D. Hall on Vick: "He's Definitely Been Humiliated"

(2007 AP photo.)

DeAngelo Hall called into ESPN 980's John Thompson Show yesterday to discuss the release of Michael Vick, and whether his longtime friend and ex-teammate has a future in the NFL. (Listen here.) Hall had already supported Vick on a call-in to the Junkies last week, and also on his Twitter feed, where he wrote "I wanna say welcome home to MV. We missed you and will continue to support you! Can't wait to see you back doing what you love!"

And yesterday, he left no doubt about whether he thinks Vick should get another chance, and whether he'd be able to capitalize on it.

"I mean, society is what it is," Hall said. "Obviously, a lot of people have done a lot of things that were worse than what Mike did, but with society being what it is, he definitely had to pay the price. I think he's done that....I mean, I definitely think the guy should get another chance in this league to play, I definitely think he can play. There's a lot of quarterbacks that got jobs right now that don't want to see him back in the league, because they know. You know, any time you have teams in divisions drafting specific players just to stop Michael Vick, that's when you know the guy's a game changer and can help you win a lot of games."

If there's one thing I can say for sure, it's that "a lot of quarterbacks" will not lose their job if Vick returns. I'd guess no more than one. Or, in an extreme case, one. Anyhow, Hall said Vick can be "great," and can make every throw on the field, but that he was held back by occasionally one-track coaching in Atlanta. He mentioned San Francisco as a potential fit, saying the coaching of Mike Singletary could help keep Vick in line and offer motivation. And, with prompting from Thompson, he argued that it would only be fair for Vick to attempt to rehab his image on the same stage in which he ruined it.

"I feel like he has to be on that stage, he needs that spotlight on him so he CAN do the things they're asking him to do," Hall said. "They can't ask him to do these things behind closed doors, and then nobody's gonna be able to even see it....I mean, he's definitely been humiliated. I think he should have [gotten] suspended, then he should have had to pay a big fine. That's what PETA wants anyway, is money, so he should have had to pay them money.

"But for them to do what they did, totally humiliate him like you said, take away everything, his lifeline, strip everything from him and then to ask him, 'Hey, and you still have to show us something else?' It's like listen, I've done done everything y'all asked me to do, what more do you want? Then it starts to just get a little bit nit-picky, to me."

As mentioned, that response was very much at John Thompson's prompting, and the coach went even further himself in closing out the segment.

"Michael Vick's not stupid, any more," Thompson said. "You know, and if you tell me I've got to go out here and be nice to dogs, you tell me I've got to do community service, if you tell me I've got to do all of these things to be a millionaire again, I'ma do 'em. And then I'm gonna get into the NFL and say I'm free at last and do whatever it is. Water seeks its level. I want to put him in the same environment that he was in before and see if he's dumb enough to do it again. Then I'll blackball him for lifetime if he does that.

"But don't tell me that I've got to go to Boys Club three nights a week, that I've got to go feed dogs, that I've got to go over here and do something and then I'ma find out whehtehr you a changed man. No way in the hell am I that stupid. I'ma put you in that same envirment agan, give you that same opportunity, and then if you screw it up....See, I'm not a three-strike man, I'm a two -strike man. You outta here, you don't come back any more."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 22, 2009; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About Those MASN Defining Moments
Next: Nationals Bobblehead Fail

Comments

I always say, when you're looking for analysis of character-related issues, and the possibility of human redemption, you go to MeAngelo Hall for thoughtful commentary.

Oy.

Posted by: mdean3 | May 22, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll speak for the dogs who can't speak for themselves: What the...woof? (scratches head)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 22, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow. What an idiot.
"MV" must be proud to have such great and intelligent friends.

The guy's a pre-meditated dog-murdering pig. If he ever plays for a team in the NFL I'll never, ever watch the NFL again. But, if the NFL wants to reach out to the stupid, Vick-supporting, dog-murdering demographic, then good luck with your ticket sales.

Posted by: hacksaw | May 22, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"If there's one thing I can say for sure, it's that "a lot of quarterbacks" will not lose their job if Vick returns. I'd guess no more than one."

I believe what Mr. Hall was referring to was the 3rd string Qbs on a lot of teams are hoping Vick does not come to their team, because he would presumably earn a roster spot after training camp is over and they'd be the ones most affected by it. Hence, the statement: "There's a lot of quarterbacks that got jobs right now that don't want to see him back in the league."

A lot of QBs undoubtedly don't want Vick coming to their team.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 22, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I expect that there will be few, if any teams, willing to take a risk on Vick. True, he's paid his debt to society and has the right to pursue his livelihood, but it's also true that the fans have the right to voice their displeasure, which gets the attention of owners/sponsors, which ultimately makes it problematic for any team to take the risk on this guy...

Posted by: randysbailin | May 22, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, he's definitely been humiliated. I think he should have [gotten] suspended, then he should have had to pay a big fine. That's what PETA wants anyway, is money, so he should have had to pay them money."

Vick had better hope that there aren't any more statements like this from DeAngelo Hall that find their way onto Roger Goodell's desk. Seriously, did Hall actually think this would help Vick's case? As the saying goes, "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

Posted by: jkarasek | May 22, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Vick would be an improvement over anything we currently have on the roster at QB.

It'd be nice to have a QB who can actually avoid sacks.

Posted by: alecw81 | May 22, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Peta needs to got get a job!!!! And when it's members finish with that job. They need to ask Mike Vick if he needs a job. Hoof that!!!!

Posted by: jjack1 | May 23, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

hacksaw

So basically its okay to watch the NFL only if you drive drunk, kill a innocent lady..then get commited with another DUI, as Lenord Little did. Did you stop watching after this incident?

Posted by: kellsz1 | May 23, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Hall isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He doesn't get the seriousness of Vick offense.

Vick has paid a huge price for his offense. Its OK to give him another opportunity. The league can allow him back.

But what owner wants to sign him? I'm guessing a lot of season ticket holders are also dog owners. Its not a demographic you want to offend. In NFL history, there isn't anyone who could cause a team to lose more ticket holders more quickly than Vick.

I doubt many owners will see an upside to Vick when compared to the business risk.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 23, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

There's no better expert at stating the clearly obvious than Coach Thompson.

And he makes six figures for it. And for popping a top.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | May 23, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

no, i don't agree with you.
you can check here, there is some information about every teams, and i am sure you can find something you need.

Posted by: suesue3 | May 23, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure the amount of people thin-skinned enough to cancel their season tickets over Mike Vick's signing would be small enough to be covered by those waiting for season tickets.

Posted by: alecw81 | May 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins sign Michael Vick to a contract, I will no longer be a Redskin fan. I will take all of my Redskin gear and dump it outside of Redskins Park with a note saying, "Take this stuff and shove it up your butt, Dan Snyder!"

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Randy, if that's all it takes to make you quit being a Redskins fan, you weren't much a fan to begin with. But what makes your statement even more preposterous is that you remain a fan today even though the Redskins, under Snyder, once signed Darrell Russell, a man once charged with 25 felony counts in a rape case, who prosecutors believe drugged a woman with GHB and then videotaped her as two of his friends brutally raped her.

As bad as killing dogs is, it does not compare to what prosecutors believe Russell did.

So bottom line, you're a moron if you'll no longer be a Redskins fan after a Vick signing yet stayed a fan after the Russell signing.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I say this as an animal lover who has had dogs as pets. They are a source of food for many cultures. Just because they have a cute face and live at home with you does not change the fact that they are, in fact, less advanced than you. Peta can talk and talk about how animals are great, but if a hungry polar bear or wolf found me, it would eat the crap out of me. This is not to say that I condone cruelty. What Vick did was wrong, plain and simple. But, he has more than paid for his crime IMHO and now it is time to play ball.

Posted by: jamesdrohobych | May 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The cruelty that Vick was capable of makes me sick to my stomach. The animals that suffered at the hands of Vick and his accomplices will never get back what was taken from them. Vick committed crimes against living animals that have feelings and experience real emotion. Time to draw the line in the sand and to say enough is enough. Just say no to Vick and his kind. There are plenty of classy players to support - like Jason Campbell. The dude is A+ material and has all the qualities that make it easy to cheer for him to succeed. Go Skins!

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | May 23, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Just finished a novel by Mark Bavaro, the former NY Giants TE, called "Rough and Tumble", pretty obviously set in the late Parcells era. Bavaro doesn't exactly threaten to become the next Michael Connelly but the football scenes are vivid and entertaining. Anyway Bavaro doesn't paint a flattering portrait of NFL players or coaches. In fact, at one point he refers to a big segment of the player populace as 'borderline criminal' -- restrained only by the threatened loss of their livelihood, and frequently not even by that.

Some of the characters reminded me of Mike Tyson, a guy who you could see was probably going to find his way into prison someday, because on one level, that's where he felt most at home.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 23, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This is not a second chance for Vick, this would at least the 6th or 7th major character failure the NFL would have to overcome to let him back in the league, just ask anyone in Atlanta.

And it is not his "right" to play in the NFL, it is a privilege and one that Vick has not taken too seriously in the past. If San Francisco brings him in, they will lose a large chunk of fans from an already dwindling fan base.

Raiders signed Jeff Garcia to back up JaMarcus Russell, so both Bay Area teams have at least 2 QBs that can allegedly run the show. Cross those two teams off your list.

Posted by: pj48 | May 23, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Barno: don't resort to name calling. You're better than that.

I'm probably a bigger Redskin fan than you'll ever be, but if signing Vick doesn't bother you then you have no soul. Where are your morals? Don't you stand for anything? I stand by what I said.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 23, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Also Barno, it's not JUST a possible Vick signing that would push me over the edge. It is a combination of bad moves (including Russell), actions and what not that is pushing me over the edge. I'm sure a lot of people have already been pushed over the edge (see the Pittsburgh game for an indication). If you think that Snyder is the most wonderful guy in the world, and that he "will do what it takes to win", then there's not much hope for you.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 24, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Randy,

Don't worry about Barno. In his world, if you ever say anything bad (no matter how truthful it is) about any of the "hometown" teams than you're not a true fan.

Just see what he says about Gary and the Terps. Or should I say see what he copies and pastes about Gary and the Terps.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

PETA has killed 100 times more dogs than Michael Vick. If they had obtained Vick's dogs they would have euthanized them all. Luckily they were taken in by normal, sane people who rehabilitated every last dog. PETA is an organization of monsters and anyone who knows what they do and still supports them is a monster as well. Vick will never sign a deal with them, they have done more harm to him then any good they ever did for animals. That's why Vick signed a deal with good, sane animal rights activists at the Humane Society. He'll be back thrashing your defensive lines and burning through your secondaries sooner or later so deal with it...

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | May 26, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

D. Hall and Marcus and Michael Vick are all fine examples of what great citizens the VA Tech football program produces. Frank Beamer and all alumni of VT should be very proud.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 26, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Randy, complaining about "name-calling" in the same breath you accuse me of not having morals, not standing for anything, and not having a soul..all because I am not going to quit rooting for the Redskins if they sign Vick. Wow.

I don't think calling you a moron is "name calling." It's just stating a fact.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Barno: Judging from what your colleagues have said here, arguing with you is like arguing with a lamp post, so I think I'll move on. I have bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 27, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Let's review shall we.

Randy states that he will no longer be a Redskins fan if the team signs Mike Vick.

Barno points out the blatant hypocrisy of Randy remaining a fan of the team after the Redskins signed Darrell Russell--a man charged with 25 felony counts including rape--yet choosing to quit rooting for the team if they sign Vick, whose crimes aren't nearly as bad as Russell's...at least according to our judicial system.

Randy then questions whether Barno has any morals, stands for anything, or even has a soul. All while complaining about name-calling.

Barno points out more of Randy's hypocrisies, specifically complaining about name-calling while at the same time questioning whether someone has a soul.

Randy then points to comments from non-existent "colleagues" and says arguing with Barno is like arguing with a lamp post.

Barno recaps. And everyone gets a good laugh at Randy and his never ending hypocrisies, which he can't defend so instead choses to fry bigger fish.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse