That Red Sox Series in DC is Gonna Be Fun

I know they've been running these ads forever. I know that the team has been hyping the Red Sox's arrival for months. I know that tickets for sale on eBay say things like "This series is the most sought after group of Nationals games all year. Folks will fly in from all over the country to see the Red Sox play on Nationals home turf for the first time in history."

Still and all, I have to wonder: Exactly what is Susan O'Malley's title inside the Nationals front office? Will Nationals Park on June 24 be the most insufferable place in the universe? And how will fans know whose turn it is to sing Sweet Caroline when it comes over the PA system. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Here's another question: when that anti-steroid sheriff from Florida issued a statement about how his suspect fingered players on "the DC Nationals baseball team," was he actively trying to hurt the Nationals' brand awareness, or was he merely confused by the DC cap?

And here's another question: Sure, this is a bang-bang play. Sure, neither Monday night nor last night's games were decided by one run. But still, is there a rule that every single 50-50 call in this series must be decided in the Mets' favor? (That's Josh Bard, by the way. And he sure looked safe to me.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 27, 2009; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Welcome to the Spelling Bee
Next: Marchers Descend on Spelling Bee

Comments

When I think of Fenway, I think of "Dirty Water". When I think of dirty water, I think of the Anacostia.

Posted by: rdpinva | May 27, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

+1 for the Susan O'Malley dig.

Posted by: truthaboutit | May 27, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting fun fact... the last time the Red Sox played in Washington:

September 19, 1971
Red Sox 4 (80-74)
Senators 3 (60-90)

Robert F. Kennedy Stadium
Attendance: 4,834
(Hmmm, where were all the Red Sox fans??? They didn't even turn up to see Teddy Ballgame manage the Senators? Oh right, they didn't exist until 2004)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I blame the Lerners. They're making Snyderatto seem competent.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"And how will fans know whose turn it is to sing Sweet Caroline when it comes over the PA system. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh."

Maybe Stan Kasten can lead everyone in a rousing late inning rendition?

Seriously, I think the Nats have finally budged and stopped playing it during games. Though I did hear it about 20 minutes before the Orioles game on Sunday. I bet they bring it back for the 35,000 Red Sox poseurs next month.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the Bosox played two exhibitions at RFK vs. Baltimore in April 1991, when D.C. was bidding for a National League expansion franchise. Those were the first games in 19 years in which RFK had an honest-to-goodness baseball configuration; no "Luke Appling" homers were hit that weekend.

As for this time around, I fear it's going to be embarrassing, as all the insufferable yuppie D.C. fans of the New England Evil Empire, Ivy League degrees in hand, take over Nationals Park. We "townies" are going to be shown up, I fear (although the Nats can't beat the Red Sox on the field, they can win some local respect with a brushback pitch or two).

Please, Stan Kasten, I beseech you: publicly announce before the series that "Sweet Caroline" will no longer be played at Nats Park, ever. (It makes you wonder, despite all the calls for its elimination, whether the Lerners -- the people who would have the last say on the matter -- are secretly Bosox fans, heaven forbid.) Ditch "Caroline" for good, Stan, and I promise not to complain about Clint anymore.

Posted by: VPaterno | May 27, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"I blame the Lerners. They're making Snyderatto seem competent."

That is unpossible.