DCU Items: Fractured Teeth, Redskins Dislike

How you fracture your teeth. (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Because I know you wanted these questions answered.....

Bryan Namoff tweeted that he has fractured teeth. What does that mean?

"I fractured the bones holding my teeth in place," Namoff told me. "They're hanging on by threads."

Too many elbows over the years, he said. Too much sticking out his into teeth-rattling spots. "I seem to be the only one," he added. "I guess I put my face in the worst areas for people to latch on to."

But those are the spots where heads need to be placed. So he's had root canals and all that, but eventually will need implants. And the real-world implications? They're grim, by my way of thinking, especially for someone with the refined tastes of a Namoff.

"Well, I can't bite into an apple," he said. "Like, I'd love to take a bite of one of those hard-crusted French baguettes. No chance. I've sort of gotten used to it."

Athletes make all sorts of sacrifices in pursuit of their chosen profession; many are trivial, and some are severe. But I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything worse than a life without apples and crusty bread. So next time you eat either of those foods, take a moment to think of those who have fractured their teeth for your sporting entertainment.

Santino Quaranta is from Baltimore. How should that affect your view of him?

"I don't like the Redskins," he told me. "I'm from Baltimore, man. I'm not a Redskins fan. I play here for a living, but I'm from Baltimore. I just don't like [the Redskins'] style. They don't do it for me at all, man. It just seems like in Baltimore, it's just instilled in us. [The Ravens] work hard, never any [nonsense], they get down to it and they try to win. Here, it's always something. You know what I mean, the owner trying to get new quarterbacks...."

(Note: All this was said in good humor, and I wouldn't expect a Baltimore native to cheer for the Redskins. Just joking, folks.)

So, fair enough. D.C. fans can be understanding. He's got to represent his city and all. But at least in baseball, a few of us will understand where he's coming from, right?

"I'm a Yankees fan," he said. Dagger. Ok, the NBA?

"Not a Wizards fan either, bro," he said. Double dagger.

Ok, anything? Some token nod to the all-sports D.C. fans among us?

"I like the Capitals, I do," Quaranta said. "I like their brand. When they're on the ice, they're hard working, fun to watch. The Redskins, you never know what you're gonna get. With the Capitals, I know what I'm gonna get when I'm watching them."

In the interest of preserving community-team relations, I will withhold the quotes about how Quaranta thinks D.C. is too much of a transient place, and how he's proud that a few teammates have started to embrace Baltimore, with Louis Crayton even moving there.

There are plenty of stories about the decline of RFK, and the need for a newer stadium. Everyone knows that to be true. But is there anything to still cherish about the old joint?

"The nice thing about playing here is there's so many memories that have gone on here," Namoff said. "It's more of a sacred place to play, based on the history, whereas these new stadiums, they still need to make that type of history. I mean, that's the one positive, which is why it's so good to play here."

"I like RFK personally, that's me, I like it," Quaranta said. "I don't know man, it just has so much history. As old as it is, and as nice as the other new stadiums are, you feel like it's a home."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 10, 2009; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Draft Day Images
Next: WCAC Redskins Despise the Cowboys

Comments

Kind of like all the crap a$$ Cowboys fans in the area!

Posted by: mburns134 | June 10, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

A Yankees fan? Born and raised in Baltimore and a Yankees fan? Seriously?

He should be forced to turn in his Bmore card and move to PG County to hang out with all the lifelong Cowboys fans from Upper Marlboro.

Posted by: gocaps2 | June 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Transient. Kinda like a guy who, I dunno, moves to LA, flips off the fans of his original team, in their own house (a house he now tells me he thinks of as home), when his new buddy Landycakes scores, and comes back later begging forgiveness. Kinda like that?

I root for the shirt, but Tino ain't forgiven. Hat-trick against the Gals and take a red card for assaulting Landycakes? Sure, I'll forgive. Until then? He's just a guy in the right shirt.

Posted by: Landru | June 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone from Baltimore a recovering drug addict?

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | June 10, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

f this doosh Quaranta he sucks and so does b-more

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 10, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

f the doosh jonthefisherman. the only thing great about DC is United. Everything else? Meh...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Namoff has fractured teeth? That's what he gets for catching the stadium when it falls down.

Posted by: JamesDougan | June 11, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Man, these Baltimore guys really do have an inferiority complex when it comes to DC don't they?

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 11, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

What? He's from Baltimore and he prefers the Baltimore football team to the D.C. one? And shows his primary loyalty to his hometown? OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!!111

Some people get worked up about the weakest things.

And anyway, he's right. DC *is* too much of a transient place. And as long as Dan Snyder owns the Redskins, it's hard to take them seriously.

Oh, and Landru: he didn't "flip off the fans." I was as close as anyone could be to the now-fabled incident without playing for either the Galaxy or DCU, and I saw no birds. Mock the fans, yes he did; flip the fans off, no. That whole match has entered the realm of myth now -- I know people who insisted he grabbed his junk after scoring on us in that match -- he neither grabbed his junk nor scored. It's like people who insist they saw with their own eyes the Johnny Carson/Racquel Welch/cat-in-lap event. It didn't happen.

Of course, at some level, it's irrelevant -- the specific gesture isn't as important as what he did, and he *did* mock the fans by making the "whoop it up gesture" running across the front of 136, 135, and part of 134 when Alan Gordon scored in the fourth minute. And I certainly can't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't forgive. But we know things now about where he was at the time that we didn't know then, and we think and hope he's in a different place these days. He's certainly said and done the right things -- hell, he's been more committed to DCU now than he was during his first time here. And if that's not enough to earn a second chance, oh well.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Christopher Metzler: I was there too, on loud side, near midfield. Please forgive my loose construction. I wouldn't testify to a specific gesture, though it's true that my exact choice of phrase gives a different impression. Sorry.

And he didn't mock us only on the Gordon goal. You will likely recall that dissent over Mr. Donovan's existence exceeded the norm even for RFK that day, and Mr. Donovan did there what he had not been able to do in a USA shirt. Tino was just a tad overexuberant about that, too.

As you say, the specific physical gesture isn't important. The metaphor works perfectly well as a descriptor of what he did.

That spewed, no dispute at all on the mythic quality of the thing.

Not to quibble (so yeah, I could just not quibble, but somehow that doesn't work for me at the moment), but as I said, I root for the shirt. Tino's second chance isn't my choice, but he's there and I don't control player personnel. That's different from me personally forgiving him. Me personally forgiving him is different from you personally forgiving him, and if you forgive him, good on you. I'm not there yet.

Quaranta's had some lovely moments since his return--and fewer truly unlovely moments than he had in his first DCU gig. I'm well aware of the circumstances surrounding his past playing performance--who wouldn't be? And of course I hope anyone in that circumstance gets healthy, as he certainly appears to have done. It's also worth remembering that in his first DCU gig, he was the youngest DCU player ever (until Freddy Adu showed up).

If I ran into the guy I'd shake his hand and thank him for a couple of very pretty goals and for being one of the team who runs his butt off for 90 minutes almost every single game. I applaud his effort at each and every home game in which he takes the field, standing in the same place I stood That Day.

But his behavior That Day was a personal, public, and callous insult to everyone who supported him in his first DC gig. I'm not at forgiveness yet. If that makes me a crappy person, oh well.

Posted by: Landru | June 11, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse