Zorn on the Caps Kiss Cam (Video)

For dozens of reasons, last night was a game to remember for a long, long time. Most of the reasons had to do with hockey. A few didn't. Jim Zorn being grabbed down into a kiss by his wife while sitting at the glass holding two water bottles is fairly high-value entertainment, for example. (Great photo here, thanks to the Caps for the video.)

As for the hockey, Zorn--who sat with Danny Smith and his wife, and visited between periods with Vinny Cerrato and Flip Saunders--heartily approved.

"Oh, this is very very exciting," Zorn said. "You know, when I was in Detroit, my wife and I and our kids used to always go to Red Wings games, and I like to skate myself. I wasn't a hockey player, but I really enjoy the game. It's very fast, I love the contact and I'm just having a great time. I've never been able to sit where we're sitting, as far as being right down on that glass. That's pretty neat. It's, um, intense." (Much more on his hockey and skating history on The Redskins Blog.)

He later elaborated, when speaking with CSN's Carol Maloney.

"It's loud in here," Zorn observed. "I didn't realize how intense it would be, and I see it's doubly intense right down on the ice, so I'm privileged just to be a part of the fanfare, no question."

She asked whether he was pounding on the glass; "Oh, I've pounded on it, oh yeah," Zorn said. "And it's pounded back at me, too, with some guys running into it."

Ravens Coach John Harbaugh was also at the game, and like Zorn, he was greeted with a mixture of cheers and boos, but probably more boos.

"The neat thing was before the game the crowd was going crazy, the energy was alive, and I didn't feel one bit nervous," Harbaugh told CSN. "That was kind of neat, for a change."

Zorn signed about 18,000 autographs, shook about 36,000 hands, heard at least 100 "Good Luck Coach!" greetings and was stopped by a security guard while trying to go visit friends in a 300-level suite. I tried to explain he was kind of a big deal, but the guard had a job to do. Finally, after the friend in the suite emerged, Zorn was cleared.

"Are you a Redskins fan?" Zorn asked the guard with a smile. "I'm Jim Zorn. Head coach. You're doing a good job."

The guard shook his hand, and explained that rules are rules. Fair enough. I asked him whether he can share a fan's passion.

"I love the competition, but, I mean, I'm in it," he explained. "So I don't have the passion of the fans, I have the passion of coaching and playing, you know what I mean? I'm having a great time. I get intense [while cheering], but I'm not trying to go backstage either, do you know what I mean? I'm out there enjoying the game."

And cheering for which team?

"I'm cheering for the Capitals," he said. "You know, when we moved back to Weattle Seattle, they didn't have a team, so when we coached for Seattle for seven years we used to always follow the Red Wings. My son's got Red Wings jerseys. He is ripping me tonight because I did not bring him to this game."

But the coach did his part, standing and cheering for quite a long time after the Ovie hat trick, just like most of the people in the joint. I didn't have a chance to chat with Saunders, but I did see him walking around the concourse and then up a weirdly dark staircase with his cell phone attached to his ear. See below. As for Zorn, he rocked the red with his shirt, and also with his knee-high red socks, pictured here. Seriously. I'm telling you, it was a good night.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 5, 2009; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 2 Memories: The Crosby Taunters
Next: Just A Regular Joe

Comments

Simply stated, that video is hilarious. Cool dude.

Posted by: kikinguyen616 | May 5, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

DC Coaching MO's for the Skins and Nats are identical. They may not be the most beloved coachs when they are on the sideline but off the sidelines how can you not like Zorn and Acta.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 5, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually a bit surprised Dan Snyder allows Jim and Vinny to go to other local teams sporting events.

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | May 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | May 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

He probably says to them after the game " I WANT THAT NOW!" ah la the rich girl in charlie and the chocolate factory.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 5, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Too cool! I am loving the fans for the Caps I think more than anything. This should show all of those sports pundits that DC can get behind its teams.

Posted by: ivyleague | May 5, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree ivyleague! The Caps fans have been unbelievably supportive and it's awesome to watch on t.v.

That's great that Zorn and even Harbaugh were Rockin the Red! How very Zorny of him to have bottled waters in his hands! Love the Zornster!

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | May 5, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

LOVE to see Zorn on the kiss-cam!! (And I love his wife's expression when she realized what she needed to do!)

My fiance was trying to tell me that I was the only person who wanted to see a shot of Zorn on the televised game - apparently not true!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | May 5, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Weattle sucks. His son will never let him forget that he didn't bring him to the game.

Posted by: sitruc | May 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

DC is not a front running town.
We're just smart with our $'s
When they put a quality product on the field ppl go & support. Simple.

We're not like Sucksburg where there isn't anything to do except drink & watch sports.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"we're not like Sucksburg where there isn't anything to do except drink and watch sports"

What else is there? that's what life's about man!

Posted by: bbachrac | May 5, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

So John Harbaugh (coach of the Baltimore Ravens) was also there. He was wearing RED!!! WHOO!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 5, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Even Flip Saunders?? Man, everyone wants to be at Caps game. That's the place to be!! Could anyone fault me for wanting to lose one game in PIT to have a game 5?? (as much as i would love to sweep.)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What else is there? that's what life's about man!

Posted by: bbachrac | May 5, 2009 2:19 PM |

White people - me no get.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 5, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Was that the same staircase GMGM was infamously spotted in?

Posted by: capsfan83 | May 5, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse