John Kerry Needs to Go to More Nats Games

By popular demand, here is the vast majority of the dialogue between John Kerry and Debbi Taylor on MASN, from Kerry's visit to Nats Park last week. I'm not sure there's much to say about this, other than John Kerry clearly should get himself to Half Street a bit more often. Or start reading Let Teddy Win. Or leave his house.

Taylor: A lot of political flavor here at the ballpark, and I'm joined by Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, and just tell us what you think of this ballpark so far.

Kerry: Well. it's a beautiful ballpark. It's even better because the Red Sox are winning, but other than that, it's a great ballpark. I mean, obviously none of us think that anything compares to Fenway, and we happen to be very partial to Wrigley Field. But this is a gorgeous ballpark, beautifully done, easy to move through, it's in a great location and you can't get a better night than tonight.

Taylor: Were you able to take in the President's race? What did you think of that, the Geico Presidents?

Kerry: I didn't. Which race?

Taylor: They have the presidents, with Teddy Roosevelt and the old-time presidents....

Kerry [baffled]: I haven't been able to take that in. No, I'm sorry. You know, too busy with some of our own real races.

Taylor [still trying]: All right, you have to come back and see it, because it's definitely....

Kerry [retreat!]: No no no, it'll be a lot of fun. But this is fun, and you guys, you know, they beat the Yankees twice in a row, so they're capable of coming up with a top-notch game. We've got to be careful.

That's cool, Senator, no worries. Wait, what's that, you're wondering if I got a glimpse of that large emerald wall the last time I went to Boston? I didn't, which wall? No, I'm sorry. You know, too busy listening to Pink Floyd. But it sounds like fun.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 29, 2009; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Brian Mitchell Strikes Back
Next: Gilbert and Cassell Have a History

Comments

Ah, John "My favorite player is Manny Ortez" Kerry pretending he follows sports. It feels like 2003 all over again.

Posted by: Tank2 | June 29, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that would be a Populism Fail.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 29, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I watched this live and was amazed by it--although I will give him credit for knowing that the Nats had beaten the Yankees two of three the week before...

Posted by: TheFingerman | June 29, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

He's from Mass, the only thing that sports scores that people from there follow is the redsox score box and then the yankee score box, most redsox fans probably could not name another team outside the AL East :). To be fair Redskins fans can be the same way.
It would be nice if we could get a DC politician who was into the local sports scene and went to a bunch of games. Maybe one of the MD/VA guys who would buy season tickets or something.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

btw I don't know why I said Score Box over box score

Posted by: alex35332 | June 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Kerry threw a first pitch that didn't make it to home plate and then blamed catcher - a recently returned veteran. Check the Boston Herald article for more Kerry moments.

Kerry: “My pitch was not spectacular. It was funny. We had this young kid who had just come back from Afghanistan, or Iraq? Iraq. And he’s a young military guy. He was truly quaking. I mean, I went up to him beforehand and I was worried, you know, that anything I threw . . . so I sort of threw this thing easy and it went plunk. That’s the worst thing in the world.“

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"To be fair Redskins fans can be the same way."

This is when I stopped reading

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Shorter answers than I expected...

Posted by: sitruc | June 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

John Kerry - helped ruin America with sh*tty run in '04

Red Sox - helped ruin America with sh*tty run in '04.

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

At least Kerry didn't botch the name of the stadium, as he did when he referred to Lambeau Field as "Lambert."

Nothing will ever top his favorite player comment though (Manny Ortez) not only combining the names of 2 players but botching one of those 2 names.

But aside from those occasional mishaps, Kerry was a real man's man. Just look at the guy playing catch on the campaign trail. So smooth...

Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

The producers had to see this coming. They had a chance to have two of the biggest clusterfreaks in DC talk to each other and they seized it. Nobody expected that to go well, did they? It had the desire result, right?

Posted by: makplan20002 | June 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

And who is this "we" that is partial to Wrigley field? Maybe it was half relevant, but it was clumsy as hell.

Posted by: makplan20002 | June 29, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't like that Sen, Kerry is a partisan of the New England Evil Empire, but at least the 2004 Democratic nominee has been to Nationals Park, which is more than we can say for the 2008 Democratic nominee. Worse, in picking UNC and the Lakers, Obama, while ultimately proven correct, also showed himself to be a bit of a frontrunner. And that's something I'd never expect to see from a White Sox fan (ask Mark Plotkin).

Posted by: VPaterno | June 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Just imagine if the President had picked the wrong teams...

Posted by: sitruc | June 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to hear a reporter ask him about the infield fly rule or the double switch. Regarding the former he'd probably say something long-winded about cap and trade and its potential ameliorative impact on the tenuous insect population; the latter and he'd probably say that the right to privacy is at the very foundation of the Bill of Rights, and that he is working closely with the respected Congressman representing the Great State of MA 4th District to expand the right to marriage for all Americans.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | June 29, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"John Kerry - helped ruin America with sh*tty run in '04

Red Sox - helped ruin America with sh*tty run in '04.

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse "
-------------------
I've often wondered if too many of his field staff were watching the ALCS and WS, as well as Duck Boat parade the Saturday before the election, rather than knocking doors or figuring out just how poorly Blackwell was distributing voting machines in Ohio.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Kerry lost for many reasons:

-he was terribly unlikable
-Swift Boat Veterans for Truth exposes many, many of his Vietnam stories
-the economy was in good shape, with several hundred thousand new jobs being created each month that year
-the country actually cared about the threat of terrorism and wanted to win the Iraq war
-Gay marriage was on the ballot in a ton of states
-the media didn't have a pre-determined candidate they wanted
-9/11 was still fresh on people's minds
-Kerry was viewed as an elitist who married a filthy rich heiress and couldn't relate to the average American
-Bush's popularity was still above 50%

All the above

Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Two dunces.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope my comments didn't make me sound like a right-wing punk. I simply would like to see Presdient Obama attend a Nats game; so far, he seems to be avoiding them like the plague. No one could say that about Nixon or Kennedy while the Senators were here, to make a bipartisan reference.

Posted by: VPaterno | June 29, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that makes you sound "right-wing" at all, VPaterno. I'm a big Obama supporter and Im a bit upset he didn't throw out the first pitch at the home opener and/or attend a game. I think it's a classic thing for a sitting President to do.

Also, whatever he touches turns to gold in this town. Ask Ray's Hell Burger and Ben's. Two successful places that have doubled their business since he popped by. The Nats could REALLY do with that.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this for Obama: When he front-runs, his teams win. You like your President to have that kind of judgment.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | June 29, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse