Wale On the Caps, Ratings, Hat Night

Wale on First Take from Elitaste on Vimeo.

* Above, see Wale talking Caps on First Take. Waiting for First Take to do their Death Thrash Metal Bands Love the Caps piece.

* Also, it's to my eternal discredit that I never mentioned the big fly in the second-round playoff ointment was a Yanni show at the Mellon Center. Terrific.

* Whoa, Jessica Alba subtly endorses D.C. United.

* Also, some ratings news. Game 3 on Versus had an audience of 1.49 million, up 23 percent from Game 2, making it the most-watched second-round non-broadcast came since '02, according to Sports Business Journal. And here I figured American Idol's travesterial removal of Allison would have taken away some viewers. Game 2 drew some massive ratings as well, though the difference between Pittsburgh and D.C. was staggering: 16.1 in Pittsburgh and 5.3 in D.C. (Puck the Media)

* A media member pointed out that Pens-Caps is sort of a referendum on which city will have to turn its pained eyes toward a pockmarked baseball diamond first. The Nats have the worst record in the majors, but the Pirates have MLB's worst mark over the past 10 games.

* The Onion dissects Ovechkin.

* A CBC producer says there was no "malicious intent" behind their point-by-point dissection of the Keys to Victory footage. (Via Puck Daddy)

* I should note that I'm no longer in Pittsburgh. I will, however, be in the Verizon Center tomorrow. So will large numbers of hats.

You probably have seen the comments around these parts urging fans to bring hats. Those are being left by Margaret and Molly, the two Caps fans responsible for the 500 regular-season pacifiers distributed in Sidney Crosby's honor. They wanted to bring pre-printed hats themselves, but ran into logistical difficulties, so instead they're bringing stickers to be placed on fans' preexisting hats. Molly writes:

In response to Crosby's complaints about fans throwing what he thought were too many hats onto the ice after Ovechkin's game 2 hat trick, stickers will be handed out at the Capitals' next home game. Fans are encouraged to bring Capitals baseball hats, or red hats, or hats of any kind, so that the stickers can be placed on the hats. The stickers will read "Crosby says: Don't Throw Me." They will keep with the whining theme that Crosby has so graciously brought up again, and will also have a picture of a pacifier on them.

* And one more thing: it was a lot more fun trying to work up faux-local-homer-animosity against Cleveland. Still is, as Truth About It notes. Ah, memories.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 8, 2009; 2:57 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two Nights, Two Cities, Two Games: The Video
Next: Ovechkin: "Next Game is Gonna Be Different"

Comments

Anyone who actually heard Crosby's statement knows he was joking about the hats. But feel free to waste your money on the stickers, honey.

And as for all the Caps fans ragging on the whiteout--it's a Pens tradition from back when the NHL wore home whites (look it up). Most fans in Pittsburgh have the black home sweaters, some the blue thirds. Even when on the road, I never see Caps fans in the white away jerseys. So if Ted wanted to do a "whiteout," they'd have to give out shirts as well. Get over it.

With all the whining and moaning I hear from D.C. these days about (1) the officials, (2) the ice, (3) Pittsburgh fans, and (4) the media, it sure seems like the Caps players, coaches, and fanbase are a bit scared right now.

Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

...which reminds me. If you've still got your pacifiers from last year, could you please loan them to Boudreau and friends? That may keep them from whining for a little while.

Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dan mentioning the Wizards... yawners.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | May 8, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone who actually heard Crosby's statement knows he was joking about the hats."

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 8, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I want to see 10,000 hats on the ice for Crysbaby's first shift.

Posted by: bulldog23 | May 8, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The Caps used to do whiteouts during the playoffs, but they wore the white home jerseys then. Their home jersey is now red so they do the redouts. If the Pens had done a black, gold or baby blue out (DC United does blackouts) it would make sense, but a whiteout when the opposing team is wearing white?

Posted by: NovaCath | May 8, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Doc, you're a good man and I see you on Japers quite a bit, but trust me, there's a disconnect between there and here.

Posted by: Section117 | May 8, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@section117

I suppose I'm just a bit tired of the nonsense here. Frankly, I've got a lot more respect for J.P., DMG and the crew at Japers' than I do for this place. Reading the "Bog," I hear what I expect to hear from total homers. That's fine on a fan site--but a WaPo site repeating Leonsis talking points and Boudreau whines? Jeez...

Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:19 PM |

Wow. Time for a reality check in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: docciavelli | May 8, 2009 3:47 PM |

Buh buh. Don't trip over your ego on the way out.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder, this is the WASHINGTON Post website, discussing the WASHINGTON Capitals.

Carry on...

Posted by: suzannepdc | May 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Buh buh. Don't trip over your ego on the way out.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Go back to spelling Cindy Crysby in various creative ways jag.

Posted by: Section117 | May 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL!! See, it's so pathetic that even Pens fans themselves can't believe it. It was completely not a joke, when he said it he was absolutely being serious. Why the heck would Sidney joke about such a thing? He said "I just asked them to make some sort of announcement to stop throwing the hats because they picked up the first wave of them but then came another wave."

Sigh.... idiot Pens fan. Sidney would not just say something like that unless he really meant it. It would make him look stupid. But it's okay, you just don't want to believe it.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I mean, trust me, when I first saw the headlines "Crosby upset by hats," I didn't even believe it!!! I seriously laughed out loud!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

West Ham United(H) VS Liverpool

Willhill 6.00 3.40 1.50
6.00 4.00 1.53

In those recent matches, Liverpool were playing pretty well, for they need to get 1st position in the league. What's more, with Gerrard's recovery, Liverpool can get 3 points in this matches without much effort.

West Ham need to save their 7th position, but they scored only one goal in the recent matches verses those four top teams.

For more, please visit here:

Posted by: nowgoal | May 8, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Seems easy enough. They are 3x the fan base we are. What can you say? Their ratings own us.

Posted by: nbonaddio | May 9, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Molly, don't waste your money honey.

Where are all the Caps fans?

DC Metro Area population: 5.3 million
PGH Metro Area population: 2.4 million

Can someone explain the ratings disparity here? Are the Caps a hard sell for the folks of DC?

Posted by: ruce226 | May 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@NovaCath

Here is the logic you fail to see.

Whats the Mellon Arena's nickname?

The Igloo.

What are Igloo's made of?

Snow and Ice.

What color is snow any ice?

White.

Seems ok to me.

O and please spend your energy on rooting against Crosby. He has already blown up in the series and the added hate gets him just that bit more motivated. I have never seen someone inspired by negative energy like he.

Posted by: griff2311 | May 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the Pissburgh fan is lying. Anyone who saw Crosby's comments can see that he was SERIOUS about going to the official about the hats. He's a diva to the highest degree

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 10, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse