Ovie Watches the Rangers [UPDATED]

A few minutes ago, all the media members buzzed quietly when Alex Ovechkin came out to watch the Rangers' morning skate. This, several veterans said, was slightly unusual. Then they buzzed again, when Ovechkin was tapped on the shoulder by a Caps' PR staffer and abruptly left.

Turns out Rangers boss John Tortorella a Rangers official had apparently asked Ovechkin to vacate the bench. The Caps PR folks offered Ovie a seat in the stands instead. He declined.

Playoff hockey is fun for all.

UPDATED: Tarik and I pretty much took care of asking the principals what they thought. I bit the bullet on Tortorella:

"Oh, God, I didn't even know," he said. "This is the first I've heard of it. Ask me a question about the game, not that [bleep]."

Tarik took care of Ovechkin:

"I just [wanted] Tortorella [to get ticked] off -- and he was," he said, explaining his motivation. "Because they afraid of me," he added, when asked why he was made to leave.

And last, Boudreau:

"I think it was more of a lack of knowing the rules, that's all," Boudreau said. "They asked him to leave; he left. He just went out there and he wants to be around the rink. I don't think he had a pen and paper, writing down line combinations or anything, but I can understand, I've gotten into the same arguments with different people when I want privacy in my practice, so I can understand what John was going through as well. As long as he's out there at 7 o'clock, we're fine."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 20, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: So, 1-10 Again, Huh?
Next: Varly Reps Mother Russia

Comments

This photo is great. It looks that Ovie is deep in thought like how can I crack these guys?

Maybe Bruce sent him to spy!

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 20, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Classic. Good post.

Posted by: orangechico | April 20, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

OVIE is on a mission. caps win series 4-2

Posted by: mopp04 | April 20, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Not like he was spying. Kind of hard to miss him sitting there and I'm sure some NYR person complained to get him removed. I think he was just trying to rattle them. Can you imagine trying to practice w/OVIE staring at/through you? Very funny!

Posted by: AmyS1 | April 20, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

i love the caps... but it looks a bit desperate to me.

Posted by: dupa3 | April 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@dupa3

Why does this look desperate? While not an everyday occurance this isn't unheard of. I think it just shows Ovechkin's drive to win.

Posted by: ouvan59 | April 20, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

its head games, which this series has been full of. its not different than Avery's usual games, or Torts crying about the Caps winning face-offs after game 1.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 20, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Classic! I love Ovie's "Thinker" pose.

Posted by: CapsChick | April 20, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

This is classic!! How can any hockey fan not love Ovechkin - the guy is GREAT for hockey!!

Posted by: govtimbo | April 20, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The move is a stroke of brilliance on the part of Ovie... anything to get into their heads. That Tortorella is thinking about that... hee hee

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | April 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

In the end what matters is who wins the game. Let's hope it's the Caps, otherwise we're in a world of hurt.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | April 20, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

hahahahhaha oh this is just hilarious!

I actually got a ticket to tonight's game which is a funny story in itself- I made fun of a guy wearing a Devils jersey, we became friends (turns out he's from Edmonton and is traveling to see different games)and I paid for his $27 bar tab for their extra section 116 because his friend couldn't make it to the game. Basically this validated my bad behavior and I will continue to make fun of other fans in the hopes I get more tickets.

Aside from bragging about that story, I agree this move by Ovie looks a touch sketchy but that is the point, its all a head game. Odd move but whatever gets under Avery/Torilla's skin is cool by me...

Posted by: mrszilla | April 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Rules? Please. Ovie's in the vistor's bench, and why should they care? Nervous, much? NY and the Rangers should be afraid.

Posted by: JG-CapsFan | April 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers are so scared of Ovie that they keep trying to intentionally get in the way of his shots. Then, they discovered that they liked it so much, they decided to intentionally get in the way of everyone else's shots, too.

I remember when our team used to do that.

I really wish our players would shut the hell up.

Forget winning a playoff series. Try winning a playoff game.

Hell, try scoring a goal.

Posted by: writered21 | April 20, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

SCARED?!?!? HEY PEOPLE... THEY ARE UP ON US 2-0 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dupa3 | April 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

dupa3:

I think that was sarcasm.

Posted by: rw-c | April 20, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This was news?
BHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted by: caphcky | April 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO RANGERS!!!
caps are hurting fosho maybe you can win a fight tonight but thats about it...

Posted by: NYeverything | April 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

he looks like he is dropping a deuce

Posted by: ThePhiladel | April 20, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I love this. Ovie is so good for hockey in so many ways, it's just unreal.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | April 20, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that this was a great idea. I bet Boudreau chewed his (rear) out for doing this.

I have always wondered about the Caps open practice. If someone spotted an opposing coach in the stands at Kettler what would they do?

Posted by: MKadyman | April 20, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse