Rob Dibble Thinks the Nats Have 90 Win Potential

The season is finally here, and Rob Dibble is fired up about the Nats' chances. Like, really fired up. Did you read his blog last night?

The same people who said before the 2008 season that the Tampa Bay Rays who won 66 games in 2007 had no chance are choking on plenty of crow this year. The Rays went from 66 wins to 97 in one year and won the AL East; so why is it so hard to believe the Washington Nationals can't go from 59 wins to 92?

Well, because the smart baseball nerd types said the Rays would be massively better last year. They're not saying that about this year's Nats. But Dibble also speaks from experience; his '90 Reds, he notes, were 400-1 to win the World Series. "Anytime you want me to show you my WS ring, let me know, I really won't mind..." he writes, in an especial bit of modesty.

And if you think he was fired up last night, you should have heard him on the Junkies this morning, when 92 wins was yesterday's news:

"It's just a question of who's got the best team, who's got the guys that are the most unselfish," he said. "And I think the Nationals have a lot of what it takes to win 95 games, they just don't know it yet. They have to believe it."

Ninety-five! Get me re-write on that travel budget, please. Since the Vegas over-under for Nats wins is something like 71.5, I guess you'd want to take the over. But there are some caveats. What does this squad need? Not a leadoff hitter who will take pitches and get on base, or its most dangerous hitter in the starting lineup. They need nastiness, grit and self-belief.

"The one thing I'd love to see from these guys? Just be a little bit meaner, a little bit tougher," Dibble said. "And I don't meant that in a bad way. You have to gain respect as a pitcher. Pitch inside. And I'm not talking about starting fights and stuff like that, which I have the reputation for, but to me you have to protect your teammates so they can do their job. You also have to go out there and show everybody, you know what? I don't care if Johan Santana's across from me tonight, I'm gonna stick it to them and I'm gonna show everybody that we mean business....It's your responsibility to go out there every day and prove that you're not gonna mess with us....I kind of love that Get Your Red On slogan, because you need to see red. You need to go out there, it's your job to establish that you're not gonna be messed with."

YNGBMW efficiency, as the stat guys would call it. Dibble will, for sure, make me more likely to watch Nats games sound-full. More nuggets:

On John Lannan: "I wouldn't say he's the ace of the staff because they're all aces, you've got to look at them all as number ones. You can't say ok that guy's a number four, number five, because if you start putting that in his head, he'll pitch like that."

On the WBC: "I'm not a believer in the WBC....It's almost like an All-Star game, even though I've played in All-Star games, I still didn't like the other guys that were wearing different uniforms in the same locker room. You know, so you're thinking, 'Oh yeah let's be buddy-buddy for a couple weeks? It's not gonna happen."

On Barry Bonds: "Actually, Bonds is not a bad guy. I like a guy who's edgy and chippy, and if he's talented I don't care...."

On the Lerners: "The Lerner family really loves baseball, and they're gonna turn this franchise into a winner."

On the Nats: "It's up to them to be kind of like the Rays last year. They gotta keep saying, 'Listen, it can be done.' They have to have a belief system that this can be done--I'm in the Major Leagues, and it doesn't matter if the Phillies are in our division, or the Mets or the Braves or the Marlins. They have to take it on themselves and say, 'Listen, we're the Nationals.' "

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 6, 2009; 4:45 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Mason's Pep Band Adopts Bemidji
Next: Morning Bog: Opening Day Payback

Comments

Nationals - 90 wins?

Is the season 250 games long?

Posted by: writered21 | April 6, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

If every pitcher is an ace, you wouldn't know it from today's game.

Posted by: ramgut | April 6, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

With rich analysis like that, you'd never know that the guy was on the Nats' payroll.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | April 6, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

From my limited experience listening to Dibble, he talks about himself... a lot. He's bordering on excessively self-indulgent already in my book. (of course, I'll probably meet him next week, after which I'll never say anything critical)

And interestingly, Manny Acta's pep talk to the team was "you gotta believe". I love the message. But.. I gotta believe he didn't get the idea from Dibble!

Posted by: misschatter | April 6, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I also have the potential to marry Erika Eleniak 15 years ago. Right?

Posted by: KireDCU | April 6, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

90 wins in this road kill season?

This new guy in town is taking too much LSD.....he is delusional....

Don't run your mouth with false Koolade absurdities...or you will WEAR OUT your welcome quickly ....

It will take a miracle for This starting rotation to only LOSE 90 games....

Posted by: unc1dmo | April 7, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

yes the Nats will win 90 games over the next two seasons. Correct.

Posted by: nativedc | April 7, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The Nats do have a lot of what it takes to win 95 games. Specifically, they have 75.8 percent of what it takes (72/95 = .758, with rounding).

Posted by: Lindemann777 | April 7, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey don't go jumpin all over Dibble he's smart,trying to keep his job Acta's too laid back for this team to show any fire if you to "SHAKE UP THE WORLD" then you have to have a manager who believes and sadly thats not Manny.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Crack. Scary, scary drug.

Posted by: NFBLooser | April 7, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday was a bad game but an interesting game in that every misgiving you might have about this team was exposed. The outfield defense misplayed balls into two doubles and an inside-the-park HR. The middle relief couldn't shut down the opposition right after the Nats would have a good run-producing inning - the GS to Ramirez was practically an underhand pitch belt high and in the middle of the plate - unbelievable - and the infield defense was also not good almost in a nervous sort of way. But - they do have a potentially potent offense and what seems to be good depth. I think the starting pitching is going to be a pleasant surprise but the middle relief will need some studs. Let's get back to .500 this season and then get the 95 wins next year.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 7, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I like this guy, DIBBLE!!!!!

Posted by: Pete433 | April 7, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL lolllllllllll HAAHAAAA AHHAAAAAAAAAAA ! 90 wins...... oh .. thats the funniest joke I've heard all year... I cant stop laughing hah ha lOLlllll

Posted by: rlomax67 | April 7, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Ahh-so...Pete says: There is only ONE person in world who knows what it takes to win world series. Until final game, everyone knows.

Posted by: Pete433 | April 7, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse