Caps Fans: Still Weirder Than Pens Fans

I was scrolling through my camera this morning. Can't even remember what I was looking for. Then I saw a bunch of random images of weird Caps fans. Some were from this series. Some were from March or February. Some I've used before; most I haven't. They're a colorful lot, full of creativity and weirdness and virtually no potential for embarrassment. And when a FREE DONALD sign simply demands to be made, they follow through appropriately.

They also willingly offer up very sensitive parts of the human anatomy in exchange for Game 7 tickets. I'm guessing this guy doesn't get Versus.

Anyhow, read on.

There was plenty of attention to the first t-shirt along these lines that debuted during the regular season. You can see several of those around the arena, but this one is slightly different. A combination of crude American humor with appeals to Cyrillic nobility.

This one's just the crude American humor part. Two separate fellas, here, but they share virtually everything besides the "c" in "suck."

These are both from Game 5. The guy on the left is probably the MVP among those Caps fans who like to dress as '80s rockers. The guy on the right scared the bloody hell out of me. Yes, that's a bloody penguin around his neck.

Speaking of "bloody" and "neck," here's some gents who created a handy noose out of some hockey equipment and a Penguins jersey. Also Game 5, I believe. Hopefully no one chokes in Game 7.

And you know, there's no better place to hang than the Corner Bar. These are the folks people like me used to talk to five years ago, for "what happened to all the fans?" stories. Now they all sit down low, do group cheers, have an official name and banner, and are often spotted on TV coverage during away games. Plus they come get my attention and point out other weird fans for my benefit.

More regulars: I'm not sure her name, but she's the MVP among those Caps fans who bring hand-drawn portraits of many players. She was planning some playoff art, but had to finish a portfolio for school first. Maybe in the semis?

And personally, I can never get enough of vaguely cringe-worthy personalized jerseys. The fans love em hereabouts, eh?

See what I mean?

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 13, 2009; 4:12 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovie vs. Crosby, Take Seven
Next: And Now: Blank Screens

Comments

I don't see anything weird here.

Posted by: ThisGuy | May 13, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a talented girl! That drawing is fantastic! Nick has longer hair though. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 13, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I am disappointed that you have no picture of me and my friends in our matching homemade UNLEASH THE FURY/glitter logo shirts and sparkly red high tops of victory. I am sad we are not weird enough for you! Of course, it could be because we are so superstitions that we don't get up between periods. GO CAPS! :D

Posted by: amberlynne | May 13, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, from reprimanding real fans who were upset after game 5 to complaining about your ride back from Pittsburgh, it's tough to figure out what your role is, besides relating unknown rappers to Chris Cooley. Newspapers are dying? Can't imagine why.

Posted by: jck747 | May 13, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Any way you could send a high-res larger version of that corner bar photo? Friends are in the bg & I know they'd enjoy it.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | May 13, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Red all the way to the golf course Caps. Crosby > Ovechkin

The bums will always lose.

Posted by: jtp2106 | May 13, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

My role? To take photos of fans in costume, ask athletes about their facial hair, and answer to unhappy readers.

I don't remember complaining about the ride back. We had some lovely times in the Breezewood Starbucks. Svrluga's a great chaffeur.

Also, I'm not positive, but I've heard a few other newspapers that don't employ offbeat sports bloggers are also in bad shape. Maybe there's not a direct correlation between FREE DONALD photos and the decline of this particular industry.

PS: If you e-mail me, I can send you my traffic numbers as compared to your favorite newspaper stories.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | May 13, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, guess I hit nerve. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: jck747 | May 14, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse