Redskins Season Tix Wait List Gone?

A few weeks ago, I got a call from a Redskins ticket representative. He wanted to offer me some fabulous and affordable club seats.

"In my opinion the best, most comfortable seats in the entire stadium," he told me.

There'd be a private escalator. A cigar lounge. Access to Hooters. Payment plans, in which I'd only have to put 25 percent down, and then would pay more in May, June and July.

Sounded good, but what I really wanted was just regular old seat-seats, minus the Hooters and cigar lounge. "You're looking around 10 years probably; 8 to 10 years," he said.

So fine, they weren't going to sell me season tickets. Maybe, I thought, there actually was a waiting list. And then I saw yesterday's City Desk item by Bog friend and neighbor Dave McKenna, who got his hands on a letter offering up to eight Redskins season tickets to a recipient who hadn't even requested any, with a $25 gift card to boot.

"This looks like the most desperate measure the team has ever made to dump tickets," McKenna wrote, "and sure makes it look like whatever waiting list there once was has been reduced to nothing. (If even one person was still on the list who actually wanted to buy Redskins tickets, why would the team bother offering tickets to random folks not on it?)"

It's a puzzle, to be sure, because I was willing to fork over a credit card back when I got the call and my offer was refused. McKenna had previously authored a comprehensive look at the history of the wait list, which was numbered at about 40,000 when Daniel Snyder bought the franchise. And sure, the area has grown and prospered since then, but it is a bit curious that as the number of seats grew, the team foundered, and the game-day experience devolved, the standard wait-list number managed to quintuple, to the point where it's 10 times the size of an average Nats crowd.

Anyhow, I'm now extremely insulted that random people can buy eight tickets right this very minute but I have to wait until 2019. I blame Smoot.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 30, 2009; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats: Helicopter Hunting and Bowden Bloviating
Next: D.C.'s Best Sports Mustache

Comments

It would be pretty easy to clear off the waitlist by offering up club seats to anyone on it and then taking them off the list if they declined. Maybe that's where they've gotten to at this point.

Posted by: ah___ | April 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The waiting list is now a figment of Dan Snyder's imagination I believe.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Due to them not being able to find my original account several years ago, I ended up having two accounts. Apparently they updated the system and three years ago I was offered tix on my first account, which I now have. Then the second number has come up. I have called more than once to let them know that I am the same person as the other suzannepdc and that I have my tix - so someone else on the wait list could have them. Apparently, this has not happened. The first time around, I found out over the phone by buying the extra tix to a random game - this time? I have gotten at least two emails from Jim Zorn, about 3-4 phone calls, lots of stuff in the mail, etc. I thought it may be the economy and that people who are on the list cannot afford the tix once their number comes up, but who knows? If I can move down a little bit in my seats, I'm happy!

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Club seats have always been available and offered to current ticket holders and the general public alike.

Also, "regular" season tickets have been been pretty easy to get for current holders. My cousin added 3 tickets to our package without having to join the wait list. Interestingly, she decided to dump them this Spring. Like many fans, she's done with Snyder.

Don't believe the hype about profits and waiting lists - this is a franchise severely in decline. The place is never full - and a large percentage of those coming through the turnstiles support the visiting team. From the McKenna article (quoting Redskins letter): ”Resell your tickets at a profit via StubHub for any game you are unable to attend!”

No other single fact about the Snyder regime epitomizes the death of the Redskins experience more than this. Snyder gave up on trying to reduce scalping - and away fans - a few years ago with his StubHub deal (can't beat 'em, join 'em). Now they're actually encouraging fans to subsidize their ticket plans by selling to Eagles and Cowboys fans? The inmates are running the asylum.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The waiting list is, if it exists, is being bypassed by the organization. Several years ago, when they expanded the seating, a friend with club seats was offered up to 4 regular seat subscriptions. This person bought them so she could sell them on Ebay. This must be a part of their club seat marketing. Presumably, this was offered to all club members. The rich get richer at the expense of the poor. I'd be mightily upset if I've been waiting all these years for a subscription.

Posted by: jgluke | April 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Horribly run organization. Danny boy is tearing down and destroying this beloved franchise.

THANKS DANNY!!!!

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

People on ExtremeSkins would debate this by saying, "Oh, it's McKenna. He has a vendetta against anything Snyder. His paper has no circulation...blah blah blah."

I tend to agree with McKenna. Want proof? Go outside FedEx Field right before game time. Hustlers are all outside of the stadium with HUGE stacks of tickets in their hand willing to sell to anyone with cash. Parking passes, too. I've seen people negotiate a purple parking pass down to $20.

I got E-mails from Jim Zorn (supposedly it's him) and letters saying my name is now first on the list and I can get my season tickets. I threw the paper in the trash, and have forwarded everything from the ticket office to junk mail. Why buy season tickets when I can get tickets outside the stadium for much cheaper?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

1. I believe Zorn actually sends emails.

2. The Redskins are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | April 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I have already received letters from the Redskins this year offering me season tickets. "It's a once in a lifetime opportunity" the letter reads. Guess that's why they've been sending me these for three straight years.

Posted by: kgunnar | April 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

Why get season tickets if you're selling your house?

Posted by: metatext | April 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Guys whats the big surprise here?

Here is the seat breakdown -

Club level - ALWAYS available and NOT sold out. Maybe sold out by the time the season starts (many to corporations who dont make use of the tickets hence the empties) but in the offseason you WILL get a phone call asking to buy club seats. This is how its always been.

Lower Level - none available. only available to club level transfers and MAYBE longtime upper level transfers.

Upper level - waiting list. Sure, much of the 200k is Fred Flintstone or Ellie May Clampett, but make no mistake there is a waiting list.

I guarantee you, the person who was cold called and offered 8 seats was either on the waiting list, offered club seats, or mistakenly THINKS they were upper or lower level seats when they were club seats.

Dan, I always liked your writing, seemed very unbiased. I expected a piece like this from JLC not from you. You know the deal with club level man, why even put a piece like this on the site?

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | April 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

CantwaittoseeJLCgo couldn't have said it any better. You know I love ya Steinz but this is VERY old news, several years old, and not news to begin with. They've been placing these calls, sending these emails for at least 5 years now and it doesn't take anything away from the actual waiting list unless you don't understand how it works.

Also, Kev29, who wrote "Now they're actually encouraging fans to subsidize their ticket plans by selling to Eagles and Cowboys fans?" You're not really this stupid are you? Dan Snyder and Co do NOT want Eagles and Cowboys fans taking over Fed Ex. You're out of your mind pal.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

CantwaittoseeJLCgo=Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I signed up for the season ticket wait list about ten years ago, and finally came off this season. I'm not sure if this supports or takes away from Dan's argument... but there yah go.

Posted by: ol-brob | April 30, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I've been guessing for years here and at ExtremeSkins that the list is drying up. Snyder's like slash and burners farming in South America. He bought a good fanbase and waitlist, has monetized it as quickly as he could, and now there's nothing left. He didn't bother to replenish the soil. It's all washed away. Snyder has a very short-term outlook.

Anyhow, I had obstructed views for 3 years while I was waiting on my name to come up, and a few years ago the Skins started selling tickets "returned from the visiting team" for many games. Last year that included Dallas -- face value tix the Friday (iirc) before the game.

You're also seeing the StubHub price go down a bit, as speculators have started, I believe, getting more and more of the seasons tickets on speculation. That's how you see the Pittsburgh away game in FedEx.

More tickets mean cheaper prices...
... means more availability on secondary markets
... means fewer see the need to buy season tickets to go to the game
... means stubhub prices fall, demand for season tickets drops, and the stadium loses the ability help the team win.

All for Snyder's short term buck. Nice.

My name came up this year. Forget it. They won't stop bombarding me with emails and letters. And a $100/ticket charge for each seat. Forget it. From a guy who took trains overnight from Charleston, SC to sit behind a pole to a guy who won't go farther than the local bar to catch his favorite team.

It's sad, really. Snyder's always put money before winning, and it's getting to the point with the loss of home field that I can comfortably fault him for it.

[end rant]

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 30, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

how legit is the Skins waiting list process really? 200K on the list? Yeah right! I was on the list from high school (1981) and was somewhere in the low 20,000 based on the annual postcard they used to send out. When they moved to JKC / Raljon - I was STILL on wait list - took 2 years to get off - then I bought 3 seats (with Tailgate club to get lower bowl seats). I turned them back in / did not renew for this season because I was so tired of the commute, the drunks, etc (trying to explain to my 8 year old daughter who loved going to games why people were so obnoxious was just not worth it).

I have gotten probably 5 mailings and a few emails asking (begging) me to sign up for tickets.

Maybe the Skins can answer this - I was on the list, got my tix and now don't want them. Why are they asking me again to buy them when there are SOOOOO many (200K) who want them. I had my chance why are they so desperate to get me back.

I had my "once in a lifetime" opportunity - now I watch in HD from the comfort of my man cave.

I smell trouble in Raljon.....

Posted by: fiji128 | April 30, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I signed up for the waiting list about 6 years ago, and I started getting letters and emails last year that I could buy tickets. But it's just too expensive, and I didn't want to buy preseason tickets and don't enjoy sitting on 495 all day on Sundays, so I passed. But I'm still getting the offers.

I don't think this was biased reporting at all. I would like the Redskins to address this potential discrepancy, but I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: sherry7 | May 1, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I finally came off the waiting list last year and since then, I've gotten offered season tickets no less than 4 times for regular seats. It does indeed seem that there is no longer any waiting list thanks to the mismanagement of Dan Snyder and a mediocre game day experience. The Skins really could learn something by showing up at the Verizon Center and seeing how the Caps do it, because the overall game day experience is much better than it is for the Skins at Fed Ex Field.

Posted by: rawk | May 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse