Devin Thomas Has Many Chips on His Shoulder

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

After bemoaning the fact that D.C. has so few athletes Twittering earlier this week, here comes Devin Thomas to the rescue. "Jus chillin," he noted yesterday, with characters to spare. Wale reference?

Devin's also blogging on his Web site, and it seems he's noticed your criticism of his rookie campaign. His first entry:

I've always had people doubting me. Do I play with a chip on my shoulder? I've got a party mix of chips on my shoulder. I wear number 11 on my jersey because I was 11 years old when I first knew that football was my thing, but also because 11th was where I thought I was going to go in the draft to Buffalo.....It didn't happen and I stayed around into the 2nd round. Now I do what I've got to do to prove that I could have and should have been a 1st rounder.

It's funny, I had never associated the "chip on one's shoulder" thing with actual potato chips, but hey, why not? Me personally, I've got Chex Mix plus carrot sticks with ranch dressing on my shoulder. More Thomas:

But I don't need to look at my number for motivation. When it says Thomas on my jersey, that means it's Showtime, time to do what I have to do....This season Redskins fans can expect a more reliable guy, more intense, a guy who's going to be out there making plays because it's my time to do that. This is the year I make the coaching staff have to use me.

You know me, I always want more athletes trolling for online fans, though this didn't work too well with the last Redskins wideout who wanted to blog. Thomas, though, at least seems more self-aware: yesterday's entry once again talks about proving people wrong. Oh, and speaking of self-awareness, here's who he lists as his hero:

"Myself. I look at myself like a superhero. More like Batman, because I can't reveal my true self. People either love or hate you, you can't get everybody to love you. Still, if people don't like you, at least you can show who you are and why you do what you do."

Show us, Showtime.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 10, 2009; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Retire the Gold
Next: Ted Leonsis Times Two

Comments

mmm...chips...(make mine tortilla with a side of guac)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 10, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

uuugh.... Shut your mouth Devin and just make it on the playing field. Then catch some balls. Then run/dance/walk into the endzone. Nobody cares about your chip right now, just prove yourself.

Posted by: Mustachio | April 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

At one point in the season he had more Offensive Pass interferences calls then catches. That makes it easy to doubt him.

Another waste of a draft pick. Nice Work Vinny.

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 10, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I know the odds are against it but as a fan I do hope he works out.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 10, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Note to Devin Thomas:So far your only claim to fame is the LaBron James commercial for state farm( Kid and Play CD)so don't go runnin off at the mouth "KID" Just Play and Produce, and oh yeah tell your boy "PLAY"(Kelly) to get well, we're gonna need him this season.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 10, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean he's ready to run his routes pass the first down marker?

Posted by: peterandmeredith | April 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

God forbid he has growing pains during his rookie season in the NFL, we all know how easy it is to play in that league. Who are we comparing these guys anyway? Rice, Brown, Harrison? I tell you I don't know what's worse, a badly managed football team or impatient, unreasonable fans.

Posted by: OkayUSA | April 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why we doubt Devin Thomas??? Geeeeeeeeeee, maybe you’re making a lot of money and you’re having trouble learning your position and you come to camp out of shape? You did Zip last year and the latest odds from Vegas have you failing this year. Lazy and stupid, that’s it….that’s why we doubt you.

Posted by: Bean1 | April 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to blame Kid n Play or Prop 48 for not contributing more to the offense. That blame goes to the coaches for not finding ways to utilize them. You simplify the plays and you find ways for them to contribute. How hard would it have been to send one or two of those guys long on every pass play? The safeties would have to pay attention to them and that would open up the underneath stuff for Cooley, Thrash and Randle El. If the safeties start to ignore them going long, you take a shot or two downfield. You don't have to learn the whole WC Offense playbook to contribute. Blame the coaches for this one.

Posted by: SPUD2 | April 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"Jus chillin," does not jive with "proving people wrong." Hey Devin, get a clue: you suck because you don't work hard enough. It's as simple as that.

Talk is cheap buddy. You want respect you're going to have to work your butt off to earn it.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

This guy is a moron...or possibly retarded. If he is actually retarded, I apologize. Otherwise he needs to get a clue. He is an embarrasment of a professional athlete - NOT a superhero.

Don't teams bother to even meet a player face to face before drafting them? Thirty seconds with this guy would be more than enough to tell you he is a waste.

Posted by: marksmen | April 13, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

NFL history is filled with weak azz wide recievers that had "chips" on their shoulders...

Posted by: unojklhh1 | April 14, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse