Charles Barkley Says Ovechkin > LeBron

So the TNT crew were discussing sports the other day, when this happened:

Chris Webber: "LeBron James is the best athlete in all of sports. Tiger Woods is the greatest winner in all of sports and all that...[but] LeBron James is the best athlete in all of sports. Tell me someone who's a better athlete....Name someone better than LeBron in sports for me Chuck."

At which point everyone on set turned to Charles Barkley, and he said this: "Alex-and-er Ovechkin."

Silence. I mean, silence. Followed by groans. Followed by Webber ignoring Barkley and just moving right along.

"Let me tell you this, if LeBron could pitch he might be the nicest pitcher," Webber said. "If LeBron was on skates, with his speed and his body..."

That's pretty good. So is this. Here's the video of Ovechkin apparently joining Caps fans in the ubiquitous Rock 'N Roll Part II "Hey You Suck!" chant on Monday night. TSN got some Pens reaction, though TSN thought he was saying "Penguins Suck." (Thanks to Capitals Outsider.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 6, 2009; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media , NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Words About the Pittsburgh Crowd
Next: The Caps' Keys to Victory

Comments

Haha that awkward silence is hilarious because they know that Charles is right.

Posted by: amorris525 | May 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I would be pissed off about everything if I was from Pittsburgh too. Ovechkin is just into it - you gotta love it. Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 6, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

please tell me the webber/barkley thing is on youtube?

Posted by: sirbobalew | May 6, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ovie clearly said "You suck". anyone that says he said "Pens suck" or anything else is simply trying to goad someone.

ugh.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | May 6, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Stein, you just made me break the office's video streaming policy.

It was worth it, though.

God, I love that guy.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Lots of former UMD students at these Caps games.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Indeed Brano. Current ones to.

That was very clearly a "You". Oy, whiny Pitt media.

Posted by: EricS2 | May 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL I caught him doing that during the live broadcast. I didn't realize he was listening to R&R Part 2, but clearly he's saying "Hey, YOU suck!" along with the 25,000 fans at VC.

Posted by: AmyS1 | May 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I tend to agree with that. Tiger just stands there and swings a golf ball. What a great athlete. He barely even has to move!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Charles Barkley is sure good at pissing off cleveland lately!

Posted by: trolly_time | May 6, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we can start Unleashing the Fury at Terps basketball games?

Tie game.....5 minutes to go vs. Duke....and Comcast Center unleashes the Fury?

That's the only other arena/team I can picture it working.

Posted by: fushezzi | May 6, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Ovie favors the Terps over the Hoyas or the very lowly JMU. Funny Jmu.capsgirl thinks this is chant originated on her campus...

Posted by: JDP_ | May 6, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

And that's why Rock N Roll Part 2 needs to return as the goal song!

Posted by: madflava | May 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that UMD fans think they are original. That silence was hilarious.

Posted by: sitruc | May 7, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse