Morning Bog: Brian Mitchell Strikes Back
* The never-silent Brian Mitchell has been mostly silent since he was let go from ESPN 980, purportedly for economic reasons. You knew that was an untenable situation, that the explosion was coming. And today, the dynamite goes boom. According to USA Today, the Red Zebra folks say losing Mitchell and his $150,000-a-year (!!!!!!!!) salary was "100% driven by the economy," and Mitchell says yeah right..
Mitchell believes he may have been dropped for criticizing his old team on air. In fact, he says he was willing to take a pay cut as long as he didn't have to take on additional duties for no pay. But Red Zebra executives never asked.
"If you never discuss any money, or any changes in my money with me, then you already have your minds made up. This didn't have a damn thing to do with the economy, " Mitchell says. "When people turn on the radio, they want to hear what they truly see. Not what the company line is."
On the one hand, this stuff makes for incredible fun, and Mitchell did savage the official court jester repeatedly on the air. On the other hand, Steve Czaban, Andy Pollin and the rest of the gang aren't exactly Pravda-spewing sycophants. So let's wait and see whether they get to stick around, or whether they're replaced by a 24-hour simulcast of Redskins Nation, interrupted only by messages from Dear Leader.
And in other local sports radio news, this from DCRTV, on WJFK's upcoming switch to sports: "The Junkies re-branded as the 'Sports Junkies' in the morning... Mike Wise from the Post in midday... Chad Dukes and LaVar Arrington in the afternoons." Hey LaVar, there's a major opening for an angry ex-Skin to get in some screaming matches with current players....
More links, courtesy of Max Wasserman.
* The Nationals, according to an MLB.com source, want to acquire Nyjer Morgan and "like his hockey attitude." Maybe they can swing a deal for Michael Nylander; he has some free time. After all, baseball rewards folks who go in circles. (All Nats All the Time)
* Ryan Zimmerman with one of the three best Nats quotes of the year: "To not like Michael Jackson is un-American." (Nationals Journal)
* Stan Kasten says the Nats will make "a lot more money--if we win. So we are trying to do that just as fast as we can." (Nats 320)
* Alex Ovechkin gets nominated for two ESPYs. Two wins would give him a career total of 15 trophies, something that could have been more easily obtained by merely playing Montgomery County pee-wee soccer from kindergarten to seventh grade. (Capitals Insider)
* In case any of you were still wondering about the fate of the conference-less, upset-pulling Bemidji State Beavers, the WCHA (that's the hockey league with Minnesota and North Dakota) has offered to give them a home starting in the 2010-11 season. Still in search of a conference is the apparently unwanted Alabama-Huntsville men's ice hockey team. (College Hockey News)
(Yes, Alabama-Huntsville actually has an NCAA D-I hockey team. And Maryland doesn't.)
* In other post-DC Frozen Four news, Kieran Millan--the Boston U. freshman goaltender--was drafted in the fifth round of the NHL Draft (124th overall) by Colorado. (Boston University Terriers)
* The Caps only took one college player this year in fourth-round pick Patrick Wey, a recruit for BU's arch-rival Boston College. (Boston College Eagles)
* Here are photos of many Capitals draft picks who worked out well. That's a happy montage. (Japers Rink)
* Speaking of which, here are photos of way too many Wizards draft picks who didn't work out well, all shaking hands with David Stern. Not happy. Not pictured: Cash, shaking hands with David Stern. (Mister Irrelevant)
* Here's a JaVale McGee Q&A. Question: "With Gilbert Arenas coming back healthy, with the trade you guys just made, what are you guys looking forward to next season?" McGee: "Just, ah, some good playing, getting some wins." Yup, that's our JaVale. Also, there are photos of a whistle-yielding McGee running drills with his summer campers. (It's Just Sports)
* New Hawks guard Jeff Teague, wearing Zero, in honor of the corpse of Gilbert. "I was kind of like the Gilbert Arenas story. He kind of reminded me of myself," he said, according to the AP. (Bullets Forever, NBA.com)
* A list of possible bigs the Wizards can sign. But why isn't Pops Mensah-Bonsu on that list? (Bullets Forever)
* Gary Clark's upcoming RFK Redskins party -- "the greatest sporting event ever held" in D.C. -- definitely has potential for greatness, of a sort. (Cheap Seats)
* The same man who said the Redskins were going after Sanchez in the draft says Brian Orakpo will be moving to OLB. Take that as you will (Hogs Haven)
* D.C. Divas beat Pittsburgh Passion, advance to the semifinals of whatever their current league is called. (D.C. Divas)
Best D.C. Sports Tweets From the Weekend
Chris/Tanner Cooley: going to blow up a dead cow..adding fireworks 2 the 5 gallons of gasoline that will be poured on the cow
Robert Henson: I would like to thank Micheal Bay for his depiction of the "black transformers"!! "I's cant read yo", "I's be chillin"! Seriously??
DeAngelo Hall: Micheal Jackson the world will miss the great music you made. You were a true blessing. We love you Mike
Seth Greenberg: I don't know how MLB managers motivate their players for 162 games. Might be the toughest job in professional coaching
Javaris Crittenton: I gotta find a barber in DC. My lil homie went to the A and left me on stuck and this other dude continually tries to push my line back lol
Drew Storen: 15 inning game and a win. Waffle house or Sheets gas station are the two food options. Where's a white castle when you need it?
Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | June 29, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | June 29, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: JLR75 | June 29, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | June 29, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rdpinva | June 29, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | June 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: mdean3 | June 29, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rtramonte5500 | June 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rtramonte5500 | June 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rucks35 | June 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.