Haywood on Steph Curry, Drunk Driving, Obama

Brendan Haywood was on Dan Patrick's radio show last week, talking about his own blog and other topics. Highlights will appear in tomorrow's edition of SI; you can read a bit more on the Dan Patrick Show's blog, which also has the audio. The peg was what Haywood had written about Donte Stallworth's sentencing, expressing disbelief that Mike Vick's punishment was harsher, but this being Haywood, there were plenty of other interesting nuggets.

On his passion about drunk driving: "This year I was hit by a drunk driver. My mom was in the car....We were just going over the Anacostia Bridge, man, and a drunk driver came out of nowhere, hit us in the back, spun us out, hit the side thing on the bridge, and bounced back, spun around in traffic. It was crazy, it was very scary, and it was just due to one person's negligence and somebody thinking that their right to have a good time was more important than our lives."

On any injuries: "The Lord was there, so no one was hurt. The car was hurt, but the Lord was there, so no one was hurt....I'm not condoning dog fighting, I feel a crime is a crime, but I'm just saying when did the lives of animals become more important than the lives of people?"

On visiting the White House: "I drive by the White House every day, I look at it man, but I have not actually been to the White House. I see D-Wade got the invite, the Bulls got a chance to come by. Man, Obama, you got to have the Wizards to the White House, man, we all want to meet you and go see the White House."

On how Gilbert would react to Steph Curry: "Gilbert wouldn't care. A lot of the stuff with Gilbert Arenas is all smoke and mirrors. A lot of people think that he's this weird type of guy. Gilbert Arenas is crazy like a fox, and he knows everything he's doing, and he would love to have Stephen Curry on the team. Because a guy that can catch and shoot opens up space for Gilbert Arenas, and he knows that."

On whom he'd take between Curry and Ty Lawson: "I'd have to go with the Carolina guy, I'd have to go with Ty Lawson. Just because with the injuries to Gilbet Arenas, I realized how important it is to have somebody that gets down that lane and distributes to teammates, guys like myself, Jamison, Caron Bulter. When Gilbert left, we kind of missed that last year, that distributor, and Ty Lawson is a great distributor, and I I know that if something happened to Gil, we would need that. So I'd say Ty Lawson."

On whether he runs his blogs by the Wiz: "Nah, I don't. have you seen some of Gilbert Arenas's blogs? Obviously not. Gil will write about anything, so obviously there's no censorship, even though I did get some calls that some people were a little offended that I was saying stuff about Vick and this and that. Like I said, I'm saying this right now on the Dan Patrick Show: I don't condone dog fighting. I do condone second chances. On my blog, I said Vick deserves a second chance....I believe that once you lose your hundred-million dollar contract and you spend two years in jail, I believe that's enough. That's just my opinion, though."

On how he would respond if the team wanted to vet his entries: "I wouldn't like it, but they're my employer, so I'd have to give it some serious thought. At the end of the day, when you work for a company, you have to go by the company's rules....It would seem like censorship and something silly, especially because I'm not saying everybody should go fight dogs. No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that's a hideous crime and he should have been punished, but at the same time he deserves a second chance. If drug dealers get second chances, if rapists can get out of jail, Mike Vick should get a chance to get out of jail and pursue a football career."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 23, 2009; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video of Ovechkin Lifting TV Host
Next: Romo, Tiger, Jason Campbell at Congressional

Comments

Mr. TallandDopey: On any injuries: "The Lord was there, so no one was hurt.

Oi. So, I guess the lord was with some, but not all people on the red line yesterday? What a maroon.

Posted by: popopo | June 23, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

By Dan Steinberg | June 23, 2009; 2:03 PM ET

Amen. Vick has paid a steeper price than anyone in the history of dog fighting. Almost infinitely steeper.

I hope he resumes his NFL career and gets back to being that highlight reel QB we used to enjoy watching.

As for Haywood, he's one of the most intelligent guys in the NBA and is always a good quote. He has a bright future in tv after his playing days are over.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 23, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Mr. TallandDopey: On any injuries: "The Lord was there, so no one was hurt.

Posted by: popopo | June 23, 2009 2:43 PM |

Bashing someone for their religious beliefs...what a classy guy you must be.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No you are the moron! God WAS with the people on the Red Line.Even those who died. It could have been much, much worse except for HIS grace and mercy. Ask some of those who did not die where was God and I am sure they will tell you that his grace was with them. If you want to know about God, read THE SHACK. Then you will understand Haywood's reference.

Haywood rocks!

Posted by: ivyleague | June 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Popopo what you wrote was in poor taste. I know the Lord is with you even when you write underhanded comments about someones elses beliefs. I pray you have an encounter with God that changes your attitudes and life. Be well...

Posted by: Berndaddy | June 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Haywood my man. I would hope your UNC education would allow you to dig a little deeper in your Vick/Stallworth analysis.

The difference was that Stallworth was cooperative, extremely contrite, and the family was involved and signed off on the agreed punishment/civil settlement. Vick was arrogant, lied to investigators/FEDS, tried to cover up his misdeeds, and never really seemed sincerely contrite. Had Vick cooperated and not lied he probably would have never seen a jail cell. You don't lie to the FEDS and get off lightly!!!

So, it's not as simple as comparing the life of a man vs a dog.

You can do better Haywood!

Posted by: rphilli721 | June 23, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Look, I should not have even brought up the red line tragedy. Definitely my mistake.

My point was that Haywood indicates that no one was hurt in his wreck because the lord was there. By saying that, he indicates that the lord is not around when people do get hurt. Words have meaning. His words were dumb.

And Ivyleague, it's "maroon", not "moron" (bugs bunny is the best). Outstanding that you called me one and went on to quote about God...and His this and that - pretty good christian.

Posted by: popopo | June 23, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@rphilli721... good point. Lying to the feds always brings graver consequences. I agree with BH that human life is more valuable than an animal's life. I think his point is that the consequences should be harsher for those who put human life in danger than those who put animal life in danger. Regarding the comments by popopo, when someone doesn't believe in God and has not experienced God at a personal level there is nothing we can say to convince him otherwise. No need for name calling etc. Clearly, BH is a Christian at some level and believes in God's involvement in this life. His own mother was in the car with him. I think it is a very natural sentiment for him to "thank God" that they were safe. Whether he says "God was there" is irrelevant. At all levels when someone says "thank God" they are acknowledging God's involvement...

Posted by: Samuraise | June 23, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

It's obvious, popopo has little or no understanding of Christianity, religion, or one's belief in God. Don't feed the troll who doesn't know the difference between a color and an insult.

Posted by: sitruc | June 24, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

BH - "The car was hurt, but the Lord was there, so no one was hurt."

Call me troll all you want, it's just you being lazy. I make a valid point and no one can step up and address it. Enlighten me then. Tell me where I'm wrong about it. Specifically. Not vague references to one's beliefs.

And sitruc, maroon IS an insult (as well as a color). You must not know your bugs bunny. See urban dictionary

Posted by: popopo | June 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse