Simeon Varlamov's Cream Pie

And here's your series-winning goalie, the day after he turned 21.

Goal: Semin. Assist: Ovechkin.

"To be honest, I couldn't have had a better present for my 21st birthday," Varlamov said. "Thanks to the team."

(And here's the team's thoughts, via Brian Pothier: "Varly was exceptional. I don't know how many 20-slash-21-year olds can step into a playoff series in the National Hockey League. I think I was still in high school, my senior year in high school when I was 20. To think that a guy can step into this environment and excel? Really, the first two periods he gave us a chance when we weren't playing well. You really cannot say enough about the kid. Mentally, he's very special, and he's just as talented.")

More pics below.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 28, 2009; 10:19 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Fans Rock the Poncho
Next: McPhee: "We Had to Win Tonight"

Comments

VARLAMOV.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY WON THEY WON THEY WON THEY WON THEY WON

Posted by: QuintenD | April 28, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

THE Iron Curtain. Hell of a goalie. Keep up, Senya (yes, Senya to Semyon is like Sasha to Aleksandr).

Posted by: fnralch | April 28, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

RUSSIAN MACHINE TAKE OVER NHL!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 28, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

forget king henrik ... all hail

TZAR-lamov!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: madmax521 | April 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Steinz you just landed your Bogger wet dream: Caps vs. Pens.

I just pooped myself with fear/excitement.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

So Simeon Varlamov got blasted with a cream pie from Semin? Uhhh... something doesn't sound right about that.

Posted by: donknutts | April 28, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I was afraid of entering this comment section for just that reason, donknutts.

Posted by: sitruc | April 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Yay.

Posted by: B_A_ | April 28, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

A well deserved cream explosion!

Posted by: JDP_ | April 28, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I predict there will be shaving cream vengeance at the Caps next training camp; specifically on the 17th of September. (I believe Semin and Varlamov, along with some other folks, will team up to do the job.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 28, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, happy 21st birthday, Semyon Varlamov. Now you can have your first legal drink in this country. What will it be? Vodka, I assume. Will your teammates take you to the Russian House restaurant in DC?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 28, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

One hell of a performance.

Posted by: rawk | April 28, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I am still so psyched!

We never win game 7s right? right? wrong!
I also love that Ovechkin put a serious hit on Avery at the very end. Icing on the cake.

Now we better start getting ready for Pitt. This is going to be a grudge match...

PLEASE WIN!!!

Posted by: gconrads | April 28, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

UNFAIR SCHEDULING
Here's the schedule for the remaining 4 playoff series:

Does this seem fair? The Caps are playing every other day except for games 4 and 5 which are scheduled for consecutive days. Meanwhile, no other matchup has games scheduled for consecutive days. In the Bruins vs. Canes series, they even get two days off between games 2 and 3; in the Red Wings vs. Ducks series, they get 2 days off between games 4 and 5 and in the Canucks vs. Hawks series, they get 2 days off between games 2 and 3 AND 2 days off between games 6 and 7.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic the Caps advanced to the 2nd round but the scheduling doesn't seem fair.

Posted by: yoseltzer | April 29, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Yoseltzer - might be something to do with NBA playoffs? I don't follow basketball, so I've no idea what teams are in, but if the NBA teams have schedules set that might be affecting availability for hockey.

Posted by: KurtNYC | April 29, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Pothier was in high school when he was 20?

Posted by: trancefreak24 | April 29, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team do they? Washington does, but there are no playoffs in our buildings.

I think we just got screwed scheduling wise.

Posted by: Raber | April 29, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Pothier did a PG [post-grad] year - they're popular for football and esp. hockey players from New England, and isn't he from either MA or RI? Wherever he is from he is a helluva puck-moving d-man, which we needed!!!

Posted by: govtimbo | April 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Boston and Chicago still have teams in the NBA playoffs, so that could affect their series scheduling. Not sure about the Red Wings / Ducks scheduling. Maybe it's an arena thing.

And yeah... Pothier was still in high school at 20? That deserves its own bog post.

Posted by: amalg | April 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I told you so. Have been wanting Varly in there all year. 10 times better goalie that Theodore despite the so called lack of experience and youth. We never should have even signed Theo.

In my preview to to the series I said that I even hoped that Theo would get hurt so that Varly would get a chance because that was the only way for us to go anywhere in these playoffs.

Varlamov did exactly the same thing he's doing now in the RSL playoffs last year and it's no junior league. When most people wanted to give Three-or-more another chance after he stunk up the joint in game 1 I was screaming to put Varlamov in based on what I knew about him. People thought I was crazy. But I wasn't crazy. I know my stuff and I've seen him play a lot more than most.

Finally, after game 1 Boudreau finally listened to me :) We have a real goalie now which gives us a chance to beat anybody. Go Caps!

Posted by: ranndino | April 29, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Let's all be fair to Theodore and any other player that while being a part of this team now may be seen as obsolete or on their way out. I'm reveling at the team we have and while there are obvious players who may not be with us next year, i can't help but feel a little remorseful for Theodore, Brashear, and Nylander even. To be sitting on the sidelines watching this wonderful thing happen and really not be a part of it must totally blow. But yeah, on to the Penguins. Wondering what kooky Penguins fan will wander into our message board to put us in our place. Pfft. Bring 'em on, right? =)

Gooo Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

FYI:

Scheduling for the 2nd round games are determined by arena availability and television. Not sure what Mellon Arena's schedule looks like (or the Verizon Center); you can bet the tv rights holders weren't going to let this one just sail through their fingers.

Not that it matters, but Game 5 will be CBC's 7pm HNIC game. They lost their one decent draw-card (Montreal), and given the dollars they pay the NHL for rights (more than Versus/NBC combined), you can bet they pushed hard to get one of the games on that 7pm Saturday slot. Such is the cost of being, quite possibly paired up with one of the most anticipated NHL playoff series in recent memory.

Posted by: jcurrin | April 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse