but here's why I'd miss Jason Campbell: more than any current athlete--with the possible exceptions of Chris Cooley, Caron Butler and Ben Olsen"

Please, enlighten me. If you choose not to, I’ll assume that we both are in agreement that you were wrong ;-)

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 2, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

agreed. Keep Jason, forget the Jeff George wannabe.... I want to see Jason in the second year of an offense. ESPN and SI have both said the Jason Campbell "is on the brink" of being an elite QB. KEEP Jason -- Let Jay go to NYC - where he can get his drink on until 4 a.m.

Posted by: dah1963 | April 2, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

You're ignoring the colon. He's not saying he'd miss Jason Campbell more than any current athlete. He's saying that other than perhaps Cooley, Butler and Olsen, Jason Campbell has embraced DC more than any other current athlete.

Posted by: amalg | April 2, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is "alright" and left alone will probably be pretty good this year. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have a killer instinct and when you play the Cowboy, Giant and Eagle defenses twice a year, you have to have a daring, gusty kind of a cocky mean streak about you that makes you roll out on a blitze and throw a 60 yard sideline bomb on some of those constant blitz packages the NFC East seems to always deploy. Jason Campbell gets fixed on Santana Moss and if he ain't open, he goes right to his 5 yard check down back who of course only gets 2 yards a catch. Lets get a gun slinger who makes you pay for blitzing and giving him coninued one on one coverage on his 3 wideouts and All Pro Tight end!

Posted by: PAULBOND0077 | April 2, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@ PAULBOND0077:

And you have to earn that confident mean streak by being allowed to grow into it. When your owner and GM constantly change the system, coaches, and meet about trading you, how can you carry yourself with any sort of confidence?

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 2, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about an "...athlete to stand as a symbol for this city right now"? What does it matter that he "...will stand on the steps inside Redskins Park for 15, 20, 25 minutes answering every question put to him"? He's standing there answering questions about another pitiful loss. I won't call him a loser, but he is definitely not a winner. Forget Campbell.

Posted by: hylocichla_mustelina | April 2, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Up the road, the Ravens won with Flacco this year. The Redskins need brute heft up front, period. Jason is not the problem. Dan Snyder is a team killer. Every SINGLE Redskin fan that I know absolutely dispises him.

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | April 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The picture in this article says it all...Campbell standing there with the ball in his hand while Santana Moss is wide open 25 yards downfield.

Posted by: theruffs | April 2, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

amalg and more so, Dan,

Time for me to eat humble pie. My bad.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 2, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we should keep him, you know...because he's a nice guy and we wouldnt want to hurt his feelings.

Posted by: thewrittenword | April 2, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Cutler to the Bears.

Campbell stays?

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | April 2, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell is NOT a franchise QB, Cutler is a STUD."

I agree that JC17 isn't a franchise QB. But calling Cutler a stud?

Cutler's starting record is 16-20, and has never been to the playoffs. He did that with a solid O-line and with receivers the likes of Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley.

If the Skins trade their first round pick (and maybe a second) to get JC6, who the heck is going to protect him?? Broken-down Jansen and Kendall? And who is he going to throw to?? Double-teamed Moss and ARE?

So you take Cutler with his big arm and you throw him into a WC dink-and-dunk offense with no O-line and no receivers.

Isn't that what we already have with JC17?

I think a trade is senseless. We will give up alot to get what we already have. If you are going to give up high draft picks and a QB for someone, at least get an upgrade for f**cks sake.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | April 2, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

don't worry, cutler's going to chicago.

Posted by: sec231 | April 2, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he will be traded though.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 2, 2009 1:56 PM

Told ya

Posted by: Barno1 | April 2, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell = Class. So glad he didn't get traded. This town and franchise doesn't deserve this guy...but I'm so glad we have him right now.

I just pray that some disaster doesn't happen on draft day (like trading picks to get Stafford or Sanchez or something stupid like that).

Posted by: TheDuck1 | April 3, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

great post Dan, glad this didn't happen.

Posted by: trolly_time | April 3, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"I'd miss Jason Campbell: more than any current athlete--with the possible exceptions of Chris Cooley, Caron Butler and Ben Olsen--he has embraced the heck out of this city".

Good article, but your forgetting to mention the only MVP we have had in DC since 1983 and the greatest player in the world at his sport, Alexander the Great. Ovechkin is the only player I would get upset about leaving the area.

Posted by: F0X7 | April 3, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse