Morning Bog: A "Save Tailgating" Petition

"A Redksins fan spits into the fire as another one takes a photo of a burning Dallas hat before the Redskins-Dallas game on Sunday, December 30, 2007." (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Chatting at 11. Submit questions here.

* It's day two of what the great Dave McKenna has named Tailgate-gate, and the opposition has started an online petition. Their proposal? "Individuals should be allowed to park anywhere in the lot they desire as long as they have the appropriate Parking Pass. Individuals that are occupying more than one space will be asked to move. If they do not comply they risk losing their Parking Pass for the Season."

Still, as Rich Tandler notes, "It appears that the only people who might get their feathers ruffled are those who have been conducting full-bore tailgating with tents, grill, and tables in the middle of a given parking lot."

To answer a couple questions from readers, what was once the blue lot will revert to Jericho City of Praise, which will operate it as a cash lot. And handicapped folks who want to attend a multi-space tailgate in the back rows will be given free rides on golf carts to the stadium gates; these rides have long been available.

I wrote a story for today's paper in which I very dutifully quoted one fan who was pro-new-rules, and one fan who was anti-new-rules. Objective journalism, there. But obviously the real ratio is probably not one-to-one. Exactly how many multi-space tailgaters does this affect? And exactly how many of the non-tailgaters support these changes? That I wish I knew.

Also, you can't beat the headline: "Redskins Enhance Gameday Experience at FedEx Field."

* Similar rules went into effect last year at Texas Stadium, with tailgaters limited to perimeter spots in many lots. There were objective stories with pro and con fans. A Cowboys official said the feedback was, for the most part, "excruciatingly positive."

* Clinton Portis: "Me and Coach [Joe] Gibbs had a great relationship. We talked more than me and Coach Zorn do, but lately me and Coach Zorn been talking, trying to get on the same page. Things been going good. He understand me and I understand him." I don't know, 15 months in and the star offensive player and star coach are still trying to get on the same page? I'd say 40 percent we get another radio meltdown this year. (Redskins 360)

* AU's diminutive but madly skilled point guard, Derrick Mercer, gets an invitation to join the Harlem Globetrotters for training camp. (StetSports)

* One of the mascot ideas submitted to William & Mary is an asparagus. "The asparagus stalk supporter notes that if served with cheese, the vegetable represents the school colors." (AP)

* Someone else buys a Strasburg Nats jersey (Twitpic via @Kevin_Reiss)

* "The last time the Red Sox played in the Nation's Capital was back on September 17-19, 1971; only 12,361 fans attended the three games between the Red Sox and the Senators." (Nationals Pride)

* SI's Jon Heyman notes that winning two of three in New York "probably saved [Manny Acta's] job for now." SI.com's Jon Heyman didn't explain what happened to last week's report that "Manny Acta is likely to be fired soon, perhaps as early as Monday, a National League source confirmed." The original headline of that piece appears to have been "Washington Nationals to Fire Manny Acta as Manager." (SI.com)

* Late-'90s vintage Caps toys. I'd like very much to have these. (Capitals Kremlin)

* Nicklas Backstrom makes the cover of EA's NHL '10 in Europe. (Capitals Kremlin)

* One of Bruce Boudreau's former coaches remembers him as one of the worst-dressed players, and said his nickname was "Dirt." (Sabres.com)

* Caron Butler would pick Steph Curry, and Antawn Jamison would pick DeMar DeRozan. (Michael Lee, Michael Lee)

* LeBron James wears another incredibly obnoxious t-shirt. If you root for him, you likely also root for one seeds, Big Oil and a high foreclosure rate. (StetSports)

* And the Wiz will open Summer League play July 14 against the Cavs. Rivalry Part IX: An Afternoon in Vegas. (Wizards Extreme)

* Etan Thomas hangs out at the White House with Obama, Mourning, D-Wade, which the Prez calls "a heckuva four right here," saying "we'll take on anybody." (Sun-Sentinel)

* From the Mystics' video coordinator: "You all know the Big Dawgs of the organization already, so I want to show a little love to people behind the scenes with me real quick. They call us the Squad...our motto is 'That's what we do' because the odds are if something needs to get done, 'that's what we do.' See, winning cures all, for every team, in every sport. (Pass the Ball)

* My aunt is blogging for the Baltimore Sun from Space Camp. She's the second one pictured. (InsideEd)

Best of D.C. Sports Tweets Over the Past 24 Hours

Rocky McIntosh: I'm swear I'm just out there just getting a tan which I'm already dark skin feeding fish cuz they always steal my bait.... I just wish I had a big spear and webbed feet so I can catch all the Pescado......Aquaman dawg....Going to explore the world of scrabble now.... Who want sum of deebow....

Chase Daniel: I hope the lefty wins it at bethpage!!

Gary Williams: Sorry Byron. We also have former Terp great Byron Mouton working camp. How could I forget to mention Moo? What a pleasure to coach him.

Drew Storen: At my favorite restaurant.....kfc/taco bell combo. Going to baltimore to see my sister for the all star break

Bram Weinstein: Interviewed Blake Griffin today.. Two things, he has no future in entertainment, but man I wish the Wizards won the lottery. He's IT

Rib Dibble:Capital Grille last Cafe Milano in Georgetown tonight, Red Sox tomorrow. Life is good.

Trent Shelton: My Mom always said, "if her fingernails are dirty, then her ______ is dirty 2!!"

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 23, 2009; 7:54 AM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , Caps , Mystics , Nats , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Manny Acta, Positivity and Patience
Next: Alana Beard Raps

Comments

Please help Save Tailgating and sign the Petition at www.savetailgating.com

Posted by: G20FdaCowboys | June 23, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

1. What is wrong with W&M's logo and nickname? The logo is a freaking feather.
2. I feel bad for the tailgaters but I never go to games, so what petition can I sign to get Dan Snyder sitting above a dunk tank filled with jellyfish.
3. People give way too much credibility to PFT.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 23, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Shelton told no lies.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 23, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Oddly my mom never talked with me about other womens' vaginas. If she had, maybe I wouldn't keep getting burned by gonorrhea.

Posted by: fushezzi | June 23, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Caron Butler, for the win.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | June 23, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Excited to hear you on Big O and Dukes.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 23, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The Redskins front office, with this new policy, is giving us, the fans an EXCELLENT opportunity to take advantage of the great offers Mr. Snyder has for us at FedEx Field. I should think that people will line up all day long to wait for one of the many wonderful products that Johnny Rockets has to offer! I just love paying $10 for my favorite Johnny Rocket's morsel - The Rat Burger. Made from 100% USDA Grade A Rat Meat. A real bargain for the whole family. And while I'm at it, I'm really looking forward to washing down my Johnny RATckets Burger with spit warm, $9, fizzy yellow beer. Yes, Redskins's fans!! Mr. Snyder has really improved the FEDEX FIELD Experience!!

Posted by: VeloStrummer | June 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe these rules will got down on the number of obnoxious drunk Deadskin fans.
Even better if the Deadskins banned tailgating all together. Make these losers pay serious money to get f'd up.

PG County needs to sobreity check points and tour the the parkings lots of fedex and issue tickets for PI and Drinking in Public.

Posted by: sheepherder | June 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Etan was at the White House? What a shocker that our president invited over an openly racist ignoramus. Etan would get along great with Obama's old pal Rev. Wright.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 23, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hip - Hip - Hooray !!!

Maryland football lose a bundle of recruits !

1 - Wisconsin Badgers nab Good Counsel safety Frank Tamakloe
6-foot-2, 172-pound prospect Frank Tamakloe has committed to sign with Wisconsin's Class of 2010, ESPN affiliate Web site InsideMDSports.com reports.

Tamakloe added that the Badgers just beat out Northwestern and Maryland for his pledge.

2- Highly-touted Peach State corner Jonathan Mincy chooses Auburn
Jonathan Mincy, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound cornerback from Southwest DeKalb (Decatur, Ga.) has committed to the Tigers for the Class of 2010.

Georgia Tech, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, LSU, Miami-Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and South Carolina have also offered Mincy.

3 - Boston College adds QB Joshua Bordner to fold
A 6-foot-4, 185-pound quarterback, Joshua Bordner of Century (Eldersburg, Md.) has chosen the Eagles for the Class of 2010.

Bordner, who passed for 2217 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior, also drew interest from Maryland. He rushed for another 10 scores.

4- Defensive end Tavaris Barnes is headed to Seminoles
Highly-sought Tavaris Barnes, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive lineman from First Coast (Jacksonville, Fla.), has committed to Florida State for the Class of 2010.

Barnes had previously narrowed his list down to Florida State, North Carolina and South Carolina. Several other programs including Florida, Maryland, West Virginia, South Florida Clemson, Georgia Tech and Rutgers also offered.

5 -Defensive lineman T. J. Clemmings decides for the Panthers
Pittsburgh has landed highly-recruited T. J. Clemmings of Paterson Catholic (Paterson, N.J.) for the Class of 2010.

The 6-foot-5, 255-pound defensive end also holds scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Miami-Florida, Penn State, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse and Duke, among many others.

6- Wake Forest lands Bolles defensive back Desmond Cooper
Safety Desmond Cooper of Boles (Jacksonville, Fla.) has accepted a Class of 2010 offer from the Demon Deacons.

Arkansas, Indiana, Maryland, Miami-Florida, Purdue, Rutgers, West Virginia and Florida International also extended offers to the 6-foot-2, 190-pound prospect.

7- Highly-recruited athlete Anthony Creecy picks Wolfpack
North Carolina State has snared receiver / running back prospect Anthony Creecy of Southern Durham (Durham, N.C.) for its recruiting Class of 2010.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pound Creecy holds over 30 offers, including North Carolina, Wake Forest, Duke, East Carolina, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Stanford, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Maryland and Mississippi, among others.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland Basketball will finish with a 15-16 record
- No NCAA bid
- No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | June 23, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse