How the Nationals Catch Fly Balls

Another controversial result for the Nats last night, with the "home run" ball that seemed to defy typical rules of bouncing. But that wasn't even the most interesting outfield adventure. I'll choose Josh Willingham's pursuit of this ball into the left field corner. And apologies for my TV being difficult.

Scene 1, above: Baseball outfielder pursues ball into the left field corner, something you might see 600 times a season. Borrrring.

Scene 2: Baseball outfielder prepares to catch the ball. Feel free to get up and grab some more celery stix from the fridge. Nothing to see here.

Scene 3: Hold up, what just happened? I see the ball, and the glove, and they're supposed to now be resting together in perfect harmony. They're not supposed to be two, blurred-out, disharmonious bodies, passing in the night. Confused. Need more celery.

Scene 4: Um, Josh, where exactly are you going? The ball's behind you.

Scene 5: Haw dyd tht jist hppen?

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 28, 2009; 11:24 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Blogging the Bee, Round 4
Next: Live Blogging the Bee, Round 5

Comments

I think Josh Willingham might just be a worse outfielder than Adam Dunn, if that's possible.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | May 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Did you have Michael J. Fox take these pictures for you?

Posted by: Section138 | May 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Who did we give up for WIllingham again?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan -- I'd like to see you run full tilt towards the corner like that with about two feet of foul territory and try and catch that ball. Sure, most fielders will make that catch, but I assure you that more times than not that ball drops in like it did with Willingham.

Posted by: erocks33 | May 28, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Erocks33 apparently uses the logic that you cannot criticize anything that you cannot do. So, for instance, I cannot criticize a Jason Campbell pass because I could not have made a better pass myself. I cannot criticize a movie because, well, I couldn't have made a better movie myself. And so on and so forth.

Erocks33 also makes the assumption that Mr. Steinberg cannot catch a routine fly ball in the corner of the outfield, without knowing the baseball catching skills of Mr. Steinberg.

My advice to Erocks33 is that if you are going to criticize someone else for their criticism, you ought to think about doing it without using flawed logic and without making assumptions.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 28, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Emilio Bonifacio, who the Nats traded to Florida to get Willingham, could easily have made it to that ball from his position at SS or 3B. But he probably wouldn't have caught it either.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

138: That's just wrong...that's just wrong...

-Algore

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 28, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

your lolcats speak needs more work.

Posted by: icantfeelmyface | May 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse