Playoff Beards and Mohawks Begin

We had one good beard, and one good mohawk at Caps practice today. The beard was provided not by any players, though a few are already scruffy, but by this older gentleman who showed up with a strap-on. I asked him six, seven, eight questions and he refused to answer me in any language besides Russian. It's unclear, but we think he was actually Russian, though he definitely spoke English and was parrying my interview attempt. Anyhow, great, great playoff beard. Best I've ever seen.

(Incidentally, Wash Times columnist Thom Loverro is sitting next to me, and informs me that his beard dates from 1974. It's older than I am. Weird.)

Then there's Mike Green. I didn't go to his mohawking this morning at the Elliot in the Morning studios, figuring once was enough. It was even the same hair dresser as last year, though the mohawk seems a bit more pronounced. I told him that the kids in the stands just crush his mohawk, and he acknowledged that, but he does what he does.

Oh, and Elliot got his, too. (Via the EITM Twitter.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 14, 2009; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. vs. New York in the Postseason
Next: Playoff Reflections: Matt Bradley

Comments

If only there weren't professional "standards" of "decency," I'd be a 'Hawked-out, Bearded freakazoid now through (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, rubbing rabbit's tail) June.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 14, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan! Great stuff as always!

To go with the mohawk thing, check out some shirts that support that trend such as these two: http://www.zazzle.com/playoff_hawk_womens_white_spaghetti_tshirt-235872497922773322 (women's) and http://www.zazzle.com/playoff_hawk_blue_tshirt-235788109058109189 (men's).

Posted by: pizzagoal | April 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

106.7 WJFK please, Elliot and DC101 blow.

Posted by: js4rester | April 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I prefer the Junkies too (and have been listening to them since they were on in evenings), but give Elliot some credit. He has been a supporter of the Caps ever since he's been on the air here. Even during the bad times.

Most of the Junkies will readily admit that they know next to nothing about hockey, and are bandwagon fans.

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | April 14, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

TwoBuckChuck, Bernie Madoff was an avid Mets fan and supported them for decades. If I were a Mets fan, I still wouldn't like him. I just think his radio program is lame compared to 106.7 WJFK's lineup, regardless of Capitals support. At least the Junkies admit they are not familiar with hockey, other than Cakes.

Posted by: js4rester | April 14, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the Junkies’ show is better for the most part. But as a Caps fan, I appreciate all that Elliot has done to support the team over the years. That’s all. He has a pretty decent sized listening audience, and he supported the team when most of the the local media pretty much ignored them.

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | April 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, I feel the same way about the Junkies as js4rester feels about Eliot.

Anyways, welcome one and all to the Caps wagon, but I'm still going to stick with the people that have supported the Caps and hockey through it all. And before Eliot, Ballard was a huge puckhead at 101. Don't you remember the best afternoon drive quiz game ever: "Foreign Food or Hockey Dude?"

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 14, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the Russian guy with the beard Ovechkin's dad. He's always at practice and it looks like it's him under that beard. If it's him, that's pretty funny.

Posted by: ab6126a | April 15, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse