Wale On the Caps, Ratings, Hat Night
* Above, see Wale talking Caps on First Take. Waiting for First Take to do their Death Thrash Metal Bands Love the Caps piece.
* Also, it's to my eternal discredit that I never mentioned the big fly in the second-round playoff ointment was a Yanni show at the Mellon Center. Terrific.
* Whoa, Jessica Alba subtly endorses D.C. United.
* Also, some ratings news. Game 3 on Versus had an audience of 1.49 million, up 23 percent from Game 2, making it the most-watched second-round non-broadcast came since '02, according to Sports Business Journal. And here I figured American Idol's travesterial removal of Allison would have taken away some viewers. Game 2 drew some massive ratings as well, though the difference between Pittsburgh and D.C. was staggering: 16.1 in Pittsburgh and 5.3 in D.C. (Puck the Media)
* A media member pointed out that Pens-Caps is sort of a referendum on which city will have to turn its pained eyes toward a pockmarked baseball diamond first. The Nats have the worst record in the majors, but the Pirates have MLB's worst mark over the past 10 games.
* The Onion dissects Ovechkin.
* I should note that I'm no longer in Pittsburgh. I will, however, be in the Verizon Center tomorrow. So will large numbers of hats.
You probably have seen the comments around these parts urging fans to bring hats. Those are being left by Margaret and Molly, the two Caps fans responsible for the 500 regular-season pacifiers distributed in Sidney Crosby's honor. They wanted to bring pre-printed hats themselves, but ran into logistical difficulties, so instead they're bringing stickers to be placed on fans' preexisting hats. Molly writes:
In response to Crosby's complaints about fans throwing what he thought were too many hats onto the ice after Ovechkin's game 2 hat trick, stickers will be handed out at the Capitals' next home game. Fans are encouraged to bring Capitals baseball hats, or red hats, or hats of any kind, so that the stickers can be placed on the hats. The stickers will read "Crosby says: Don't Throw Me." They will keep with the whining theme that Crosby has so graciously brought up again, and will also have a picture of a pacifier on them.
* And one more thing: it was a lot more fun trying to work up faux-local-homer-animosity against Cleveland. Still is, as Truth About It notes. Ah, memories.
May 8, 2009; 2:57 PM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Media , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Two Nights, Two Cities, Two Games: The Video
Next: Ovechkin: "Next Game is Gonna Be Different"
Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: MarylanDChris | May 8, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: VTDuffman | May 8, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bulldog23 | May 8, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: NovaCath | May 8, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Section117 | May 8, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: CPortisRun | May 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: CPortisRun | May 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: suzannepdc | May 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Section117 | May 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rachel216 | May 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rachel216 | May 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: nowgoal | May 8, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: nbonaddio | May 9, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ruce226 | May 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: griff2311 | May 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: poguesmahone | May 10, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.