What Caps Fans Looked Like, Game 2

I'm not sure what it is about Saturday afternoon vs. Monday evening, but the fans sure create a lot more photos on the latter occasion. In this case, Caps fans showed many of their zig-zaggy sides. A selection. Most of the names are vanished, due to a misplaced notebook.

We'll start above, which shows that Caps fans are attuned to current events. This couple slipped on their Swine Flu masks as they entered the arena, and earned plenty of stares, even more so when fans realized the masks carried taunting messages about Crosby and Malkin. More below.

While this is slightly less current, it's still a pleasing mix of Che imagery, an Obamicon and a Tom Green slogan. Bizarre, anyhow, and classic Washington.

And it goes without saying that Caps fans are fascinated by Russian iconography. There are dozens and dozens of Russian national jerseys on the fans, and a certain WJFK host this morning was raving about the Russkies on the Fedorov-Semin-Ovechkin line. Not a line I've seen much of in recent days, but if you've seen one all-Russian line you've seen them all.

This being a sporting event, Caps fans are focused on hair designs. This young chap was already looking plenty fierce, although later in the night the hair was whipped up into a nasty red mohawk. Well done, friend.

Speaking of hair, Caps fans are....weird? The man with the 8 in his hair actually had it shaved by a Penguins fan, who pointed out that he could have easily added a 7 without the Caps fan noticing. Perhaps. Also, the Caps fan has to attend his grandmother's birthday party, but he's promised to keep the 8 in his hair until the end of this playoff run, so he'll be going to grandma's party in a business suit and a ridiculous haircut. As for the red suit, yup, that's red.

Caps fans are shirtless. Next.

And also, Caps fans will wear just about anything in public. And do it proudly, too. Amazing.

Finally, in an unrelated note, it would appear the team has a new beat writer. Combination scribbler and enforcer.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 5, 2009; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Just A Regular Joe
Next: Caron's First Pitch, Take Two [UPDATED]

Comments

Haha, ok, El Brashear it is!

Posted by: VladG | May 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I am in complete awe of the creativity and excitement this team has brought out in the DC sports fan base. If fans of the Nationals would display even a quarter of this creativity at games then a 7-17 record would not only be somewhat easier to swallow, but be kind of fun as well.

Posted by: DangerNat | May 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Sadly you missed the trashy Pens girl with black Pens t-shirt, tiered white mini-skirt, tall white high-heeled granny type boots with hockey socks that went to her thighs (it was the socks that really pulled it all together). I don't think it was a costume.

Posted by: goaldigger | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Nothing says class like an attractive young woman in an "I heart Semin" shirt. Good for her boyfriend, though.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | May 5, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I had been wondering if the Deon Sanders burgundy suit was available. http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2000/1003/photo/a_sanders_i.jpg

Love that someone actually had a red suit at the game.

Posted by: boywaja | May 5, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Man I wish I didn't have a job where appearance was important. I would totally have a mohawk possibly with a design in it. And I have red hair, so I'm always rockin the red. We all know I have no problem being a public spectacle...

Posted by: TheRealDuffman | May 5, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I saw her, too! Saw her in the restroom. Came back to my seat and had to tell the guys I sit with "You won't believe what I just saw in the bathroom...."

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I'll take a little bit of that "UN" ... to go! ;-)

Posted by: dupa3 | May 6, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, I *so* need to get my fiancee an "I heart Semin" shirt. I bet she'd wear it, she's a good sport.

Love the swine flu masks, but can't help but feel that they missed a prime opportunity to say they are protecting themselves from Crosby's "Whine Flu."

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse