How Not to React to a Loss

I know it's pesky when random objects are so brazen as to locate themselves within an arm's length of your arm when your hockey team has just lost a game. And I know the first thought to enter your mind might be, "water bottle, this is your fault! I want you out of my life right now!"

But there are, I'm told, alternate ways to deal with this scourge. The Verizon Center, apparently, even offers a variety of dustbins in which to dispose of all your hateful pom-poms, bouncy-balls, bottles and other villainous inanimate objects. If you want to take it one step further and send a little drop of bile from your lips into the wastebasket after those bottles, I promise I won't tell anyone.

But enough of chucking 'em on the ice, ok?

(No word on how Sidney Crosby reacted to the trash flowing onto the ice, but at least it didn't delay the game any. And if Ovie had scored a third goal before overtime, this thing wasn't gonna start again for hours.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 9, 2009; 11:34 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: "Next Game is Gonna Be Different"
Next: Brashear: "Why Wouldn't We Win This One"

Comments

Steinberg: Grow a pair, then comment. Live with Caps pain for 30+ years, then comment. otherwise STFU!

Posted by: pgeagle | May 9, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

It's not ideal behavior, but at least they got passion.

Posted by: Ovechwin | May 10, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

pgeagle...i have lived with caps pain but throwing stuff after a loss is low rent and immature. Learn to control you emotions. No excuse for that. NONE.

Posted by: SFcapsfan | May 10, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go as far as to condone it, but given the events leading up to the goal ... I wasn't about to stop anyone. People have a right to be pissed. When you have 18,000 pissed off people, sometimes, a couple bad things happen. 100% of folks won't ever be able to do the smart thing. And think about it, Dan ... if 100% of people did the smart thing all the time, what would you write about?

Course, I was in 426 - no one could throw anything from there that would have reached the ice.

But if they had, one of our defensemen would have knocked it into the net.

Posted by: writered21 | May 10, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the game should be played in one of those bubble-domes like the old US-USSR table hockey games from the 80s. :)

Posted by: writered21 | May 10, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Come on Caps fans, don't lower yourselves, and our reputation, by repeating this classless display. Throwing stuff on the ice is as bad as Crosby's whining, so cut it out!

Posted by: farmgirl19C | May 10, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Capitals fans have always been classless embarrassments. I gave up my season tickets a few years ago because the "fans" make the experience so terrible.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | May 10, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Dan, I was embarrassed for the NHL and Pittsburgh. The officiaing in OT was inexcusable. As for Pitt, I am still upset about the gent in a Crosby jersey spouting off about how Ovie sucks "d" through glory holes right in front of his kid who couldn't be any older than 8. I have a 1 year old son and I was absolutely aghast. I am still so upset that I can't sleep! I am literally sick over it. As for throwing objects on the ice...unlike last year....it was well deserved and warranted. Awful officiating. Awful fans. Just like the Pitt fans at Fed Ex last year. Disgraceful. I hope DC NEVER plays a a PITT team again. They make Philly fans look like Miss Manners.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | May 10, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

As with a number of things that are greater taboos in other sports than they are in hockey, the NHL has a weird relationship with throwing things onto the ice. There are old timey clips of fans barraging the ice with everything in reach; real madness. There are times when it's okay to throw things onto the ice and there have been the octopus and rat traditions after goals in the past. Of course, I think we can all agree that these days, folks should stick to hats except when Crosby is around.

Posted by: false_cause | May 10, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Still upset about the Pitt fan and his kid. I feel as if I should have called social services.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | May 10, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I hate that scene, again.

Show some respect to your home ice, I love how every year the fans, most of them bandwagoners, talk trash about how classy DC fans are and now two years in a row, because before last year nobody was at VC, our "classy fans" have polluted our own ice with garbage, all of you who threw that trash, deserved to be dumped in the empty trash bins on the way out.

Stay "classy" DC, stay classy.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 10, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

pgeagle

That's a great comment...I've been going to games since 1979....and have yet found a reason to throw anything but a hat onto the ice.

Instead of telling someone to grow a pair.....take your trash and throw it on your front lawn....and then grow up.

Don't go off and include the majority of Caps fans that have suffered along with you into a childish minority...

Posted by: rdiehljr | May 10, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

hey steinberg, you try holding season tickets for 10 years and watch a ref call a BS penalty in OT that led to a BS goal. youre not qualified to cover hockey.

Posted by: nolana | May 10, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

The objects thrown on the ice were a fair message to the referee's. A message that read: CALL IT FAIR! Pens have had almost twice as many power plays as the caps this series.

Posted by: nolana | May 10, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

any "fan" that throws stuff on the ice, or condones it, is an idiot.

seriously, throwing trash on the ice, for any reason, is immature and irresponsible, and does NOTHING but bring scorn and embarrassment to the organization.

do the real fans a favor, and stay the F home for Game Seven. you don't deserve this organization.

pathetic immature losers.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | May 10, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Stein"pitts"burg... quit talking & writing about hockey, a sport you know little about, or care about. The only reason you write here is cause the Caps are popular now and it pulls traffic to your "bog". There's no harm or foul for throwing junk on the ice... especially after a weak penalty and weaker goal. The NHL is so tame now compared to the 80's and 90's. We need a little more playoff craziness! If it were any team other than Pitt I think frustrations would be held in check. We got game 6... coming back to DC for game 7.

Posted by: bonzaidrew | May 10, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

WashPost - PLEASE take Steinberg off of posting any Caps related commentary, or ship him off to Pittsburg. He clearly knows NOTHING about hockey. Yes, trash thown on the ice is unbecoming, but this is a sport where fans are really emotionally involved in the sport. Jeez, will he pull a Crosby and complain about hats on the ice when Ovie hopefully scores a hat trick in game 7? What about the octopi tradition in Detroit? Tarik has done a wonderful job covering the Caps, Wise and Steinberg both need to learn about the history and emotion of the game or shut up. Even if the Caps don't go the distance this year, they have a great group of young players for the next many years to possibly win the Cup in those years and I don't want idiot writers like this covering them.

Posted by: hilmerdm | May 10, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

good god you guys are idiots.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | May 10, 2009 2:32 AM | Report abuse

@nolana

I'm a caps fan, too, but the call in OT was good - ref has to make that call, there's no choice. Problem was, he whistled the wrong guy. It was Feds that tripped Malkin, not Juice. It was very close to being a penalty shot - which we would've preferred, I think.

We lost because we're not thinking quickly enough. Maybe LAMov can steal one for us Monday, bring it back to DC for game 7.

Disgusting about the Pens fan. Just don't get caught up in it. If you hate Pens fans or Pens players you're definitely being blinded by something.

Posted by: WritingLight | May 10, 2009 2:32 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU!!! I've been waiting for someone to call out Caps fans and their bad behavior. The Verizon Center needs to do a better job of enforcing good behavior, and not constantly announcing the risks of pucks flying into the stands. The only times when it might be okay to throw things onto the ice are: a hat to celebrate a hat trick, or an octopus in DETROIT during the playoffs. Both of those are done in celebration, not to disrespect the winning team. That penalty during overtime was well deserved, and the winning goal was tipped in by a Capitals player.

Posted by: smihalus | May 10, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

all I am going to say is I am dissappointed after reading this particular article you have written and find it saddening that you have to take the pain Caps fans are feeling right now, and try to attack us with it. There are some great fans in DC and maybe you should focus on the good ones and not the angry ones. We all read this stuff and for you to post something so hurtful and insulting to Caps fans as a whole, we don't need it not from our own people. We should not be turning on each other, if anything...we all need now, more then ever to bond and cheer on our boys, no matter the outcome on Monday.

Posted by: capsfan387 | May 10, 2009 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Although I do not condone the action nor would I toss stuff out there, I completely understand it. Semin gets tripped, no call is made, seconds later Malkin gets tripped, call is made, seconds before power play over Malkin slides a pass across the crease, and it gets put in by our own defensmen.

The Fans felt cheated. So I understand it.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | May 10, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Sad to see that the home fans were pretty upset with the overtime goal. And I can understand the frustration and the results. I'm not going to be one of those Capitals fans whose gonna' take it upon himself to be bashing another Capitals fan for expressing their frustration. They'll need to deal with it on their own. They may not feel all that proud of what they did at the end of the game today. I dunno' but I'm not gonna' devalue their feelings and emotions. I just remind everyone that it's not over yet so let's recover and get ready for Game 6. =)

@Penguins Fans: First off, tools, get off our message boards. We'll handle the situation here on our ice. We don't need you pohicks casting us as classless degenerates. Last I checked Pittsburgh wasn't exactly a burgeoning city people were flocking to so get off your high horses.

Oh, and a quick reminder. Regardless of how loud you cheer or how you think without you, the Penguins would be besides themselves, here's a quick reality check for you - YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO HELP THEM WIN. You weren't on the ice. You weren't taking shots by Ovi. You weren't getting checked into the boards. NOTHING. You DID nothing so get off their coattails like you had an active part in their success.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 10, 2009 4:23 AM | Report abuse

caps fans are so out of control its hilarious reading these posts!

YOu are all a bunch of bandwagon jumping metrosexuals who know little to nothing about hockey. Pens fans just 2 years ago used to make up half of your home games on nights when you hosted the pens. Beyond that, fueled by your local media you have become some of the biggest whiners in the league. You think because (boo-hoo) you have been a season ticket holder for 10 years (boo-hoo) that the league owes you something, that fate owes you a playoff win? Delusional and pathetic. Caps fans are to hockey what jaguar fans are to the nfl. Noone even takes you seriously.

Posted by: bellamay08 | May 10, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

But it is ok for caps fans to ride on the coattails of caps players.

Posted by: cocorules | May 10, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

"But, but, we're not as bad as Philthy fans! This is the new hockeytown!"

Idiots.

Posted by: Section117 | May 10, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans poor behavior is just overcompensation for years of ignoring their team...

I know ZERO fans who have stuck with this team thru thick and thin, lockout, everything...all the fans are termites, coming out of the woodwork to share in success, and then getting mad real easy when failure occurs and projecting their misdirected anger onto real teams and fans that understand the game.

Caps fans don't understand the personnel, what it's on the ice for, the nuances of right and left handed shots, when to pinch, when to get it in deep, when to rush...they know nothing beyond goals, hard checks and fights.

Learn to deal with the frustration of chasing a cup, DC...i am a Flyers fan, and we lost to 3 of the greatest dynasties of all time in the Cup finals (Isles, Oilers, 70s Canadiens) and for good measure (2x to a young Patrick Roy, and the late 90s Wings)....you Caps fans can't even beat Pittsburgh....

SO please, stomach some true failure, continue to go to games and support the team in down years, and maybe you will one day garner respect as a true hockey town...

Until then, it's just a bunch of posers in Red...

Posted by: cworkman1 | May 10, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

all of you are idiots. end of story.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 10, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey cworkman1,
do you actually play hockey?

Posted by: MNMNT | May 10, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I have in the past, I am now old...but i know the rules...i know the nuances...i know the personnel...not sure what my playing history has to do with my piercing knowledge of the Patrick Division (which you are no longer part of)

i also know you weren't at games from about 1987 til last year, because Flyers fans always dominated your building...

Learn the rules, support your team, earn your respect the right way...

Nuff said...

Posted by: cworkman1 | May 10, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Actually anyone that doesn't play hockey is a poser and I'm sure a lot of you non-Caps posters don't play at all.

And second... I don't care how long of a hockey fan you are. Whether it's 16 years or 5 years or 30 years. I don't need to know your hockey resume as long as you know the sport. If you don't then shut the hell up. It was fun sitting in front of the Pissburgh fan that has played hockey maybe three times in his whole life but yet deemed himself an expert on the sport.

"Dude, he got hit in the skate with the puck. (to the girl next to him) OH man, I got hit in the spot where the ankle is, and it's soft there. IT really hurts!"

No Sh*t Sherlock.
Who the hell says that? An idiot fan, and it was like that the whole game. It was fun heckling him and his IQ.

And you know what...Because I didn't watch in 1987 that doesn't make me a fan? What if I started in 91. Does that not make me a fan? Oh god, I wish they'd bring back the Wales/Campbell conferences, instead of this east west regional divison name crap as well! Wow I made a reference to the Old NHL, I'm on a soapbox.

You're a d-bag. It's so easy to claim Philly.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 10, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Two points for LeftCoastCapsFan....

1) This is not a "Caps" message board. It's a Comments section in a nationally recognized newspaper.

2) If Pens fans had no impact.....fine, but that kinda shoots the whole "Rock The Red" premise to hell too, doesn't it.

Posted by: SamsDog | May 10, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Last night is why you have to have fighting in Hockey. Caps fans are vomit sick of the calls all going to Pens and sick of little troll Pen media and troll pen message board posters and whiney d-bags like Crosby.

If the Caps go down two gaols early in the next game, I hope they punch Crosby and Malkin right in their big, loud mouths.

PS- Is it me or is Malkin sporting a nasty underbite with two or three rows of deformed teeth on par with some soft of knuckle dragging caveman.

Posted by: DownTownClown | May 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg tried to put this in a comical way which was apparently to subtle for many here. I'll try to put it more clearly. Yes the calls and more so non-calls that led to the goal were BS, but that in no way makes it OK to throw stuff on the ice. The only thing that does is make DC look bad and give us a bad rep. Anybody who thinks that it is justified needs to grow up. End of story.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 10, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I claim Philly because as a 7 year old DC native I recognized that the red sweater was horsesh*t and that real fans came on buses from Philly to the Cap Center to watch a real hockey team...this was in 1982.

I am a Skins fan, enjoy the Bullets, and support many local efforts...i refuse to get behind bad hockey with subpar fans...this makes me a d-bag?

ANd you and I are in agreement about how many of these fans know the sport and why it's played the way it's played with the personnel at hand....you just choose a different team.

There need to be more Caps fans who know the game before they can be respected...as I initially said, the poor behavior can be recognized as a manifestation of guilt for lack of supporting the team over the years...it's an emotional immaturity.

Posted by: cworkman1 | May 10, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

DTC,

"Penguins" media and message board posters necessitate fighting?

I fail to see what one has to do with the other.

Posted by: SamsDog | May 10, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who threw things on the ice after the game is an idiot.

I suggest those who did seek some anger management counseling.

Posted by: puckman | May 10, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Did the fans do this after Games 1 and 2 against the Rangers?

Did they do this after Game 2 against the Flyers last year?

Nope.

Only done when the refs pull out their hoses and saturate the Caps in OT.

Posted by: CapsNut | May 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, rationalizing must be fun.

Posted by: Section117 | May 10, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

wow... I watching the game at Bar Louie and then post-game'd at Rocket Bar, for the most part the Caps fans were extremely well-behaved. While most gave me, who was wearing a Pens shirt, a hard time it certainly wasn't classless.

Calling out Pens fans for being annoying seems a little ridiculous though. I mean the "woman" saying she isn't able to sleep because of obscenities she heard during the game is hilarious. Its a sporting event, a great one at that, not a church.

For the rest of the "Caps" fans on here. Throwing garbage on the ice is inexcusable and it is behavior best suited for adolescents. I realize most of you have only been hockey fans for the past 2 years, but most teams would not tolerate that behavior. Its embarrassing.

Posted by: phyler | May 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

There is a long history of fans throwing garbage on the ice in protest (see last night's Vancouver game as an example http://nationalsportsreview.com/sports/us/BobBirge/2009/05/10/canuck-fans-vent-as-blackhawks-grab-lead-in-series/). Its nothing new, so i think the standard "oh it must be bandwagon fans" attitude is wrong. Those Canuck fans can't possibly be bandwagoners. They're canadian!

That being said, it does reflect poorly on our fanbase and I'd like to see it become a thing of the past. I've never thrown anything on the ice, and don't plan to start but if that blatant interference on Boyd Gordon gets called, the Caps get a power play for about 1:50 that I am willing to bet my mortgage that they would have scored on.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | May 10, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey Caps fans, Way to rock the red baby. Quit your crying and learn to win and LOOSE like adults. Your top star is awesome, he is dirty yet awesome and despite his tactics, we still will be moving on after tommorow. Get used to this feeling because as long as cindy, malkin and fleury are around, you along with philly we be enjoying early playoff exits for years to come.
One more thing. If by chance this goes to gm 7, please continue to see your tickets to us so we can come "rock the black and gold"

Posted by: Pensfan4life | May 10, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

And those of you blasting Steinberg for posting this need to wake up. Remember the dark ages (say, oh, 2 years ago) when the Capitals would only have game recaps in the post and that was it?

We're very fortunate to have a wide spectrum of coverage now. Tarik with the hard facts and updates, Steinberg for the lighter side of things, and other columnists chipping in as well.

Whether you agree or disagree with what Dan wrote, we should all be thankful that we get a couple of Capitals related posts each day to breakup the monotony of the work day.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | May 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Pensfan4Life -

LOOSE like adults? Way to spell like a second grader.

Loose - –adjective
1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | May 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Throwing Pom-Poms- who cares
Throwing water bottles, no real harm.
Throwing Cowbells someone could get seriously injured. All its going to take is one drunk idiot out of 18K to chuck a cowbell from the upper deck thinking they can make the ice, hitting someone below and causing serious injury.

I was at the game, we were robbed. The NHL is basically gotten as bad as the NBA. But don't throw something that could change both the throwers and the person its hits life.

Posted by: Natstural | May 10, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I never said I could read. I also meant to say sell, not see. As in sell your tickets, like you have done for the past 10 games in Washington prior to this series. You have been shamed into holding onto them by good old Ted i guess. Poor Ted, he wants to win so bad, he even writes a blog. haha
You guys just continue to Rock that Red baby, Rock that Red.

Posted by: Pensfan4life | May 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Just think, Cap fans... Soon the Caps will be out of the play-offs. You will have bandwagon to ride for a few months; and that is only if the Redskins have a good year.
If you really gave a damn about your team, you would have been there over the past five years for home games, instead of allowing Pens fans to buy up most of the Verizon Center.
And lastly: Where is Semin? He talked so much smack on Crosby at the of the season. He said he wasn't that great... How many goals have you scored Alex? If you're going to talk big, back it up like OV does.

Posted by: PensfanWV | May 10, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg: last thing we need is a lecture from a pompous, geek sportswriter who isn't even from the area. Stick it where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, sadly, i think every single idiot that threw garbage on the ice last night has now posted a comment here.

grow up and get off the bandwagon you stupid, immature jerks.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | May 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

classy fans follow the example of their classy owner

"To watch Alex Semin get tripped, to watch Boyd Gordon get it in the head and see Steckel get interfered with. In 10 years as an owner in this league, I've never once been on the power play in overtime." - Ted Leonsis

get over it Ted. there's a reason you have to lockout opposing fans from your home games. and apparently, you still can't do it.

Posted by: jar66su | May 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the Caps fans are second behind the Flyer fans in bad behaviour. For examply, The rats tossed at Roy in Florida, an organized display, not meant to be vicious, but, the reckless throwing of water bottles etc. is just punk. How about having some real loyalty to the game? Hockey fans are supposed to be better than this. I agree, it is the bandwagoners that act up. First game of year, and far too many brews. BTW, with the hit on Gonch, did the Pens fans go off and toss trash onto ice? NO! The bad call on Hossa in Wings/Ducks game, did the fans toss garbage? NO! they get it! But the calls some of you freaked over were good calls. Apparently some of you don't get it and don't deserve a hockey team.

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 10, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more with this article
Caps fans have NO Class....

Posted by: beanfrompa | May 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it funny how the Pittsburgh fans will tell how great their Steelers and Penguins are but never mention the "Pirates".

Maybe MLB can arrange the schedule so that the Nationals and Pirates only face each other. Then it can be assured that one of them have a winning record at the end of the season! Hahhaha

Posted by: puckman | May 10, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

throwing things on the ice is NEVER EVER justified. and those who are attempting to justify it are not representative of true fans of any team who win and lose w/ class. it has nothing to do with being a new fan or old fan. you dont have to follow a team for 20year to realize that throwing things on the ice in the stands is obnoxious and classless. those same folks who are justifying it probably were calling for tortorella to get suspending for throwing a single water bottle. both are classless and uncessary. fortunately, it was a small minorty of "fans" who went to such an extreme and i am glad steinberg called them out.

but for those fans from other cities who think we are unique, think again. unfortunately this happens in every city from time to time. just so happens the caps have lost two tough OT games at home in back to back years.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

classy fans follow the example of their classy owner

Posted by: jar66su | May 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

go over to pensblog and tell me who has classy fans...including those who think death threats are funny. and if you've got such GREAT fans, how come i was able to go on ticketmaster 1 hour before game 3 and find tickets at the igloo? last time i checked, ted doesnt control ebay, stubhub or ticketmaster exchange where there were seats available...and yet there still were very few pens fans in the house on a saturday night.

at least our owner has never threatened to sell us out to the highest bidder and skip town...you remember that, back when the pens were last in the league in attendance...or maybe you dont because you might be one of those pens bandwagon fans who lost interest between 93-04...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 10, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pens fans guess what? Remember last year when we beat you handily to win the Cup? That was awesome! Go Wings!

Ignore these Pens fans. There was no team better than the Pens who complained about officiating in the playoffs last year. Every single game in the Finals the Penguins would look for a call. They got so frustrated that they eventually started brawls in which Datsyuk threw a punch. Just get under their skin tomorrow night and you will be back in the run for the Cup.

Posted by: hockeytownUSA | May 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all get along. One thing I think we can both agree with is that if the NHL would call penalties when infractions occur, both teams would have a lot more powerplay chances.
Hal Gill has no business matching up against ovechkin, semin, etc however the NHL refuses to call penalties in the playoffs thus it makes it looks like player's like Gill belong in the league.
The same can be said for character's like poti, or puddy or whatever his name is. He can't match up with crosby or malkin, but he and others can clutch, grab and throw their sticks at them as they fly by them.
Hockey could be a great sport that people would watch if they would eliminate the clutch/grab/hooking etc that ruins the playoffs.

Let's go Pens.

Posted by: Pensfan4life | May 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The refs hate us! The refs keep cheating us! The refs like the Pens better than us! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think the refs hate you? What interest do they have in who advances out of this series? The only reason I can think of that the refs have it in for the Caps would be to get rid of BB's incessant whining and to stick it to the classless, hockey-ignorant fans. Other than that, makes no sense, but please, whine away! It's fun laughing at you while you do!

Posted by: dan_comet | May 10, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Throwing crap on the ice is IDIOTIC.

I'm a 10 year season ticket holder, and the idiot throwers are an embarassment.

You think that wasn't a trip? Where did you learn hockey? Coulda easily been given a penalty shot on that one.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Isn't is a fact that the Pens only had 3 PP all game? How many did the Caps have? I have a great idea. For the losers out there that are whining over supposed missed calls or bad calls, invest in a DVR or TIVO. Seriously, then watch and re-watch and pause and watch again (if necessary), then come back to the boards and apologize. It is OK, we will wait.

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Vancouver fans did the exact same thing last night after the team gave up a power-play goal late.

I guess those Canadian fans don't know how to act either.

Posted by: Zilla05 | May 10, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the fans are protecting the house. The more whining from a wuss sportswriter, the more we know Verizon is becoming an intimidating place for the opposition and their fans.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 10, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I did not realize throwing stuff onto the ice during a hissy-fit is intimidating.

Posted by: griff2311 | May 10, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

pgeagle
nolana
bonzaidrew
hilmerdm
capsfan387
cirrus_nine
CapsNut (I expected better from you)
Natstural
poguesmahone

The above posters are bad representatives of Caps nation, and should turn in their fan cards immediately to Ted Leonsis.

PensFan4life: your posts show how poor Pittsburgh schools are

jar66su: he's the owner. He can keep you out if he wants to and there's nothing you can do about it.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 10, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

This breaks my heart far more deeply than an unfair loss does.

Posted by: jen-s | May 10, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"Well the Pittsburgh fans can tell everyone "How great their Steelers (current SuperBowl Champs), and Penguins (last year Stanley Cup finalists), but never mention the "Pirates"." what is there to mention? We will just wait until there is something great to talk about, not just to hear ourselves speak."

That's interesting. So you're not following the Pirates now, but if they became good, you would brag about them. Does that mean you would be on a Pirates...bandwagon?

This bandwagon stuff is such a non-insult. I have been going to Caps games regularly for 25 years. Am I supposed to be sad that the arena is now full of Caps fans instead of opposing ones? You know what kind of teams have bandwagons? Good teams. Show me someone who is accusing Caps fans of being on a bandwagon, and I'll show you someone who is jealous of the Caps' success. And also, for the thousandth time: THE PENGUINS HAVE FILED FOR CHAPTER 11 TWICE AND NEARLY MOVED TO KANSAS CITY. NO PENGUINS FAN IS IN ANY POSITION TO BELITTLE ANY OTHER HOCKEY FAN FOR SUPPOSEDLY BEING ON A BANDWAGON. EVER. EVER.

Posted by: christiansonm | May 10, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

In other words, a very small minority of professional sports teams are able to draw huge crowds even when they stink, and most of those are in the NFL. Only fans of those teams are in any position to belittle the alleged fickleness of other teams' fan bases. The Penguins are NOT included among those teams.

Posted by: christiansonm | May 10, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

As Chris Rock said about OJ Simpson and Nicole Smith:

"I'm not saying he should have done it, but I understand"

A little too preachy, Steinberg. We've been through a lot against the Penguins and as a whole.

Posted by: CF11555 | May 10, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Also:

I was at the game. I did not throw anything. I don't support or applaud those who did. But... I have a hard time working up any real outrage about it.
Argue all you want about the fairness or correctness of the calls, but an objective review of recent Caps history will show that they have had some very unusual experiences with going shorthanded in playoff overtime. Does anyone remember a few years ago when they gave up a game-winning goal (which, if I remember correctly, was actually a series-winning goal) to Tampa while TWO MEN down? In playoff overtime? Then, two years in a row, they lose crucial home games in OT while shorthanded early in the first OT. And while the call against the Caps was correct, a lot of us thought they missed two against the Pens that should have evened things up. If you want to send a message to the NHL that you feel your team got treated unfairly, throwing stuff on the ice is ten times as effective as firing off a bunch of emails to nhl.com.

Also I'd like to point out that this occurred after the game was over, thus causing no delay and virtually no risk of injury.

So like I said, I'm just really not that upset that people did it. Littering the ice just because your team lost would be juvenile and embarrassing. These incidents, however, occur in situations where people (whether or not you personally agree) feel their team was not given a fair chance to win, and are trying to express to the league that the officiating bias is unacceptable. At least, if I had thrown a bottle, that would have been why.

Posted by: christiansonm | May 10, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

They are done. It's time to change the name, the Bullets used the death rate in D.C to change the teams name.

The Caps should use their own death rate every season for the argument to change their name.

The Washington ????????????

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE......

Posted by: 1-20-09 | May 10, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey christonsomn, the Pens were never leaving town. Mario was simply posturing for the best money deal with the state for the new arena. All the while they were talking about Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Las Vegas; the front office was putting together the package to keep the team in the burg - that included working with the arena design company!! They were never leaving.....period!!! Go Pens!!

Posted by: Pensfansince1967 | May 10, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I was upset after the los but don't condone throwing things in the ice. I annoys me that the folks who could throw things that would actually reach the ice are those in the lower level expensive seats, not the unwashed masses like me in the upper level. At least it was after the game ended. And I don't agree with the "protecting our house mentality," the fans don't play for the team nd we are not a street gang.

Posted by: NovaCath | May 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

pensfansinc67,
so what you are saying is, that if the team didnt get the new arena through the use of the slots company, they would have staying in pittsburgh and played at the igloo? trust me, that isnt true. sure the team was using KC, etc at a threat to the city, but no doubt they would have left w/out a new arena. the economics would not have worked out for them. outdated building w/ not enough suite revenue and about 3000 seats too small. sorry, mario doesnt have pockets that deep.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 10, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

The Washington ????????????

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE......

Posted by: 1-20-09 | May 10, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

well, they cant call themselves the washington a-holes cause i think thats been taken by you.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 10, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't really follow hockey, but my goodness, I'd love to see my baseball team in the playoffs for one year let alone two. I'd also love to see them have as much coverage in this blog and elsewhere as the Caps and Redskins have. Trust me, I know that it's not fun to see your team lose but I do think that Steinberg has a point re. throwing things on the ice.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Eh, a few bottles on the ice never hurt anyone (unless they actually did). As someone else eluded to, I don't condone it but I wasn't going to stop anyone. The Pens know they stole another one...cannot wait until tomorrow.

Posted by: BlaketheMegalomaniac | May 10, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Do the Caps still show the fake video of fans throwing trash on a lady wearing a Pens Jersey? I wonder why people think it is ok to throw trash. All starts with front office. They also show a another video of the same woman picking her nose. Haven't bought a ticket since I saw those videos. BTW, I bought tickets for the first ever game at the phone booth, 4 rows off the glass 5 hours before the game. BTW, love the fake signs that you hang in the lower bowl. I like how the Caps try to make them look like somebody made them at home. Maybe you should change them or least move them around. Too Funny

Posted by: amadei66 | May 10, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

We OWN you Capitals!

Posted by: LEM66 | May 10, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Long time Penguins fan and was in attendance Saturday night for the game. I understand the Capitals fans pain and reactions. This whole series has been so up and down and so evenly matched it is tough to deal with a loss such as this. The game was decided on a bounce yet again just like game 3 was and if it was happening to the Pens in The Igloo I am positive things would have happened the same way. The whole series has been one poorly officiated game and missed call after another. I think the NHL officiating has tarnished what really could be one of the greatest playoff series in NHL history and that is where my real problem is. Lets hope game 6 is called better and the rest of the playoffs for which ever excellent team advances!!!!

Posted by: plaw8766 | May 10, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

plaw8766:
well said. here's to hoping we get to see a game 7 - not that you really want to though.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there are TONS of idiots on this thread, and most of them are from S*ittsburgh or philthydelphia, shocking.

Personally I have been a Caps fan since 1977, and held season tix from 80-92, then 99-07. I currently get to 20+ games per season. I also grew up playing ice hockey, and played for 25 years. Caps don't have real fans that know hockey huh? LOL! That is totally false, and is laughable.

Caps fans have never been "outnumbered" in our own building in verizon center. The last time that happened was at capital centre back in the late 70's very earl 80s. Sure, theres been a few times several years ago where there were significant numbers of opposing fans, but its mostly been red wings fans. Once it was pens fans, and they still did not out number us. In the last 3 seasons, there have been only a couple hundred visiting fans at most, including this years playoffs. Its hilarious all these "fans" come here and talk like they know something when they dont know S**t.

As for the throwing stuff on the ice, well I understand why and the frustration, as well as the long history of that happening in hockey, but, I do not think it is right, nor do I participate.

Posted by: KJ71 | May 11, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

I've been going to Caps games for 22 years. Fans get passionate. Fans get upset. While I don't necessarily condone it, throwing stuff on the ice has always been part of the game. Steinberg, you just want to yank our chain. Find something notable to report, not just a space filler.

Posted by: luvdcaps | May 11, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Being passionate is great. Chucking stuff on the ice after a game is bush-league and low-rent. Bottom line ... Passion shouldn't equate to stupid behavior. With so many kids in the stands, adults ought to think a little about how their actions affect and influence children.

P.S. This isn't unique to DC. It happens in other places too, and it's just wrong wherever it happens.

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 11, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Add 2 more names to the list of fans that need to turn in their fan cards to Ted Leonsis immediately:

luvdcaps
1-20-09
CF11555

Anyone who condones throwing stuff on the ice or disses brother Steinberg is Not A Real Caps Fan.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 11, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

when am i going to learn to pass on reading anything written by Dan?

Posted by: daddy_axe | May 11, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

RH,

My fan card isn't going anywhere. Who are you and who gave you the right to define what is and is not an acceptable opinion?

1. Steinberg's tone in this post IS smug and preachy.

2. What part of "I'm not saying he should have done it, but I understand" didn't you understand?

Someone needs to take your powertrip card away from you pronto..........

Posted by: CF11555 | May 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I love how fans of other teams just show up here and claim to know how long each and every one of us has been supporting the Caps. If we hadn't been Caps fans for YEARS we wouldn't have been livid out of our minds watching history repeat itself on Saturday night -- with a PP goal against in OT, while the opposing team is permitted to take penalties at will.

Take your clueless and over-generalizing judgments about Caps fans and stick 'em where the sun don't shine!

Posted by: CapsChick | May 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

And P.S.: Dan, I have for the most part enjoyed your Caps coverage over the past couple of months and you seemed cool when I met you at a game, but this entry just plain sucks.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 11, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe anyone is defending the act of throwing stuff on the ice after a loss.

Stein is dead on here.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

If I was closer to the ice, I might have thrown something. I would have regretted it later, but in the heat of the moment, I was awful mad at the refs.

Posted by: decoy13 | May 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Are people really trying to justify this?

If you think it's acceptable to throw debris on the ice, recall that you're a person, not an animal--or at least, you're supposed to be.

And even more important, remember that the players are people, the officials are people, and the maintenance and cleaning staff are people too. Have pity for them having to clean up after your rude mess, at the very least.

Posted by: jen-s | May 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that Caps fans are finally showing some spunk.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Randy_Hawkins I sure hope you're trying to be funny. I never said I condone throwing stuff on the ice, but it happens. Ted's blog said that if they can identify those people who threw stuff they will pay the price.

Posted by: luvdcaps | May 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

A few comments:

-Where were all these Pens fans in the early 2000's? Even Crosby's first year, their attendance was horrible.
-Pittsburgh filed bankruptcy; as bad as Washington was, don't recall Leonsis filing Chapter 11.
-FACT: Pittsburgh has had 3 overtime games this year, and in all three had powerplays (game 2 against PHL, games 3 and 5 against WSH). I will wait while someone finds the last time a team had 3 straight OT games in which they were awarded a powerplay while the other team wasn't. On two of the powerplays they scored game winning goals. This isn't whining...I'm pointing out something factually accurate.

In game 2 against the Flyers Orpik took as bad of a dive as I've ever seen, putting the Flyers down (then to make matters worse, the Flyers got called for a slashing penalty (legit)), and Pittsburgh scored on the 5-on-3.

Posted by: jcurrin | May 11, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Good points. Especially about Pissburgh's attendance. They averaged 11,000 people one year early this decade. Much worse than the Caps have ever done.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 11, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that is condoning throwing things on the ice, while sober, should be shot. And that's a lot of you on here, especially for giving Dan crap.

If you have a couple of drinks in you, sure, anything can be justified while you're in that state of mind but for those of you are complaining about this, should get a clue.

At least Dan's pieces are entertaining unlike some of the reporters I won't name. That happen to be white and bald as well.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 11, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

We don't need to be lectured by a carpetbagging dwebe with a failing newspaper. Simple as that.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 11, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Are we sure that Caps fans weren't just throwing their recyclables onto the ice? Caps fans are very committed to the environment and green causes.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | May 11, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans need to come together! Big night tonight. Stop all the arguing and let's rally behind the Caps and win tonight and bring it back to DC for game 7!!!

And WHEN it comes back - I hope that our fans behave. It was embarrassing and Ted was very disappointed too. I understand emotions and was very upset myself, but throwing things wasn't the answer. What many people may not know is that several items hit fans below and were injured (I personally saw a woman that had a bloody face and another person having to leave arena in a wheelchair). Throwing an almost full water bottle from the upper deck can seriously someone!

Posted by: ilovethenats | May 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

poguesmahone
what kind of stupid name is that do you have for your alias. stop throwing crap on the ice. simple as that.

I saw someone throw a full water bottle from the upper deck into the 100 section three rows from the ice.

smart. genius.

last time i looked, the refs don't clean the ice. if you didn't throw anything then it doesn't pertain to you. if you're too sensitive about it still, get a therapist.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 11, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Why is there so much controversy over TRASH? Seriously, aren't there paid employees at Verizon Center who clean after the game.

The Caps are consistently disrespected and treated unfairly by the league and it's officials. When you mix one-sided officiating, marketing, and media coverage with playoff emotion and intensity what do you think is gonna happen?

I don't see why there's such uproar about angry and emotional fan reactions. People should be angry.

Oh and all you Sh*ttsburgh, Philly, and other Cap-hating fans shouldn't be commenting on here in the first place. Yeah it's a "respected, National news source" yadda yadda, but you all know damn well why you came to the WASHINGTON post today to comment: to kick Caps fans while they're down.... very classy.

Just so out of towners and DC transplants aren't confused, thousands upon thousands of us have been supporting the Caps for decades. EVERY team has attendance spikes when having great years, and EVERY team has attendance slumps when in rebuilding years. Don't forget, the Penguins almost MOVED a few years back... so don't look down on us.

Posted by: paulfromsilverspring | May 11, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

caps fans are so out of control its hilarious reading these posts!

Posted by: bellamay08 | May 10, 2009 7:55 AM

To dispell the BS myth that all Caps fans are bandwagoners:

Atendance figures- rank, average attendance
2001

2008
Was 24th 15472
Pi 16th 17076

2009
Was 14th 18097
Pit 19th 16975

PenWHINE fans numbered more when the Caps weren't winning, yes, but to say it was 9000+ fans is a stretch.

Delusional, whiny and ignorant. The epitome of pens fans.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 11, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT: as I said, I"m glad the Caps fans are showing some spunk. And poguesmahone

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 11, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget 2003-2004 when Pissburgh AVERAGED 11,800 fans. Which is one of the worst in NHL history. Great sports town, that.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 11, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that was a lot of comments for two bad screenshots taken off a video camera.

If anyone's still reading here, a few thoughts

1) I wasn't outraged. I think that's clear. I don't get outraged about much in life.

2) Injuries to fans aside (and this is the first I've heard about that), I dislike trash throwing largely because it allows out-of-towners to paint D.C. fans with a broad brush of nastiness. Cracks about bad D.C. fans annoy me the same way cracks about the city itself annoy me, and it's hard to forget things like that tossed bottle from Game 7 last year. And yeah, I know some of you don't care what I think on this topic.

3) I understand why fans would be upset to lose another OT playoff game on the power play. But I would argue that thrown trash is not the most effective means to lobby NHL officials.

4) Pro sports are cruel for sure. But I also believe they should primarily be fun, a distraction from leaky roofs and moldy basements and cruel bosses. I'm opposed to things that make sports seem like real life, and thrown trash (and fights in the stans) qualify.

But no outrage here. Shocked that so many people got so fired up about this. I certainly wasn't.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | May 11, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse