The Beer at Nats Park This Season: Good. Very.

Yay.

A year ago, I took a food tour of Nats Park and spent the entire trip asking Stan Kasten about beer choices. He pointed out that I seemed to be obsessed; "one-track mind," I believe was the quote. And since I ended the season having drunk precious few Nats Park beers, I think it was a fair complaint.

But I just got the list of beers that will be offered at the Red Porch this season, and trust me, I will not be drinking precious few Nats Park beers this time around. If success on the field has any correlation to beer options in the stands, you should be in line for a massive improvement. I mean, playoff contention-style improvement.

Bottles: Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bell's Oberon American Wheat Ale, Harpoon Summer Ale.

Draft: Peroni, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Southampton Triple Abby Style Ale, Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen, Williamsburg Tavern Brown Ale, Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager.

In other words, if you want to drink to "I can't remember what happened in the third inning" levels, that will be a lot easier and tastier this time around.

(Via Beer Advocate, but this complete list was provided by the Nationals.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 2, 2009; 1:08 PM ET
Categories:  Beer and Cheese , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LeBron, DeAngelo and LaVar
Next: Denver Post Rides the Jason Campbell Express

Comments

Arrogant Bastard isn't Stone's best offering, but that list is an awesome revelation nonetheless. Great news!

Posted by: mgv4232 | April 2, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Oooooo, Flying Dog! They got some actual Maryland beer! Good Maryland beer at that.

Posted by: EricS2 | April 2, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

For you gluten-free folks out there, I'm told by the Noah's Pretzels folks at Verizon Center that they will have Redbridge (gluten-free beer) at Nationals Park just like they do at the Phone Booth.

Drink up.

Posted by: WebberDC | April 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Flying Dog is not good, the UFO Hefeweizen is though. And Dan how about some price list also?

Posted by: JDP_ | April 2, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

That's pretty cool. I bet they're going to be $$$ however

Posted by: awiseman1 | April 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

WOW. That is quite the impressive list. Maybe I'll finally make it to the new park. Thanks for giving this very important element the press it deserves.

Posted by: tkelly29 | April 2, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

awiseman...probably need to add a few $$$$$

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Who do you have the bribe in this town to get some Guinness at the ballpark? They had it on draft at RFK!!

Posted by: wblake04 | April 2, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

90min IPA.

Drool.

Posted by: OldDude | April 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Finally! Some decent beer at nats park. A 90minute and baseball. It'll be just like home only I'll have no money left. Good work nats.

Posted by: WrongDog | April 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm no marketing expert, but if Sam from Dogfish did some sort of tasting event at the ballpark, wouldn't you be willing to empty your savings account to go drink Palo Santo and Midas Touch from the bleachers? Or is that just me?

As for $$$, Tracee Hamilton is doing the media food tour tomorrow, and might get more details.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | April 2, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Very nice - but I'd say its a bit too micro-friendly. Take out a couple and maybe put on Guinness and maybe Smithwicks or a nicer European lager than Peroni (I'll miss Pilsner Urquell). Also, half the taps are usually off when you go up there.

Sorry - that was a little Buzz Killington of me.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Sounds pretty good, but maybe it's just me but id prefer to have more local beers. bell's and harpoon are great but they arent anywhere near regional. at least dogfish head is from within 200 miles of dc.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | April 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Arrogant Bastard was Tuesday's selection for my Beer A Day calendar.

I enjoy Bell's Oberon, but I wish it were on tap. Peroni seems to be wasting space there.

And does this mean the Leinie Lodge is no more?

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 2, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

They had Guinness a few times at Nats Park last year. I exclusively remember getting a few pints during the Memorial Day Weekend Series with the Brewers, a few games against the Phillies, and games leading up to and on "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day".

Though, no more Blue Moon? What the hell!

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | April 2, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I looked everywhere for Guinness last year and could not find it - probably the only disappointment in the new stadium - The Old Dominion Home Run Ale was decent but often not available - this list is promising except I still wish we had Guinness

Posted by: sjm3091 | April 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, there is always other ways to drink Guinness in Nats Park AND be more affordable then $7 per pint. Hint, hint.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | April 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like an average Screaming Eagles tailgate to me...

Posted by: gocaps2 | April 2, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Any chance these MUCH IMPROVED list of offerings will be found anywhere besides the Red Porch? I had seats on the upper level last year and had to walk from the far 1st base side to the far 3rd base side to find decent beer.

Agreed that more regional offerings would be great.

Too "micro heavy"? Did you miss the part of the list that includes Bud, Miller, Coors, and the usual crap beers? And Blue Moon? Please. Give me Allagash White any day.

Posted by: JennX_ | April 2, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I meant the draft list - who cares about bottles.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

No Yuengling!?!?

Posted by: SteveC28 | April 2, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

90 minute? good god, how much is that going to cost (and why not the 60 minute?)

No Leinie's Suset Wheat this season? double bummer. And no Heiniken on draft, either. Those were two of my favorites last season.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Crap beer on draft is no better or worse than crap beer in bottles. And where did it say that there'd be no crap beer on draft anyway?

Posted by: JennX_ | April 2, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Amen on the Stone. We know our beer out here in SD. If you're ever in town for a Nats game or something, Dan, we'll show you a good beer or 10.

Posted by: tigerquoll | April 2, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Where's the Blue Moon!!!! They better still have Blue Moon on draft along the third base line!!!!

Posted by: Slicer7 | April 2, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure you flip-flopped bottles and drafts, but that's alright.

All about a Bell's Oberon and baseball!

Posted by: dunfordnyc | April 2, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Will have to take out a loan to buy some of those brews at ballpark prices, i.e. 90 minute and Stone's. My guess is they will break the 2 figure barrier. Time to get a beer belly.

Posted by: Wallpass | April 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Prices are on par with last year, based on price list shown at the Nats320 blog. $6.50 for craft bottles, $7.50 for draft (even DFH 90).

Posted by: axman | April 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Whatever your choice, please don't drink 'til you can't remember what happened in the third inning.

Posted by: loutrask | April 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse