Manny Acta, Positivity and Patience

(All photos by Cathy Taylor; see more here.)

Sunday night was Manny Acta Bobblehead Night at Shirley Povich Field, hosted by the Bethesda Big Train. I followed him around for two hours and watched. A few observations.

Popularity

"I enjoy you, Manny," Bruce Artim told Acta near the end of one of the longest marathon autograph sessions I've ever viewed. "You're doing a really good job. The players are still playing hard for you. Stick with it. I hope they stick with you."

"I hope so too," Acta said. "I don't want to go anywhere."

"You're doing a heck of a job," Artim continued. "I hope the upstairs people know that."

"I hope so too," Acta cracked. "Thanks for the support."

That's what it was, for two hours. One person after another, praising Acta, shaking hands, sharing quips. I didn't hear any critics. And sure, this was a self-selecting group. You had to go to the game, likely to get an Acta bobblehead. Then you had to wait in line for his autograph. It was the most beautiful night for baseball in world history, at a little fairy tale of a park in North Bethesda. But still:

* "Keep up the good work!" said Eric Yaffe, owner of an Auntie Anne's pretzel franchise, as he handed Manny a cinnamon sugar.

* "Good job, you keep it up!" one of the first fans in line said.

* "I love what you're doing, hope you can stick around," Bryan Stabbe told Acta. "Me too," the manager responded. "I love it here." ("I think it'd be a real shame to lose him," Stabbe later told me.)

* "Hang in there Manny, I think you do a great job....We're rooting for you here, trust me....Beat the Red Sox and the Orioles and it'll make us happy the rest of the year...."....on and on and on and on.

* "Can I have a hug?" asked Mary, a fan who posts online under the name ActaManiac and who was wearing an Acta jersey. "Finally, someone not wearing a Zimmerman jersey," Acta said when he saw her.

Why the hug? Everyone supports the players, she said. She think he's a good person, always positive, always faces the music, always puts on a good face. Plus, she thinks he's hot.

"I couldn't help it, I had to," she said. "He's a great hugger."

Why the love? I mean, this team's record is wretched, almost historically wretched, and fans were congratulating him on a job well done, offering him their very best. Is Manny Acta the most popular manager of a .300 team in Major League history? I asked him.

"These fans have been very supportive from Day 1," he said. "I really do think that they understand what's being done here. Obviously there are people that want to be rebuilding and winning at the same time, which is kind of tough to do. But most of the fans here are supportive and know what we're doing and that we're doing our best, and they've been great and I'm thankful for it. So what can I do? What can I say? I try to treat people the way they treat me, and I guess the fans have responded. Maybe they just like my hat, like you're saying."

Positivity

I only have one setting: bad mood. If someone told me I won a Pulitzer, I'd be ticked off over the pressure to repeat. But not everyone is like that.

Manny's sister, Anayma, was there, helping sell t-shirts to raise money for the ImpACTA Kids Foundation. I'm pretty sure she only has one facial expression: toddler-in-a-swimming-pool smile. I asked her whether she had ever seen her brother in a bad mood.

"No way....how?" she replied. "He's all the time positive, with everything. I'm pretty thankful for God that's the way he is. We're so blessed, we have to be positive. The last week, when everybody was going crazy [over the firing rumors], we were just like, 'We're too blessed to be stressed.' You can't sit down and cry; that's not how we are. If you are not positive, you can't reach your goals."

That's not how I look at life, but I guess it runs in the family. Manny's wife, Cindy, was also at the game. She just drove up from Florida last Thursday. She said what we all have been thinking: that yes, of course, rumors about his job security do not make Manny Acta grin with joy 24 hours a day. They talk after games, although she usually falls asleep before he gets home. Later, she asks him questions; why he took out a pitcher when he did, or why he left someone in. He always has an explanation--"he knows what he's doing," she said--and the explanations always sound reasonable. But still, those rumors?

"It just weighs heavy," she said. "He wants to be a part of this. He wants to be part of the growth. He doesn't come home and start throwing things and yelling and being upset, but you can tell. He tries to be even-keel, but you can tell when he's unhappy and when he's happy, because he cares. I don't know how to say it, but he cares. He loves it here. He doesn't want to leave. But that's part of baseball. He won't be the first, he won't be the last, but he doesn't want to leave. He wants to be here and be part of the solution."

She wasn't talking to get quoted. She was just talking. You hear that, and you remember you said the guy should be canned, and you think your own arteries must be filled with rancid mayonnaise. I'm not the only one, either; the man has something in person that doesn't transmit through screens. Here's how one blogger put it:

Manny Acta has a powerful presence in person that doesn't come across on TV. What might seem like placid lifelessness on TV is something else in person. I'm not going to say it's a smoldering intensity exactly, but it's different. Hard to explain, but it's real.

But still, the question remains, does Acta get mad? I mean, surely, once in a while, he gets blindingly, hair-pullingly, chest-bellowingly mad.

"Mad?" Cindy asked. She was thinking hard. She was trying.

"He gets mad because I didn't put my CDs back in the right order," she said with a laugh. "It wasn't mad, it was just, 'Why does it have to be like that?' "

Clothes too. Everything's neatly folded in his closet. Every item has its own place. Everything is in order, nothing strewn about.

"THAT will get me going," Manny agreed. "Because I tend to be kind of organized, when it comes down to the DVDs and movies. And I just get kind of tired of rearranging them."

"And I'm like, 'Well, why do you put your dishes in the sink and I have to put them in the dishwasher,' " Cindy countered.

So that's what makes Manny Acta mad. And look, I'm kind of joking, because obviously he gets mad. He gets mad when an outfielder misses the cut-off man, just like you do.

"I get mad like everybody else, I just don't show it on cameras," he said. "If I feel I have to kick something around or yell and scream, I do it inside the clubhouse, when the cameras are not there. I don't think people need to suffer what I'm suffering, especially when I get off the field. When I'm not on the field, I don't take baseball to my house, to my family, to my wife and daughter, to my sister."

Patience

Acta left home for the ballpark at 8:30 in the morning yesterday. He was there all day. His team crumbled with a sweep on the line. He had to answer questions about his job security again. Then he drove home, picked up his family, drove to Shirley Povich for no compensation other than one or two bobbleheads of himself, which fans said looked more like Julian Tavarez.

He was supposed to throw out the first pitch, but really it was the 10th pitch. First there was Nicholas, 9, a birthday boy from Chevy Chase Elementary. Then a representative of Bethesda Cares. Someone from North Bethesda United Methodist. Someone from the Forest Glen Children's Association. Phil Wood. Jim Hartley. I lost count. somewhere in there. Finally Manny took the mound.

"It's not the community's fault, whatever goes on on the field," he told the crowd. "We have to give back to our community. And if that makes people happy, that's an easy job for me."

I left at around 9:30, and he was still hanging out with fans, telling jokes, like to the kid wearing an Olney Pirates t-shirt. "Is that the Buster Olney team?" Acta asked. The kid stared at him.

Today's an off day, but Acta was headed to the Park to work out with Josh Willingham, back from bereavement leave, and to stop in on a birthday party for a clubhouse attendant.

PR

"Thank you," he told the crowd during a later interview with the PA announcer. "Just keep playing baseball around here."

I"m telling you, if baseball hadn't existed, someone would have invented it last night. And they would have decided to play the Macarena and Sweet Caroline during the game. And they would have put the wife of the big-league manager behind the grandstand, next to the pizza stand, talking about how she listens in to the radio broadcasts on XM to see what the local fans think of her husband, whether they still like him, and to say stuff like this:

"We don't take it for granted. We think it's cool. We just soak it all in, appreciate it all."

Fashion

For the record, Cindy Acta said her husband spends any downtime he has on the road shopping for clothes. He's big into TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, and the like.

He also was showing off another of his striking hats yesterday. Everyone liked it but his wife. She still didn't think it worked. I asked if it came from Marshalls.

"Burlington Coat Factory," he said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 22, 2009; 5:19 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Explain New Tailgating and Parking System
Next: Morning Bog: A "Save Tailgating" Petition

Comments

And this, friends and neighbors, is why disgruntled Nats fans need to find another target for their justified frustration. You can't spell "class act" without Acta. Now Stan Kasten on the other hand...

Posted by: NTPNate | June 22, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks so much for this piece, Dan. Glad to hear that Acta was getting some love out there.

I would say that Mary has excellent taste in men, and judging from the pics here and on Miss Chatter's site, I think that Manny's outfit worked, including the fedora.

I'd also say that callers to XM radio aren't necessarily representative of the fanbase at large. I think Acta, whom I met at a fan event in Woodbridge last year, is great and I have never called a talk radio program in my life. Maybe I should start.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 22, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Wonder whether the CDs/DVDs are by genre, alphabetical order, or some combo? I tend to go with genre myself.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 22, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Dan, today you are the man. Thank you for one of the best posts I've ever read.

Posted by: kent4act | June 22, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Great post Dan. It really shows a side of Manny that most do not get to see. I was lucky to be in attendance last night and got my Manny Acta bobblehead signed by the best skipper in the bigs as far as I'm concerned. Nothing but class. Manny made every single fan feel like they were the only one in the ballpark while he signed their autograph and posed for pictures.

Posted by: ilovethenats | June 22, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Acta's pretty much the right leader for this team right now - Shows confidence in his players, no histrionics on the field; Level-headed (to a fault sometimes), but seems to read the team fairly well.

I'd personally like to see him ride this team to a winning record, but the game is fickle. In a year from now, who knows?

Posted by: BinM | June 22, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Great post. Thanks.

Posted by: kebcam | June 22, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I heart Manny. Thanks for the story.

Posted by: laxbigj | June 22, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Good job." "Keep up the good work!"

Do these people ever watch a Nats games? Manny has single handedly lost games for us by leaving pitchers in and having fielders positioned in the wrong spot (that even the announcers call him out on). No doubt he's a nice guy, but nice guys finish last. How is Kearns still on the roster? It's a joke.

Posted by: HogsHaven | June 22, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

As for pitchers, a guy next to me was screaming for Manny's head the other day when he didn't pinch hit for Jordan Zimmermann in the bottom of the 4th with the game 0-0 claiming pitch count (I believe he was at 85 or so at that point). The 4th! I asked, "do you really expect the bullpen to finish this game off successfully?" He grumbled and grumbled. Zimmnn nearly hit into double play, but didn't and the Nats scored to take the 1-0 lead. We bet the guy Zimmermann would go two more innings. He did (well, okay, 1 out short of two more innings) and the Nats won. So you never really know with the pitchers. And yes, to answer your question, we do watch.

Posted by: misschatter | June 22, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan,thanks,I enjoyed this one a lot. 1a, apparently you are a fan of Diner! (good choice!)

Posted by: Traveler8 | June 22, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope someday Acta can manage a good team and really put his talents to use. Sad that it will probably never happen in DC.

Posted by: petey5 | June 22, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Manny's a hottie.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I love your post! I think Manny is all class and the right man for this young team right now. With what he has to work with, it seems he has done as well as any manager could do. Sure, maybe a difference of 4 or 5 games but that could go either way. I say keep Manny and give him a chance to manage this team to the playoffs. The FO needs to work hard to find players that can fill the many holes in the Nat's line-up and bench. Also, finding pitchers, both relief and maybe a good starting veteran, could help. There are many thing with this franchise that needs fixing, but I don't think another manager will do any better than Manny Acta. Quite possibly, it may lower clubhouse morale and make matters worse! The players haven't quit on Manny, neither should the FO nor the fans.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | June 22, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Dan. But Julian Tavares? After getting my Manny bobblehead and then getting a glance at you in person, I thought it could have been a Dan Steinberg bobblehead.

Posted by: justmyopinion11 | June 22, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NTPNate | June 22, 2009 6:00 PM
-------------------------------
Why not put the frustration in your pocket. This is a process. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | June 23, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Second that, GGG. Do we as mature adults (I assume) really need a target for our frustrations?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I realize that we are in the era of the 6 page Sports section (Armageddon is right around the corner people), but for your editors not to find the inches to print this in full in the Dead Tree is criminal.

I love Yanda, but did I really need all that space dedicated to Ty Lawson's future pitching for companies that wanted to project speed? Certainly not, unless Ernie said we were going to draft him, which he did not.

Very nice work.

PS - Opining that Manny's gotta go is your job. I disagree with the opinion, but it is your job. That and snark, of course.

Posted by: WebberDC | June 23, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

misschatter: I believe it's the bench coach's job to position the outfielders and Kearns being on the roster is a contract thing, not Manny's decision.

Manny has had multiple infield positions wrong as well. How Kearns is not benched is what baffles me. Keep him on the roster but he is an automatic out in our lineup. 10 for his last 72 into the Yankees series. The guy could host his own clinic on how to hit into double plays. Bench him.

Posted by: HogsHaven | June 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Man, this is great stuff, Dan. Thank you.

And I like the hat, Cindy.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 23, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Awesome post, Bogster.

We want more!

Posted by: Juan-John | June 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Dan. THanks.

Posted by: ihatewalks | June 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

apparently in NatsTown, being a nice person excuses you from any responsibility for your job performance. explains why joel hanrahan is still around too.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Great post Dan. Manny is genuine and what you see is what you get with him....a straight shooter. I respect him for that and I hope he can be successful one day here in DC.

Manny,

Sigue pa'lante. Tienes nuestro apoyo y todos tenemos fe en ti!

Posted by: FloresFan | June 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh and I'm a big fan of Burlington Coat Factory.

Manny should go check out K&G. He would probably love that place.

Posted by: FloresFan | June 23, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Burlington Coat Factory is awesome.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

kearns started and batted fifth on sunday, that's really all that needs to be said

Posted by: bford1kb | June 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I've yet to ever see only one thing that needs to be said about any baseball decision.

Posted by: Section506 | June 23, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice writeup, Dan. I enjoyed talking to you the other night. Thank you for taking my incoherent ramblings and arranging them into some semblance of sense.

By the way, I loved Manny's shoes. I've never seen anything like them before.

Posted by: actamaniac | June 23, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Manny's a hottie.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2009 10:26 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Did you see Manny's sister Anayma???? WOW, she is smokin!!! I wonder if she would date a Gringo?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | June 23, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse