ESPN.com is a Little Confused by Zimmermen

A few quick Nats things I needed to get off my computer.

* I'm sure someone has done the research on the number of professional sports teams that have had two players whose last names start with Z and are just one consonant away from being identical. I've not yet seen that research, but I don't think it's happened very often.

Looks like the Nats will be dealing with this for a while, and I anxiously await the faux-serious ad in which the two switch wallets, or whatever. In the meantime, let's just note that ESPN.com believes Ryan Zimmerman (R) is the Nats' fifth starting pitcher. Busy guy, to handle that while also manning third, which ESPN.com also has him doing. When I looked at the page, there was a large ad for MASN, featuring Ryan Zimmerman bragging about his home run prowess. (Thanks to reader Bryan).

* And now a man with an owl at Nats Park. (Mr. Irrelevant)

* This is old, but here's Majestic's statement on those Natinals jerseys:

"All of us at Majestic Athletic want to apologize to both the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball for accidentally omitting the 'O' in two Nationals jerseys last week. We take 100 percent responsibility for this event and we regret any embarrassment for the Nationals organization, players and fans.

"Outfitting all 30 teams and 750 players is a duty we take very seriously. Majestic has been trusted on-field for over 25 years. Based on our history, clubhouse managers expect that every new uniform from Majestic is perfect. For the Nationals, this time we did not meet this standard."

What, were the shoulders cut incorrectly or something? (Biz of Baseball)

* The Reliable Sourcers also got a statement from Majestic, plus an interview with Uni Watch. For "it to happen to two players on the same team in the same game -- it's unprecedented," Paul Lukas told them.

* A reader asks whether the Nationals themselves are so unremarkable that the team really needs to put the photos of random people on its tickets. If this woman is not random, I apologize. And if every sports team in the world puts random people on its tickets, I apologize again. Thanks to reader Terri for the pic.

* Finally, a few people asked why I've said nothing on the Elijah Dukes Little League story. As you may or may not noticed, my name was actually on top of the Elijah Dukes Little League story, after that of Dave Sheinin, who did all the heavy lifting and beautiful writing. My paltry contribution: someone I've known for a long time, who's affiliated with the Great Falls Little League, called on Monday to give me a heads-up about the fund-raising thing.

As for my opinion, I don't really have one. I don't think anyone winds up looking too bad, and I think the Ward 8 Little League out of King Greenleaf Community Center is going to get a nice check out of it. (Several out of town Little Leagues have volunteered to help raise the fine money, and all the excess is going to the Ward 8 league.)

I'll have more on all this when the cash is actually delivered, but I also want to give Justin Tryon the "strangest appearance by a marginal Redskin in a national Nationals story" award. Justin, as seen below, was another special guest at the Great Falls Little League opening day. And our photographer, Toni L. Sandys, was there for a completely different assignment, which is why we just so happened to have this and other pics.

(Also, the link has vanished, but I later realized that the Washington Examiner actually broke this story first. Sadly, everyone else is now writing "as first reported by The Washington Post. Not true.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 22, 2009; 4:19 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Stuff: Ratings, Curling, Poti Sucks
Next: Newest Skins Corner Can Hit Hard

Comments

Thank you Dan for pointing out that the other guest was Justin Tryon.

Posted by: RobotDC | April 22, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"If this woman is not random, I apologize."

I would guess from the fact that she appears to be holding up a t-shirt in preparation for tossing it into the stands, and that she has many of the letters in the phrase "nat pack" on her shirt, that she's in fact a member of the Nat Pack. So, not a player, but a member of the organization, and not really totally random.

Posted by: joebleux | April 22, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan - Are you sure that the photo of the pic wasn't to show everyone that he/her can afford awesome seats, while guys like me sit in section 403?

Will you please ask the person who sent in the photo of his/her ticket, if I can have their seats to the next game featuring a random broad on the tix? Awesome!

Thanks!

Bizzle Boi AKA Scottie Snippen

Posted by: bizzleboy | April 22, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

81 freakin' games, of course they're going to run out of picture subjects. You've only got a roster of, what, 25 dudes, maybe you throw in a couple guys from the coaching staff, the bat boys, each of Racing Presidents... and you're still a few dozen pictures short.

Good for them, throwing in the Nat Pack. Though I would love to see one of the beer vendors featured. They're the ones who make the games a bit more tolerable.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Nats nattering, Dan. :-)

Yet another indicator that ESPN.com is clueless.

The owl and his handlers have been at numerous games in the past, if I recall correctly. It has to do with a local conservation organization.

Re. the ticket, uh, yeah, her lofting of the rolled t-shirt, the jacket, and the fact that she's standing on the field are all good indicators that she's a Nat Pack member and not a random fan. Wonder how many games that random reader gets to.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for pictures of cute girls on the tickets. I think all local teams should adopt. The Wiz could have their dancers, the Burgundy and Gold could have their cheerleaders, and the Caps could put on...Nikky Backstrom?

Posted by: colerwilson | April 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I've seen that guy with the bird on his shoulder at many Nats games. Several times last season, and twice already this year even though I've only been to four games. I have no idea why he's there, but I have the theory that he and his bird are scaring away fans. Blame all attendance woes on him until further notice.

Also, I believe if you could ever track down that bird's nest, you'd find a couple of shredded red and gold letter Os in there somewhere.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Good one, nunof!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It's made stranger/sadder when you scroll down and look at the games of the week.

4/20 vs Atl
W 3-2

P - J. Zimmermann
C - J. Flores
1B - N. Johnson
2B - A. Hernandez
3B - R. Zimmerman

Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I wish the Post would cover the O's like they used to. It's too sad waking up every morning to news about the Nationals.

Posted by: brian71490 | April 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to the O's...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

1. I'm part of the Lonely 9,000 and I've probably been to about 15 to 20 Nats games, and even I can tell the young lady is most likely with the organization in some capacity.

2. In Ryan vs. Jordan: Ryan arrived first, one "N" in "Zimmerman"; "Jay-Z" arrived second, two Ns in "Zimmermann."
Hey, what can I say? It's simplistic but it helps me--I'm just sayin'.
Go, Nats!
(I want a Half-Smoke so bad right now.)

Posted by: WaPoGuy | April 24, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Damn, Dan the Man, we need another post bro

Posted by: CPortisRun | April 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Dan-That girl on the ticket is Clint's new weekend co host.

Posted by: natsfan13 | April 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse