Cerrato, Bowden, D-Hall on the Caps

Before the Caps do their year-end press availability, let's take a quick glance at what other D.C. sports figures were saying about the team, on their blogs, their Twitter feeds, and their team-owned television shows.

Jim Bowden: He Tweets! Who knew? Yes, this is confirmed as Bowden. Another way to confirm would be to note that he follows Jenny McCarthy, John Legend, Paula Abdul, Hugh Jackman, Miley Cyrus, Mark Sanchez and both Jessica and Ashlee Simpson. Yup, that's Bowden. His Caps comment:

Caps - Pens...game 7.....Crosby vs. Ovechkin.........is this better than Gretzky vs. Lemieux?

Other choice Bowden thoughts:

* "Tim Floyd......say it ain't so Tim......a thousand dollars? to influence O.J. Mayo to attend USC? I'm not buying it.....has to be more..." [Note: How would he possibly know how much it costs to illicitly influence player signings?]

* "I need a helicopter on tuesday....Ducks and Lakers playing same time in Southern Cal.....anyone have one I can borrow for a few hours?"

* "Pitching is like Real Estate.....it's all about location, location, location"

Ha, nice analogy. And nice of Bowden to pick up his entire bullpen using Section 8 vouchers.

DeAngelo Hall: He Tweets too! Who knew? His Caps comments:

Shout out To 757's own Ryan Zimmerman of the Nats 30 Game Hit Streak...Looking for 31...and a Game 7 Win from the Caps tonight!

And then,

So Ryan Zimmerman ended his Hitting Streak, The Caps Lost Game 7..Maybe I jinxed them..But all it really means is we're that much closer to Football Season and The Redskins...I like the sound of that!

Yup, that pretty much sums up D.C. sports.

(And previously, after the Rangers series: "Oh yea Congrats to the Washington Caps and Alex O!!! Great Series, Lets keep it going! This is going to be a great Year for DC Sports!!!")

More from D.Hall:

* "Bout to look at houses. The VA housing market is off the chain$$$$$"

* "Back to House Shopping this week!!...The Housing market is killing me right now...Can't seem to find that Dream Home..."

Well, maybe he could ask @Jbowdeniv for some housing advice. I hear there are some great deals in Wheeling, WVA. Housing is all about location.

Ryan Zimmerman: He blogs! And, as always, he mentions the Caps. The passage:

It was kind of ironic the Hitting Streak ended the same night as the Caps season did. What a playoff series that was � the two best players in hockey going head-to-head for seven games. Sure, last night was kind of a letdown and anti-climatic, but the entire series made people across the nation pay attention to hockey. It sure was a great two weeks for the sport.

Actually, there's nothing to make fun of here. He's 100 percent right. His comments about his hitting streak are also unimpeachable: lauding DiMaggio, talking about the randomness of baseball, and writing this: "I would take an 0-2 with 2 sac flies, 2 RBIs and a walk over a 1-5 any day of the week. Bottom line is our job is to win baseball games and do whatever it takes to make that happen."

Vinny Cerrato: He speaks! The Redskins' non-GM was on Redskins Nation with Larry Michael this week, talking Caps and offering insight like only he can.

"They won the first round of the playoffs, had a tough battle, lost four games to three to Pittsburgh," Cerrato said in a particular bit of bold analysis. "So I think they've got a young team, and when they've got Ovechkin they've got probably the best player in hockey. They've got a bunch of young guys, and they've got a good minor-league team, I think that they announced last night during the game they had won their championship, or their playoff round, so I think George is doing a great job there."

Cerrato approves of the direction they're heading? That breeze you just heard came from 127,000 Caps fans shuddering simultaneously. Anyhow, it turns out that Cerrato used to play hockey.He said he was a scorer. Larry Michael asked if he was like Ovechkin.

"No, I was more like Crosby," Cerrato joked. "I hung around the net."

Hey, it's better than listening to Michael talk about how all three second-year pass catchers are on pace to make major contributions this season.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 15, 2009; 7:09 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American Dad Does Riggo
Next: Nationals Tarp Fail

Comments

Missed one ... Bowden is also following "Diddy"

Posted by: truthaboutit | May 15, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

better than gretzky vs lemieux? hard to say since those guys never met in the playoffs. but good for jim for trying. where does he find the time?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 15, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Who's DeAngelo Hall?

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

You're in the wrong section of the Post, greggwiggins.

Posted by: sitruc | May 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

No, I'm a serious sports fan but, and I'm just guessing now, Mr. Hall must play in a sport or for a team I don't follow.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This is what it's come to. I cringe at any mention of Vinny Cerrato or Larry Michael. Maybe one small reason I wanted the Caps to keep winning was because it kept my mind off the Redskins. And now with no Caps, I'm forced to focus on the Skins. (The O's don't provide much relief.) And I don't like that right now. I go from watching an entire season of Capitals hockey, where I was treated to an organization that seemingly has a clue about how to operate, to the soon-to-start training camp escapades of the Redskins, where I'll be treated to a lousy owner, a lousy lackey and a lousy play-by-play guy. Ugh. I love the Skins, but that FO has gotta change.

Posted by: CDon | May 15, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Uhhh, really? He's a cornerback for the Redskins. I hate them, and even I know that one.

Posted by: Josh8 | May 15, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@CDon, i couldn't have said it better myself. i got an email about my redskins season tickets the morning after the caps lost game 7, and i couldn't have cared less. maybe i needed a day to mourn, but the redskins aren't exactly generating any excitement in this town as of late.

Posted by: grizneta | May 15, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh8 | May 15, 2009 10:12 AM

####

Oh, OK, thanks. I don't pay any attention to the sport because I find it to be boring. I know Washington's NFL team is (controversially) called the Redskins but that's about all I can tell you about them.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon(ette) alert: I don't get the whole Twitter thing. Why would I want to "follow" anyone and read their every random thought (and why would they think that anyone would want to do that)?

Still, that's funny about JimBo (not that I'd follow him or anyone else).

Thanks for the props for our guy Zimmerman, Dan.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Dan:

Thanks for all your great coverage this year. There is a place on these interwebz - and in the Washington Post, IMO - for your honest work and keen insight. "Quirky" though it may be, it is honest and keen. So, yeah. Don't be depressed. You have a job that you're clearly passionate about on some level, more than can be said for other less fortunate people (and FYI, yours is not the only dying industry out there...). So fret not.

Oh, and write a book already.

Posted by: ThisGuy | May 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"...And now with no Caps, I'm forced to focus on the Skins. (The O's don't provide much relief.) And I don't like that right now..."

Posted by: CDon | May 15, 2009 9:56 AM

DC United?

Or if that's not your game, cold beer and the Nats can work!

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 15, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

My first comment outside the Capital Weather Gang where I contribute regularly. My big issue is that Washington has acquired the reputation as a "City of Losers"...and I was really pulling for the Caps to put a dent in that reputation! Unfortunately we always draw the Penguins...sort of a jinx team for us... sooner or later if we advance far enough. Of course the Pens aren't the only Pittsburgh team which can beat a D.C. team at a crucial moment. [Just say "Steelers" around here!]

What makes this worse is that several of the NHL teams above us in points [Sharks, Bruins...] have also dropped out of the playoffs.

I've been continually pointing out that the principal benefit of having baseball in Washington is that we now have TWO losers to root for rather than just the Orioles. Hopefully the Nationals can escape this last-place rut in the near future, as we now seem to have a couple good young starting pitchers, Martis and Zimmermann.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 15, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It can't fairly be called a "controversial" name when virtually everyone is not offended by it, including many, many Native American groups. Really the only ones who feign outrage over the team's name are the ones who use the issue to try to raise money in direct mail.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 16, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

By "serious" do you mean "casual"?

Posted by: Barno1 | May 16, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, by "serious" I mean season tickets to the Nationals and Capitals, the MLB and NHL pay cable channels and three or four road trips per year to attend a sporting event. I also competed at tennis (many years ago) well enough to have been on a high school team that won a S.C. state championship and to have been offered a college scholarship to play tennis.

But I find football incredibly slow and boring, so I don't pay any attention to that sport or the people who play it. You may feel the same way about some sport I follow closely, such as sailboat racing.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 17, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
I have something you need to look into. At Nats Stadium they have a new thing they do with the T-Shirt Launchers between innings. They shove a sausage, wrapped in foil, inside the shirt. Well at the game yesterday one got shot up in my general direction. Problem is the force of the air cannon blows up the sausage, and when they guy who caught it

Posted by: alex35332 | May 17, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I saw that over the weekend at the games with the Phillies, alex35332. More often than not the sausage (more accurately the bun) would disintegrate in the first few feet of flight and shower the field with fragments of bread.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 17, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can be considered a serious sports fan in this country unless you follow the number one sport in the country.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, if I made a living from following, writing or broadcasting about sports I would be likely to agree with you.

But I don't. So I don't see why I should (in my opinion) waste my attention on a sport I consider dull and boring instead of spending that time, energy and $$$ following sports which I do enjoy.

You apparently like football. That's your opinion. I don't like football. That's my opinion. And those opinions don't make either of us "serious" or "casual" sports fans. They make us sports fans with different opinions.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Barno1, from the context of your comments I'm assuming you think football is "the number one sport in the country". But why would you think that's so? That may be your number one sport and that may be your opinion based on your personal preferences, but you don't speak for everyone -- you certainly don't speak for me -- and there are mathematics which state otherwise.

According to some numbers I just looked up, the total attendance at NFL games in 2007 was 17,341,000. That's dwarfed by the 79,502,000 people who attended major league baseball games that year, and less than the 21 million-plus going through the turnstiles at either an NBA or NHL game in their 07/08 seasons. If you add in the 37,483,000 who attended an NCAA Division I football game you're up to 54,824,000 but that's still only about two-thirds the attendance of MLB games, even before the 42,636,000 who went to a minor league baseball game in 2007 is added in to boost baseball's total. And, to be fair, if you're going to include college football attendance you should also add the 27,322,000 people who attended an NCAA basketball game to the NBA's totals to get more than 48 million basketball fans.

So if you grade by a reasonable metric like ticket sales, clearly the number one sport in the country remains "the national pastime", baseball. In 2007 the NFL drew roughly as many people as NASCAR races -- and I don't pay attention to people making 500 miles of left turns, either. Is that another reason to brand me as just a casual sports fan?

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 17, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse