Ovie's Car, Penguins Dolls

I'll be honest, Game 1 felt slightly anti-climactic. or maybe pre-climactic. Maybe it was because of the sheer joy from Game 7 of the last series, which was tough to match for a Game 1, even against the Pens. Maybe it was because simultaneously dealing with a broken laptop and a broken BlackBerry makes me want to tear out my eyeballs using nothing but a USB cable and some mouthwash. Maybe it was because once you've passed out hundreds of pacifiers to taunt an opposing team, there's not many other places you can go. Maybe it was because everything feels a half-note flat on a Saturday afternoon, with fans perhaps sharing some of Alex Ovechkin's chronic afternoon sleepiness.

"It is a very unusual time for any hockey player," Sergei Fedorov said, according to OFB. "We just got used to playing in the evening."

(That's why hockey players say "tonight" to refer to games that were played in the afternoon, as in, "at least we got the win tonight, during this hockey game that ended at 3:30 pm.")

Also, I think I made a strategic mistake in looking forward to a new wave of Crosby Crying merchandise. Sure, there were some "Can't Spell Crosby Without Cry" t-shirts, and there was the baby in his Crosby jersey. The incredible Empty Netters blog has dozens of compelling photos, including these three below: a Crosby jersey innovation, your blurry author laughing with Pat Sajak (who criticized the color of your blurry author's blazer) and Ovie's car.

Either way, I'm anticipating more anticipation for tonight, and not only because Jim Zorn (and Danny Smith) will be hip hip hooraying away from the glass. Oh, and Jason Campbell compared Pens-Caps to Cowboys-Redskins.

(Oh, and I also watched all of Crosby's press conference. Not one moment that, in any universe, could have been construed as a whine. He was pretty likable, all in all.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 4, 2009; 11:49 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps-Pens Prop Bets
Next: Pittsburgh Media Getting Chippy

Comments

Get that Pens fan away from that car.

She'll have it jimmied and hot-wired and on it's way to Mellon arena faster then Mario cooks up breakfast for Sidney..

Posted by: SA-Town | May 4, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I saw Crosby's press conf, but couldn't hear him...too busy cringing at his awkward playoff facial hair.

Speak of...have you gotten a chance to see Alzner today - now that is a playoff beard!

Posted by: stormblue | May 4, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I didn't find him likeable at all. I found him dour and totally unwilling to give Varlamov any credit for the big save he made.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sidney cries. We get it. Move on.

Posted by: Section117 | May 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stormblue | May 4, 2009 12:53 PM

Add a trucker hat and I think you've got Kevin Federline.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | May 4, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

But seriously, Sid needs to say Varly made a great save on him instead of saying it was luck and he didn't really get a lot on it, which is true, but that's his fault for not getting enough on it.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I knew that's how Sidney looked when he was a baby. He looks just like that now, only with darker hair.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 4, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"CapsChick: That also bothered me. It's like Sid kept referring to Varly as "the goalie made a great save," in my head I kept on saying, "you know, he has a name!!" But maybe he too couldn't pronounce it so he didn't bother. I would rather him just say the "goalie" than butcher his name, he's already had enough of that episode."

Kinda hard to criticize him for that when we Caps fans love it when Ovie does the same. What was his quote the other night? "Varlamov played great and so did the pole."

Posted by: amalg | May 4, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, apparently I only saw half the Ovie quote. My bad.

Posted by: amalg | May 4, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse