Varlamov Teaches Russian to the Caps: Video

My years-long quest to get Wizards-quality material out of the Caps has mostly been futile, but then suddenly I see this fellow in the Caps dressing room up here in New York just blowing me away. Crushing me. Finding garbage pails worth of humor in the Washington Capitals dressing room.

The guy is Cabral Richards, aka Cabbie, from The Score's "Cabbie On the Street," and he's like the Kenny Mayne of Canada or something. The players, especially the Canadian players, just light up when he comes around. Their friends all know and watch his show, the players all know him, and they go out of their way to play along.

Today, Cabbie had Matt Bradley talking at great length about how he always got picked last in school, even after the fat kids, and how his career is all about getting them back.

"If hockey doesn't work out, I could always fall back on male modeling," Bradley concluded.

"I've had enough," said Donald Brashear, who at that line got up and left the room.

Anyhow, you can follow Cabbie's exploits here, and he'll have much more on the Caps in coming days. Here's his bit from last night, in which he swears in Russian at Simeon Varlamov, teaches several Caps how to say "Good Game" in Russian, and shows Varly his patented high-five.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2009; 2:49 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Hockey Players Getting Punched in the Face
Next: Hair Dye, NBA Jumps, Ovie on the Bench Again

Comments

Cabbie's changed since the days of jail and the Howard Stern show. I think he'd beat Stuttering John in a fight now.

Posted by: Section117 | April 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

B. Laich is hilarious.

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 21, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember Cabbie on the Street fondly from my days in college in Peterborough, Ontario.

COMCAST should steal him away. We need some of that old Wizards craziness with the Caps.

Posted by: dericozw | April 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

When are you going to want an exclusive interview with the only man west of Mississippi with a custon VARLAMOV jersey?

I also have to imagine I was the first person to own one PERIOD, although I did see at least one more on the NBC telecast on Saturday...

Posted by: littles_ | April 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Suddenly I feel like a dirty old woman, seeing baby-faced Varlamov shirtless in the locker room. I guess I *am* nearly twice his age. Great googly moogly.

Anyway, Brooks Laich is awesome and that was a cute video.

Posted by: nafspac | April 21, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

That is one cool Canadian dude.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Cabbie lacks Funny!

Kenny Mayne blows him out of the water!!!! If he is Canada's version of Kenny Mayne, then Canada sucks even MORE than what we all thought!

And Varlamov better understand what STANLEY CUP means!

Posted by: dupa3 | April 22, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Brads is hilarious!

Posted by: CapsChick | April 22, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

WOW how can I get this job??

Posted by: masterx09 | April 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse