Marissa Coleman (Still) Hates Dookies

AP photo by Nell Redmond.

If I were teaching Professional Athlete Marketing 101, at least one seminar would be devoted toward "insulting and publicly expressing hatred toward your biggest rival, even if you actually could give a Gatorade about them." Obviously, we recognize that players come from all over the place, and wouldn't necessarily inherit fan-generated hatred for other teams, but if they pretend to hate, the fans will love them.

I thought of this when I read Chris Cooley's recent Q&A with Extra Mustard, in which he was asked about his least favorite city.

"Philly," he replied. "I really don't like Philly. I got a cheesesteak the first time I went there, but other than that, there's just nothing exciting about Philly."

Insults about how rival cities have nothing going on? Yup, that's red, cheese-slathered meat for fans. (As are stories about downing mini-bottles of Jack Daniels and Cooley's response that his favorite sports venue is Verizon Center for Caps games, but that's another story.) Point being, even if he doesn't really despise Philly, saying so earns him major points with the fan base. Which brings me to Marissa Coleman, the former Maryland star who is now on the Mystics' roster as a first-round pick.

College is a bit different than the pros, since there is often a geographic connection between player and team, and there's plenty of time to lap up rivalry tales, but still, no one is forcing Coleman to diss a Dookie now that she's out in the real world. And yet here's from her first-ever blog for Comcast SportsNet:

Not only do I have to get use to #4, but playing with all these "Dookies" as well. Even though they "claim" we are not their rivals, every current or past Terp knows we are. (I mean, I know if a team beat me in a thrilling...come from behind...over-time victory...in a National Championship game, I would claim them as my rival)

Three Devils and two Terps on one team. Interesting brew. One of the Devils, Alana Beard, apparently tried to prank Coleman, but she didn't fall for it. "See, at the GREAT University of Maryland not only do we get a great education and win Championships, but we also learn street smarts," she continued. "Leave it to a Dookie to not be able to carry out a prank and leave it to a Terp to be too smart to fall for it."

See, Coleman gets like an A+++ in my marketing class.

(So does Fred Smoot, for his "We Hate Dallas" rant. Meanwhile, Daniel "Boobie" Gibson fails, for wearing a Nats hat in D.C. after losing to the Wizards.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 27, 2009; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Redskins , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Accused Fla. Steroid Dealer Implicates Caps, Nats
Next: Meet Tracee Hamilton, New Sports Columnist

Comments

I would agree with Cooley, after living in Phillthy for 4 years for college. It don't have much going for it.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 27, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I had to read the blog post to understand what Coleman found so objectionable. I thought that "dookie" was a reference to a bodily function (#2) and was wondering whether she simply needed privacy, or if there was a larger medical/psychological problem behind this. Then I discover it refers to people who attended Duke. Stupid me!

Posted by: skipper7 | May 27, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The academic gulf between the two schools is wide. Duke is generally considered one of the top five universities in the US - Maryland - not in the top 50. I hope her "street smarts" come in handy - her "rivals" left their university with a bit more than that.

Posted by: baseballguy | May 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Maryland grad, but despite the claims from Coleman, Gary Williams, et al, I've never really considered Duke as a rival. Men's and women's basketball, yes, right now, but not in all sports, not by a wide margin. (If you don't play each other in football every year, I can't consider it a rivalry.)

I can recall in the mid-1970s when Maryland's big basketball rival was N.C. State, and in the pre-at large bid era, those games had FAR more impact than any regular-season Maryland-Duke game will ever have. But Maryland-NCSU fell by the wayside, and the same thing wilf happen once Duke returns to its pre-Coach K level.

Trouble is, Maryland really has no genuine rival in the ACC. Virginia came close, but now that Virginia Tech is in the ACC, the Cavs focus their attention on the Gobblers. (I refuse to use the "Hokies" nickname; it just sounds stupid.) Maryland and Navy could be big football rivals if they played every year, but these days it's hard for a BCS school to have a genuine rivalry with a military academy (as would happen with Syracuse vs. Army).

It's simply a matter of geography, Maryland isn't UNC, where TWO longtime rivals (State and Duke) are less than an hour's drive from campus.

Posted by: VPaterno | May 27, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Heheheh, sounds like Marissa to a T...or an M.

BTW Baseballguym UMD is a top 50 school in several disciplines.

Posted by: EricS2 | May 27, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse