Ovechkin on Lundqvist and Varly

Quotes from Ovechkin after this morning's practice. For the record, he was wearing an AC Milan Kaka jersey at the time. Why no Ben Olsen jersey, Alex?

On Lundqvist: "Well, he win three games. And I think it's enough for him, he can't win another game like that if team doesn't help him. It's gonna be hard for him to stop the pucks, have some opportunity, have some luck. And I think he knows that, too. If we're gonna play the same way, probably it's not many chances [for the Rangers] to win the game. If we're gonna play same way how we played last game first two periods, not third period."

On Varly's nerves: "He's ok. He's good. He don't care about Game 7 or Game 1. You can talk about it with him. If he can speak."

On the difference from Game 7 last year: "I can't remember, it was year ago. But it was pretty amazing how the team come back, especially against Philly, losing 2-0 over there probably, so we come back and win the game. It was very exciting and very emotional game, and we play back to back, so in this time probably we'll be sleeping."

On being the favorites: "It's not matter. It's seventh game of a series. Right now, I just think about relaxing and being ready for tomorrow's game. Tomorrow's gonna be huge, and I think everybody understand: media, fans and our group of guys who realize we can't make same mistakes like last year."

On the opportunity: "Last game was biggest game of the year at that time, so right now this game is biggest game for us. And everybody knows, it's final game for the series and if you win you move forward, if you loss you go back. So I think the opportunity that we have right now, it's huge, and we just have to use it and beat them again."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 27, 2009; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nice Work on Those Suspensions, ESPN
Next: Varly's Having a Birthday

Comments

How can such a good hockey player have such a crappy taste in European football clubs?

Posted by: Section117 | April 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

He just wants to have a Kaka jersey before theyre all sold out of Man U. Kaka ones next year.

Posted by: pdrysdal | April 27, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Milan totally blows.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | April 27, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

i love the exact quotes used throughout this piece on ovechkin... hilarious.

Posted by: mopp04 | April 27, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Why not a DC United Bryan Namoff jersey?

Posted by: sitruc | April 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, part of me thinks it's insulting. This is a guy who is still learning the English language remember. I don't think we see black athletes quoted verbatim as often, and I'm referring to those that are born here yet do not use proper English. Oftentimes, they are given a pass and the quotes are amended to reflect proper grammar when in fact the athlete did not use those exact words.

But for some reason, it's okay to quote an Ovechkin or a Pecherov word for word in broken English. Why is that--because they are immigrants? Because the PC police won't hunt you down like they would if you were quoting a black athlete word for word?

I am not singling out Steinberg for this. Many, many reporters do the very same thing when it comes to foreign athletes. And I'm not saying there isn't a gray area here. Reporters are put in an awkward position when it comes to these quotes. But if it were me, I'd edit these kinds of comments from all athletes. If for no other reason than I wouldn't want to encourage poor grammar to my readers.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Actually, as a Russian speaker, I think it's ok. Otherwise the reporter invariably has to start interpreting, and that's a bigger problem. If a player feels awkward about speaking, he should keep it super-simple or ask for a translator, until he learns the language.

Posted by: VladG | April 27, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Also am not a fan of quoting the word "uh." You don't see it all that often anymore unless a reporter is trying to make someone look bad--President Bush being a prime example of this (Reporters simply loved to throw all his "uh"s in there to make him sound like an idiot).

Ok, moving on to another subject. Since Sally Jenkins doesn't have a blog I'll resort to giving her props here. I rarely agree with her on any issue, but today's piece was great.

I have never seen a professional sports team whine the way the Rangers did in their letter to the NHL. And not only did they come off as crybabies, but the letter looked like it was written in about 2 minutes and not in your typical lawyer-speak that you would expect in a letter like that. Very odd indeed. Kudos to Sally J for calling them out on it.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg has been pretty consistent about quoting the players in their own words. Russian, Brazilian, American...all the same.

Posted by: tha_prophet | April 27, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, if it's inside quote marks, it's supposed to be exactly what the person actually said. Word choice, use of fillers like "uh", any dialect, etc.

I don't know if that's just Washington Post policy or if it's universal among newspapers. But they're not supposed to do any interpreting of quotes. If they want to say what the person meant without using their precise words, they can paraphrase without using quotation marks.

Posted by: duffin_j | April 27, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse