Boudreau on CBC: "Pretty Classless Act"

I mentioned last night that the feeds for Versus and CBC apparently both showed six "Keys to Victory" that were written on a dry erase board inside the Caps' dressing room before Game 3. The purpose of the shot was Alex Ovechkin getting ready, but the keys to victory were clearly visible, enough so that a reader got a screen shot and sent me the text.

The Caps' brain trust heard about the footage, and didn't find it humorous.

UPDATE: I should note that CBC shot the pre-game footage, and shared it with Versus, as required by NHL rules. CBC's studio show with Mike Milbury and Kelly Hrudey also dissected the keys to victory, going over them point by point. The team has decided not to allow any locker room shots for Game 4.

"Pretty classless act on CBC's part," Bruce Boudreau said. "I mean, we give them access to everything, and for them to do that is really unprofessional. And they've been in this game the longest. It's not right, and whoever was in charge of that should be reprimanded very, very harshly."

"I don't think it's a secret that you want to get the puck deep and you want to take Malkin and Crosby out of the situation," he added, "but other than that, it's just so unprofessional. You allow people access to your room, with the [expectation] that it's going to be a business situation, and to do that before the game gives the other team an unfair advantage."

George McPhee also knew about the snafu; "they shouldn't have done it," he said. "They should know better than to do that. They've been talked to."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 7, 2009; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Game 3 Fans
Next: Lisa Hillary Sees a Rat, Gary Starts Tweeting

Comments

_____

Is that GMGM speak for "I buried their bodies out back"?

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 7, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

That is crap - is the whole hockey establishment against our Washington Capitals? Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Abso-tively! Like I said before the game last night; beware of a desperate league and desperate networks that want a long series so bad. Don't be surprised to see the Versus crew wearing Lemieux throwback jerseys in the booth tomorrow night. Me? I won't see it because I'll be watching the game on CSN, with my old friends Joe B. and Locker. The national coverage is so pro-Penguin it is RIDICULOUS. But, our Red Army can not be stopped. We will overcome. Caps in 6.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

While it has nothing to do with the outcome or the fact our caps will prevail in the end...the coverage on Vs was PATHETIC...you could hear the please god keep this series going so we have a job for a few more days tone in each and every guy working the game.

Posted by: JLR75 | May 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps media relations team will punish the media accordingly. You know, like interviews limited to the hallway. (They might have been onto something there.)

Posted by: Grooven | May 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

mike millbury us semi-retarded. Pierre mcguire? Full on.

Posted by: oo7 | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm so happy from here on out that CSN is covering the games.

Posted by: visionof75 | May 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Reason number 796,891,495,138,924,026 that the media is evil.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 7, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

mike millbury us semi-retarded. Pierre mcguire? Full on.

Posted by: oo7 | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, please don't insult my brother-in-law (who has Downs) like that. he's smarter than either of those dinks.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 7, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

They're also the same clowns who said that one of Crosby's goals in game 2 went off of Varly's "fat face".

Posted by: dc_homer | May 7, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Milbury and Hrudey actually analyzed those keys to the game on the air? It's ont thing to put that up on the screen for a quick second or two in the background of a shot, but going over them in the pregame--that's just unbelievable and inexcusable. I can't believe that.

And by the way, when Versus posted their own "Keys to the Game" in a graphic on the screen during the first couple minutes last night, I could swear the Caps key was "Initiate, don't retaliate." So Versus actually used it on the air, too, although not identifying it as such on air (although I was in a bar and couldn't hear the play-by-play, so perhaps they did.)

Posted by: TheFingerman | May 7, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

TheFingerman, I watched it at home. I saw Vs. put up their "Keys to The Game" and yes, "Intiate don't retaliate" was on there. Obviously, they didn't say "And we stole this right from the Caps!" But when I checked here about 5 minutes later, imagine my surprise to see that same thing, word for word, on the Caps whiteboard.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's pretty stupid on their part. I thought when I started reading the article that the Caps were mad because they showed a quick shot of the board. But to go over them point by point is blatantly stupid.

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

the caps apparently didn't read their own 6 keys to victory since they ignored the first key - get in deep with a great forecheck. Looks like the Pens stole that key..

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 7, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

dedicated Caps fan from Canada:

The NHL is a joke. You better believe the league wants this to go the distance and they love Crosby

Up here, you can tell that CBC and TSN love Crosby and kinda want us to lose

I deal with that idiot Don Cherry and They are all biased.

It's time for the Caps to get pissed off

we really need Brasher and Erskine

Personally, i'm tired of that cry baby Crosby

Go Caps

Posted by: skinsbacker | May 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@ CPortisRun

I 2nd the emotion. It'll be good to come back to Joe B and Locker calling it after the pathetic lack of knowledge and blatant Pens bias on VS. No more questions like "does Jurcina usually like this?"

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 8, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Every time when Versus or NBC televise the Capital games, I always put it on mute because the broadcasting is so biased against the Caps. I am so sick of the announcers defending the referees on calls against the Capitals while the Penguins get away with the same infractions. Remember the Mike Milbury's "Crapital" reference last year? I am still surprised he is doing the games for the Capitals this year! He is "Crap" to me!

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 8, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, I'm stuck with the feeds on Versus. It irritates me to no end having to hear their incessant buzzing that comes from their heads buried up Crosby's...portal. It s*cks but the best revenge is a Capitals victory and figuratively hearing the wind s*cked out of the sails of those commentators is great. It's like all of a sudden they have nothing to say, no flowery words to describe the victory...just "Capitals win again." Idiots.

The CBC, huh? The same morons that allowed Cherry to go on his rants. Surprise, surprise. Yet another example of their heads buried in the sand or buried up another portal.

Capitals, let's tear the Penguins a new one! Game on tonight!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 8, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

In all honesty, how is the other team even supposed to see this minutes before the game? I understand the Cap's brass is upset based on the principle of it but c'mon. Were they really worried that the Pens would hold an emergency meeting prior to faceoff to discuss a new game plan based on this leaked information?

Posted by: ruce226 | May 8, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

And I almost forgot:

This comments section is drowning in tears. Oh, woe is me...the media hates us...the refs are crooked...league conspires against us...Crosby is a baby...AD NAUSEUM. Grow up.

Posted by: ruce226 | May 8, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

All you idiots talking about how the league is trying to influence the series are embarrassing real Caps fans. You are morons. Yes the people that run the show are idiots and yes Dillbury and McGuire are idiots, but they aren't biased against the Caps. You can read a pens fan site and they will be saying the same things about how NBC sucks and is biased against the Penguins. National coverage sucks and isn't as homerish as watching Joe and Locker. We just like them because they know our team and the national guys only know Ovechkin. What you are missing by complaining about the coverage and saying there is a conspiracy is some of the best hockey I have seen in a long time. The Penguins had more power plays last game. That is what happens when you spend most of the game in your own zone. As bad as Pittsburgh's power play has been this year, you should be glad they are on the power play. So my point, shut up about a conspiracy and enjoy the amazing hockey being played by two very good teams.

Posted by: jagrsucks | May 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

just to clarify... I think the people responsible for airing the "Keys" should get in trouble and there should be repercussions. But to think the league or the refs are involved is as retarded as hiring Millbury to run an NHL team. We all know how that will end.

Posted by: jagrsucks | May 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Lemme see...every. single. advertisement produced for the run-up to the Finals begins with a reference to the Penguins in general and a certain Canadian whiner in particular, no matter whether it's aired on NHLN, VS, or NBC. And you're going to convince me that Bettman isn't pushing either the Pens or Sindey at me as the "face of the NHL"? Give me a break. And please, spare me any more of that annoying "Somewhere in California" Sindey-pushing tripe on NHLN. Somewhere else in California someone is hurling.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | May 8, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

West Ham United(H) VS Liverpool

Willhill 6.00 3.40 1.50
6.00 4.00 1.53

In those recent matches, Liverpool were playing pretty well, for they need to get 1st position in the league. What's more, with Gerrard's recovery, Liverpool can get 3 points in this matches without much effort.

West Ham need to save their 7th position, but they scored only one goal in the recent matches verses those four top teams.

For more, please visit: