SI is Confused About the Caps' Goalie

My name is Simeon, SI. Real respect real, y'all. Though in truth, he's changing the spelling of his first name next year, so that people pronounce it right. (Note to SI: He's not changing it to Henrik.)

Oh, and what did young Mr. Varlamov's teammates think of his showing? "Zero goals? What do you think?" Viktor Kozlov said.

That's pretty much what they thought.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 20, 2009; 10:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Welcome to Twitter, Donald Brashear
Next: On Luck, Gamesmanship and Sean Avery

Comments

I can't believe I just finally gave in and joined twitter, but it was so worth it to read Varlomov's milk comment (though I question that a strapping young Russian has gone this long without a bit of Vodka).

Damn you Steinberg for writing such fantastic useful information that I must have access to in real time.

Posted by: ChinatownExpress | April 20, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

VARLY!

clap clap

VARLY!

clap clap

VARLY!

clap clap

i'm friggn wwasted

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 20, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The other day, NHL.com called him "Sergei Varlamov". And Yahoo! has gotten our Russian players' names confused at least twice.

Great game.

Posted by: hareharey | April 21, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

...the announcers on TSN tonight also called him Sergei Varlamov. They said Avery took a penalty so the Caps were going to the box. The Rangers were up 3-0. It continued all night... it was quite comical, and I'm beginning to wonder where they're finding their announcers, I thought Canada loved hockey? Can you love something and not know anything about it?

Posted by: DCTexan90 | April 21, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

No one's noticed this yet, so I'll point it out: What's an "0-3 hold?"

Dan, you say he's changing his name. What will his new name be?

Posted by: Incredulous2 | April 21, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Ha, I should have said changing the spelling of his first name. He's going with something like Semyon I believe.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | April 21, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Maybe that was a Russian headline run through Babelfish.

Posted by: sitruc | April 21, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The MSG feed was showing the lines for the night at the beginning minutes of play and spelled "Federov" incorrectly... they also said it was the typical line of Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kozlov. Great job.

Posted by: rh71 | April 21, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, you spelled "Fedorov" incorrectly.

Posted by: christiansonm | April 21, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Semyon is the most correct way to transliterate his first name. I'm not sure where they got Simeon from, but that's not how it's spelled in Russian.

I also definitely understand why they didn't go with Semen, which is another common way to transliterate it.

The "yo" part instead of "e" comes from the this. If you look at his name written in Russian the 2nd "e" has an umlaut over it (2 dots). The umlaut makes it sound like a "yo".

Speaking of that, if the same rules of transliteration are applied to 2 other Russian players on the team their last names would be spelled in English like this: Fyodorov and Syomin.

Sasha could have really used that spelling, but I guess his PR guy was not as aware of the abuse he was gonna be subjected to by spelling it Semin.

Posted by: ranndino | April 21, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino

A lot of players don't like to translate the Russian umlauted E which is why varlamov may have gotten Simeon.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | April 21, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I looked at this later in the evening, about 45 minutes after it was posted here. The Lundqvist thing was not corrected, but the word "hold" was changed to "hole."

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse