That Ted Leonsis Look-Like

I was talking to the Ted Leonsis guy on the 400 level yesterday when Ted Leonsis showed up on the Verizon Center monitors light in the third period. The fans gave that Ted Leonsis a standing ovation as he waved and clapped.

"I mean, he did a good job dressing up," my Ted Leonsis said of the guy on the screen. "It's nice; you know, I'm trying to appreciate the fans, and it's good that somebody else is doing the same thing."

"Hey Ted, I'll tell ya, you've gotten younger buddy, you've gotten younger," mumbled one fan as he walked past us.

By the time the 400-level Leonsis was shown on the screen himself earlier in the afternoon after earning Fan of the Day honors, he was already up on the Capitals Outsider blog. "Matt Gorsuch," I thought, when I saw his name. "That sounds familiar."

Oh yeah, his dad, Mike, dressed as Santa Claus during last year's home finale. Next year, little cousin Billy plans to dress as the Easter Bunny, no doubt. Anyhow, it's probably easier to find a Santa costume than a Leonsis get-up, so I asked Matt how he got the look just-so.

"I went and got this [hair] yesterday," he said. "I used special shampoo for the shine."

Although what actually happened was his girlfriend, Anna Kent, went to a Hagerstown Party City on Saturday morning, where she was the first customer, and she left with black hair paint and a faux-Elvis "Greaser Wig," which they turned into a "Leonsis Wig" by trimming the bangs and sideburns.

"Because, you know, Ted's not a greaser," Anna noted.

"I thought the hair was a little too Elvis-y," said the real Leonsis, who obviously has a discerning eye for such details.

Matt's blond beard was turned black in a Metro parking lot Sunday morning, and the "My #87 Can Beat Up Your #87" shirt was made with Wal-Mart supplies and a slogan the fans in 408 had been tossing around for weeks. He went with the t-shirt-over-dress-clothes instead of sweater-over-dress-clothes because he couldn't afford another blank jersey, and went with 00 on the back because he couldn't think of anything better. And then eventually a Caps employee spotted him, and he was shown on the screen, and he came down to Ted's suite and got a photo with the real deal, which his dad never did during the Santa Claus days.

As for the why, Matt and Anna are first-year season-ticket holders--"It was either season tickets or cable TV, and we chose season tickets," Anna said--and have found Leonsis rather unique in the landscape of sports owners. The use the same words everyone's been using this season: approachable, accessible, knowledgeable, a real fan, and whatever else. Yesterday being fan appreciation day, Matt figured he'd flip things around, and having worn mildly outrageous costumes to the arena before, he wasn't worried about appearances.

"I mean, I tend to do things to embarrass everybody else that's with me," he said.

"When we were first dating last year, he came in his full regalia with his three-foot tall red white and blue hat," Anna pointed out. "You know, it breaks you in early. You can either be horrified or have a good time with it."

"I was shocked," said Leonsis, who couldn't recall ever seeing a look-a-like before. "It was good, though, huh?"

(See also: Capitals Kremlin.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 6, 2009; 11:38 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Now That's a Strange Way to Deal With Loss
Next: More Nick Young and JaVale McGee Dancing

Comments

Everyone in the photo seems to be confused by the Ted lookalike.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | April 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is the new "Potvin Sucks!" of our time.

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"I really hope that all the Caps fans who have that T-Shirt wear it to game when they are not playing the Penguins. Hilarious. Just proving the Pens' fans right."

You're back?

You know, for someone who spends most of their time deriding a group of fans for their "obsession" with your hero...

You sure do spend a lot of time on these blogs obsessing about that obsession. Which is more pathetic obsessing over another team's player? Or obsessing over another team's fans opinion of your favorite player?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 6, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If you recognize me, then you sure do spend a lot of time obsessing about a person obsessing over a fanbase's obsessing with my favorite player...

I have a headache now.

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

You're name is "KellyBuchbergersHelmet," and you're a silly Pens fan who caused a stink last week. It has nothing to do with obsession.

I advise you not to leave though, the Bog is some of the best work on this site, and it deserves all of the click traffic that you and your fellow obessive little Pens fans provide, frantically hitting F5 to see if someone has sullyed your baby boy's good name.

Click more, post more, and tell your freinds.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I am a Pens fan, the Bog is solid (when Steinberg isn't talking about Crosby), and I don't know what f5 does. I tend to stay away from the "F" buttons.

I live in Virginia, read the post online, and don't mind reading the Bog.

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

*Pens fans* use as ammo, not the Pens obviously

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"One thing the Pens use as ammo is the "Caps fans hate Crosby more than they like their team" card. You have to admit, wearing that T-shirt to a game in which the Penguins aren't even involved doesn't do much to refute that claim, eh?"

Does no player in the NHL wear the number 87? Does no one on the Thrashers wear that number?

Statements like that don't do anything to dispel the notion that Pens fans are convinced that the world revolves around them. Let me guess, you get really upset when you read a bumper sticker that says "My Australian Shepard is smarter than your honor student," because you think that the bumper sticker is explicitly referring to *your* honor student?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 6, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if that was a serious question or you were trying to prove a point, but no Thrasher wears #87. I can't think of any other player other than Crosby or Brashear that wears 87 (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure even if the Thrashers had a #87, someone wouldn't take the time to make that shirt. Maybe Garnet Exelby will change his number, and your argument will make some sense.

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Pierre Turgeon wore 87

Posted by: Grooven | April 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Grizzly Adams had a beard

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 6, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

You were the one that said correct you if you were wrong.

Posted by: Grooven | April 6, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"It actually doesn't hurt my feelings, because I know that Australian Shepherds are very smart dog's. I just tell little KellyBuchbergersHelmet to keep trying, and one day he may be as smart as an Australian Shepherd. If he never achieves that goal, I at least know KBH, Jr. is smarter than you, because he knows how to spell shepherd."

OMG, really?

You derided me for a spelling mistake in the *exact same* paragraph where you used "dog's" as a plural?

Have another IC Lite.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 7, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

You got me. I guess KellyBuchbergersHelmet, Jr. and Australian Shepherds are smarter than the both of us.

IC Lite is a disgusting beer. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't find it in Virginia.

Posted by: KellyBuchbergersHelmet | April 7, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse