Pittsburgh Media Getting Chippy

There was a stunning lack of hostility from players on both sides following Saturday's game. This was the closest I heard, from Brooks Orpik:

"Sid came out and set the tone for us right away," he said. "I thought all day he stayed out of the nonsense after the whistles, even when they tried to get him off his game."

Some have interpreted this quote from Sidney Crosby as a message to Semyon VarLaaaaaamov, but I think that's reaching a bit.

"You have to put pressure on a goalie to see if he's cool or not," Crosby said. "We did a pretty good job of that and he made some good saves. Early on we had some really good chances (and) we didn't execute. Whether that was him or us, who knows? I think we felt we could have made it more difficult on him."

So it's left to the media to stir things up. Here's today's attempt, from Columbia native, former Terp and KDKA correspondent Jory Rand:

If karma is real, the Caps may be in trouble. They're holding their workouts at their practice facility Kettler Sports Complex just outside the city making it impossible for media to cover both teams. They also took the interview podium with them. You know, that giant stage and banner with NHL and Stanley Cup logos on it? They took it with them. Odd, no? Not only that, but they're not exactly being cordial with the Pens PR staff, and to top it all off, the soda fountain for media is broken. I know, I know, we are spoiled, but if you're spending an entire day working in this building and there's a soda fountain, is it too much to ask that it work? Maybe so. Either way, we'll see if any of this comes back to bite them.

No doubt it will. Because on the global metaphysical "tempting karma" scale, very few things rank above "depriving visiting TV sports journalists free soda for four hours, right before you give them free food and free popcorn and free cookies and free coffee and enough free soda that they could pour gallons of Root Beer off their TV hair and down their makeup-drenched TV faces and still have enough to bathe their feet in the stuff as they file their final post-game report while blowing Root Beer bubbles at their drunk-on-Root-Beer producers."

Like, all those mortgage-backed securities brokers who bought 70-foot tall ice sculptures for their bacchanalia odes to excess while joking about the suckers defaulting on mortgages before making a single payment? They got nothing on a hockey team whose home arena (owned by a separate company, surrounded by dozens of restaurants, many of which sell cola) has the gall to shut off the corn syrup filters at a time when literally 10 or 11 sportswriters have occupied the joint.

For the record, the soda fountain is turned off day-time for every Verizon Center event, from Wiz to Caps to, I assume, Mystics and Horse Show. As for the cordiality complaint, well, if the rival PR staffs decide to throw down, I hope they give me a few minutes advance warning.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 4, 2009; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovie's Car, Penguins Dolls
Next: The YouTube Legend of Joe Beimel

Comments

Since when is Kettler not accessible? Just take the Metro over if it's so important, unless you're afraid of Swine Flu.

Somebody call the Wwaaaaaaaahmanbulance, Pittsburgh's upset.

Posted by: Vance_BP | May 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

those evil capitals! how dare they hold their practices at their practice facility? what is the world coming to?

Posted by: sirbobalew | May 4, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

At least we give the media a restroom. Can't say the same about Detroit...yet I bet no one complains up there.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | May 4, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Of course this guy is whiny. He is as you say a native of Columbia and a Terp.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | May 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! Dan, this post gave me the laugh I really needed. Well done, sir. I hope the Caps can overcome the bad "no-soda" juju and pull out a win tonight!!!

Posted by: vrgogrl | May 4, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the laugh, Dan. I posted a comment over there. Perhaps if this clown did a little detective work he would discover the snack bar or Coke machine at Kettler. They really are not hard to find and maybe he could even get his $1.25 reimbursed!

Meanwhile, I'm sure the Caps are shaking in their skates at the thought of karmic retribution for skating at - GASP! - their own practice facility.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The whining is an organizational thing. Top to Bottom.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | May 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think

Posted by: writered21 | May 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Jory Rand needs to be rudely introduced to Donald Brashear - give the big guy someone to pummel while he sits out his suspension.

What a whiny piece of crap.

Posted by: writered21 | May 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Jory's bio states that he is "ecstatic to now call Pittsburgh home."

Posted by: CapsChick | May 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

AO fired the first missile~ missed the net..."the post played well." In reference to Marc Andre' Fleury's play on Saturday.

Game on!

Posted by: diane918 | May 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

So when the Rangers practiced at MSG before the Caps, it was all in an attempt to accommodate the media and not to throw off the Caps schedule?

Jory, is quite the outlier. I just told a co-worker that nobody moves to Pittsburgh. Luckily for me he didnt shut me up by bringing up this Jory guy's situation

Posted by: makplan20002 | May 4, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Dan, if you see this guy, can you please whoop that trick?

Posted by: makplan20002 | May 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Our Practice Facility is nicer then their Arena. Damn does anyone it that organization not whine about something.

Here is some cheeeeeeese for all the whine!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

how much did Crybaby Crosby pay this writer to complain about the soda fountain? seriously...who complains about not getting free soda?

Posted by: GoCaps08 | May 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Game on!

Posted by: diane918 | May 4, 2009 1:42 PM

Sure, take this quote out of context and you can find a way to spin it to suit yourself. In the real world, Ovie was asked what he thought about he and his teammates hitting the post several times. He then stated that Varlamov played well, Fleury played well, and (in typical Ovie humor) "post played well."

But if you want to quote out of context, it certainly wouldn't be the first time nor the last.

Though what any of this has to do with a Pittsburgh sports reporter whining about a lack of free soda, I can't figure out.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

As a proud Maryland native, I have here a list of our enemy cities and states:

New Jersey
Virginia
West Virginia
Philadelphia
Amish Country
Pittsburgh

Jory Rand may once have been from Maryland, and may have gotten a Maryland education that now allows him/her (I don't know what gender Jory indicates) to write for a Pittsburgh newspaper. There is no crime in any of that. However, enthusiastically embracing any of the above list of places results in instant Maryland excommunication. This means a lifetime of inferior crab dinners and children who are inept at lacrosse. Mr./Ms. Rand is also barred from the sleazy, cheap, questionable fun you can have in Baltimore and Ocean City. I'm not a scholar, but I believe an attempt to enter Annapolis by the excommunicated results in being tarred and feathered.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This guy can't be serious. I had to post a comment on the dude's blog. This has to be a joke, right?

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

wah waah. by the way i heard that the fans that sat behind us with the ov swallows semin poster on saturday got pwned on the steps of the potrait museum for trying to taunt the rest of the fans. stupid is as stupid does.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As a proud Maryland native, I have here a list of our enemy cities and states:
New Jersey
Virginia
West Virginia
Philadelphia
Amish Country
Pittsburgh
Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 4, 2009 2:22 PM |

For this 'war' I will let it slide Chest...

Rocc00 - resident of the old dominion.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

burnside is whining about the separate practices now on espn.com too in the playoff blog. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=09cupplayoffsblog

Posted by: sirbobalew | May 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe two outlets are actually complaining about the teams practicing 15 minutes apart.

Posted by: sitruc | May 4, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

As someone very familiar with the University of Maryland's ice hockey program, I find it interesting Mr. Rand claims that he:

"was a two-time All-Conference player at the University of Maryland, winning 2 ACC Championships along the way!"

Considering the ACC does not sanction men or women's ice hockey. Now, there is the ACCHL, or Atlantic Coast Collegiate Hockey League, which is comprised primarily of ACC schools but is in absolutely no way affiliated with the ACC. Maryland has moved on since then, anyway, competing in the ECHA with Towson and Villanova, among other schools...does that mean if the Terps win the ECHA, they'd own a CAA Championship?

Posted by: abram | May 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

does that mean if the Terps win the ECHA, they'd own a CAA Championship?

Posted by: abram | May 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

As a CAA alum, I must protest your designation of the amalgam of programs the ECHA represents to be CAA champions. Towson is the only all-sports member with Villanova a football-only affiliate. Confusing us with West Chester and Lehigh? Sir, you must have missed Chest's list of enemies.

Posted by: Josh8 | May 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Really, Chest? Inept at lacrosse if you're from an "enemy combatant" state? Remind me again which school is seeded #1 in the NCAA tourney? Was that UVa? Riiiight. I'm just going to ignore the fact that there are more than twice as many Marylanders on their roster as Virginians. That's pure coincidence...

Posted by: jburksva | May 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed any discussion that mentions ACCHL doesn't mention regular season and tournament champion, Virginia Tech, by name.
:P

Posted by: sitruc | May 5, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Okay, because everything useful has already been posted about Pittsburgh and Whining I feel comfortable commenting about this great line, "their [B]acchanalia odes to excess..." That is hysterical. And certainly not expected in a sports blog. Thanks for the extra laugh.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | May 5, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Another display of weenieness from "Jory" at the end of this post... what the hell kind of name is Jory?

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 5, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

What I can't put a link in a post here? Goff lets me. Waaaaaaaah. ;)

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 5, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse