ESPN.com is a Little Confused by Zimmermen
A few quick Nats things I needed to get off my computer.
* I'm sure someone has done the research on the number of professional sports teams that have had two players whose last names start with Z and are just one consonant away from being identical. I've not yet seen that research, but I don't think it's happened very often.
Looks like the Nats will be dealing with this for a while, and I anxiously await the faux-serious ad in which the two switch wallets, or whatever. In the meantime, let's just note that ESPN.com believes Ryan Zimmerman (R) is the Nats' fifth starting pitcher. Busy guy, to handle that while also manning third, which ESPN.com also has him doing. When I looked at the page, there was a large ad for MASN, featuring Ryan Zimmerman bragging about his home run prowess. (Thanks to reader Bryan).
* And now a man with an owl at Nats Park. (Mr. Irrelevant)
* This is old, but here's Majestic's statement on those Natinals jerseys:
"All of us at Majestic Athletic want to apologize to both the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball for accidentally omitting the 'O' in two Nationals jerseys last week. We take 100 percent responsibility for this event and we regret any embarrassment for the Nationals organization, players and fans.
"Outfitting all 30 teams and 750 players is a duty we take very seriously. Majestic has been trusted on-field for over 25 years. Based on our history, clubhouse managers expect that every new uniform from Majestic is perfect. For the Nationals, this time we did not meet this standard."
What, were the shoulders cut incorrectly or something? (Biz of Baseball)
* The Reliable Sourcers also got a statement from Majestic, plus an interview with Uni Watch. For "it to happen to two players on the same team in the same game -- it's unprecedented," Paul Lukas told them.
* A reader asks whether the Nationals themselves are so unremarkable that the team really needs to put the photos of random people on its tickets. If this woman is not random, I apologize. And if every sports team in the world puts random people on its tickets, I apologize again. Thanks to reader Terri for the pic.
* Finally, a few people asked why I've said nothing on the Elijah Dukes Little League story. As you may or may not noticed, my name was actually on top of the Elijah Dukes Little League story, after that of Dave Sheinin, who did all the heavy lifting and beautiful writing. My paltry contribution: someone I've known for a long time, who's affiliated with the Great Falls Little League, called on Monday to give me a heads-up about the fund-raising thing.
As for my opinion, I don't really have one. I don't think anyone winds up looking too bad, and I think the Ward 8 Little League out of King Greenleaf Community Center is going to get a nice check out of it. (Several out of town Little Leagues have volunteered to help raise the fine money, and all the excess is going to the Ward 8 league.)
I'll have more on all this when the cash is actually delivered, but I also want to give Justin Tryon the "strangest appearance by a marginal Redskin in a national Nationals story" award. Justin, as seen below, was another special guest at the Great Falls Little League opening day. And our photographer, Toni L. Sandys, was there for a completely different assignment, which is why we just so happened to have this and other pics.
(Also, the link has vanished, but I later realized that the Washington Examiner actually broke this story first. Sadly, everyone else is now writing "as first reported by The Washington Post. Not true.)
Posted by: RobotDC | April 22, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: joebleux | April 22, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bizzleboy | April 22, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: colerwilson | April 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: brian71490 | April 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: WaPoGuy | April 24, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: CPortisRun | April 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan13 | April 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.