More Game One Images

Amazing that within 24 hours, you can see both this poster and a message board thread comparing Boudreau to Glen Hanlon.

Bad: Sean Avery in Jose Theodore's face. Good: Those red stanchion things, seen here as the broken glass was replaced. Better: the guy who ran down to the front row while the glass was being replaced with his Avery Sucks sign.

Apropos of nothing, John Tortorella had his thoughts about a few calls and non-calls yesterday. This came up when he was asked about Mike Green smashing laying out Fredrik Sjostrom, I believe.

"I just don't get it sometimes," Tortorella said. "I'm not gonna play referee, but I have Dan Girardi's call at the beginning of the game, and I have a non-call there. It just makes no sense to me."

I just thought this looked cool. Incidentally, a friend who roots for the Rangers has derided Caps fans for buying Ovechkin jerseys to the exclusion of all else. This photo doesn't help. If I'm not mistaken, the ratio here is 5-2.

Yesterday I wrote about John Druce. Here's his Game 5 series winner against the Rangers in 1990, miraculously dug up by The Post's Greg Manifold. Still waiting for this year's John Druce to emerge. I will note that that series ended on April 28, which is the scheduled date for Game 7 this year.

(Photos by Toni L. Sandys - TWP, and AP.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 16, 2009; 5:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Discuss the Caps and the Playoffs
Next: Video Friday: Boudreau, Portis and Ovechkin

Comments

It's the playoffs, how do you think people will (overre)act?

I bought a Backstrom Jersey just so I wouldn't be another Ovechkin, but c'mon would this college have complained about all Gretzky jerseys?

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 16, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahah this college. Me and my awesome typos. Make that colleague.

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 16, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

That's funny, last time I went to a Rangers game, the only jersey there was Mark Messier, and he hasn't been in the league in more than 5 years.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | April 16, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

silly torts. guess he forgot about the two non calls on the rags first goal. one of their guys interfered w/ flash behind the play (i'm actually ok with that non-call in the playoffs cause they were both behind the play, but it was a penalty none-the less) and of course avery with the trip on green at the blue line that sprung gomez.

oh, and then that silly avery continuing to push green into the rags bench. i guess it makes no sense to me either.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 17, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I would refute the Ovechkin jersey complainers by linking to the numerous Bog and Puck Daddy features of Caps Jersey Fouls.

We lead the league in those.

Posted by: stormblue | April 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Testing comments.

Posted by: Bob Greiner | April 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

My wife made that Bruce-Dollar! (Actual value > $1)

She has a blog where she blends Hockey and Design here:

Posted by: eMcCormack | April 22, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse