Morning Bog: CWS Trumps MLS?

Some morning links, with an assist to non-intern Max:

* While the Nats are mimicking a contender, UVA is mimicking the Nats, getting eliminated from the College World Series in brutal fashion after blowing a two-run lead in the top of the 9th--with two outs
and two strikes no less--and finally losing in the 12th. [AP] More to the point, that meant local fans missed two-thirds of the D.C. United match (though ESPN2 re-aired it at 1 am). "Sports fans are dying for something exciting to watch," a disappointed fan wrote. "The College World Series doesn't qualify." (DCUMD)

* Peyton Manning shows up at the Nats game. Long-time D.C. baseball fan, right? (Nationals Enquirer)

* So does a Nats fan. (Twitpic via @Thighmaster)

* Finding the bright side of the Penguins winning the Cup, though most
experts deny that it exists. It's like Bigfoot, or MASN2. (Japers Rink)

* Pops Mensah-Bonsu gets a story about him in the Daily Mirror, and he didn't even have to go on Celebrity Big Brother to do it. (Daily Mirror)

* Johnny Holliday and Ray Knight, getting their buzz cuts. (MASN Sports)

* Rob Dibble, quoted, after the Nats' win: "I'll tell ya, they're becoming more unified. i know they're 29 games under .500, but this is a team, and they know a lot of these young players will be together for a lot of years. And as i said during the broadcast, in 2003 the Detroit Tigers lost 119 games and three years later, they were fighting for a world championship. So it can be done, and I think they have that feeling in there."

* Alex Ovechkin, to CSN, about Vegas: "You know, it's fun city, especially it was hard year for all hockey players, and you have to have fun, and probably it's best city in America to have fun."

* Someone heard that someone else heard that their shoe repairman's aunt heard that the Redskins might make a run at Brett Favre. (JunksWeb via Redskins Blog)

* Ted Leonsis shows up in Vegas for the awards boondoggle. His cell phone doesn't work. "I am brother from another planet now," he writes. (Ted's Take)

* This is pure awesome: bowling fans get mad at Fred Smoot for saying he could be a pro. They lash out at the Redskins. Redskins fans lash back. The bowling fans say Smoot couldn't average 150. "They're right: I won't average 150, 'cause I'll be in the 200s," Smoot says. (The Redskins Blog)

* A hat distributor gets a new, grape-colored Caps hat. (Future Xclusives)

* And a t-shirt distributor launches a Juan & Lonny & Chris & Steve & Byron shirt. (Capital Tees)

* Brendan Haywood doesn't agree with Donte Stallworth's sentencing. (Yardbarker)

Best of D.C. Sports Twitter over the past 24 hours:

Seth Greenberg: Really upset we didnt make Joe Lunardi's bracket! Not!i would rather earn our way into the dance, then make it in June!

Chase Daniel: Thanks to all my nay-sayers & doubters, You're fuel to the fire that keeps me goin & wantin it more then nething in the world! Keep it comin.

Jim Larranaga: I am having lunch today with the President of National Geographic. We need to emphasize geography education to our children.

Brett Haber: I just cheered out-loud at a Yankee loss. I don't even know me anymore. Go Nats?? (my father's going to kill me!)

Miss Chatter: Is it just me or does it look like Lannan trimmed his eyebrows?

Rob Dibble: Maybe I was working my way to the bigs while you Twits were getting phd's from Harvard.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 18, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At Least the Nats Are Trying Hard
Next: Orioles Media Guide Fail

Comments

Even better, it's a Nats/Expos fan judging from the t-shirt.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

No, no, it's totally different than MisterIrrelevant's DMV posts cause it's called "Morning Bog", ya see?

Posted by: ChrisMottram | June 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

That was outrageous that college baseball would cancel out one of the more entertaining matches of the MLS season. surely out of the many channels espn owns it could have booked the game on one that didn't have a preceding match that might go into extra time. or couldn't they have rotated the baseball to another channel.

MLS should accept espn isn't a good broadcast partner and stop kissing their butt and find someone who will work with them.

Posted by: nffc65 | June 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Whenever a college basketball or football game goes over the allotted tv time, they always move the following game to Classic Sports and then shift back once the preceeding game has finished.

Not only did we have to watch the Wahoos poop the bed, but we also missed four goals in a sport that sometimes sees four goals in a month!
Sure it was on ESPN360, but you need the WOPR computer in order to get that feed without interuption.

Posted by: WheresRickySanders | June 18, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow really? I think the CWS is exciting and I don't have a dog in the fight, or particularly enjoy watching baseball on TV.

Didn't the United Game last night end in a tie? People are moaning about missing a really exciting *TIE*? Hint: this is why Soccer is never really going to get big in the US. Ties aren't exciting.

My Fiancee would like that purple Caps hat, but why purple?

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 18, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

wow, anybody that watched that CWS game would recognize that it was a great college baseball game. And really, don't claim that soccer qualifies as an exciting sport.

Posted by: LouLewis | June 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I switched over to the CWS game after the Nats game ended (and just in time for the Arkansas homer in the bottom of the 9th). Was definitely an exciting game from that point!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The UVA loss was in a dramatic game. It's part of the appeal of baseball that it's never over until it's over (hey, that's catchy!).

My frustration though was that the DCU game was destination viewing for me last night - and even turned out to be a great game, too. Unfortunately, despite having at least 5 channels to work with (ESPN, ESPN2, Classic, news, "U") the mouse couldn't find a spot to show the game when the UVA game went late.

Games in progress should be shown until conclusion, so if that was the only channel available, I'd understand, but ESPN really ought to be able to find a place to get a game like last night on live.

Posted by: CDRHoek | June 18, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Heidiing a postseasonbaseball game going into extra innings was not a realistic option. ESPN made the correct decision on that point.

The problem was that the only outlet left for the soccer was the widely inaccessible ESPN360.

My suggestion (sure not to be heeded) is that MLS be allowed to stream such preempted games through its own website the same way it does for local/regional TV broadcasts.

Posted by: evwill | June 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Amazing shirt, thanks for the link. I just ordered mine.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 18, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nffc65 | June 18, 2009 9:22 AM

They do - Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura and many Comcast/regional channels have deals with MLS. The league still works with ESPN in an attempt to get games out to a huge potential audience. For what its worth, I don't think ESPN really wants the league, but is mildly forced to show it because of their package deal with SUM for the World Cup. Disney REALLY wants the World Cup, MLS rights are the scraps.

And I guess I'm in the minority because I like the College World Series AND soccer. It's funny, because it's all subjective. To me, the UVa game was horribly played - but many will say it was exciting because of the dramatic situations and late ending. Fact is, it was a game plagued with mistakes. It was almost painful to watch.

Whereas United's match was played at a very high level (in MLS terms). A few excellent goals, fast paced, late equalizer - with the FIRST PLACED home team pulling out a great point in the end. Draws are just part of the overall process. And a 3-3 draw is more exciting to me than a turgid, error prone win/loss.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman - yes, a tie can be exciting, when one team is down 3-1 and comes back to steal a point, which is what happened. Get over the concept of a tie.

And as a UVa fan and a DCU fan, my gripe (along with most people's) is that ESPN apparently decided they couldn't preempt OLD GOLF on ESPN Classic to broadcast the DCU game for people who wanted to watch it.

Posted by: the_slammer | June 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

There was nothing great about that college baseball game. Both teams looked poor. It was a fight to see who wanted to lose more. Both teams struggled with basic base running and fielding. ESPN has plenty of channels the soccer match could have been on. Then ESPN2 said an encore presentation of the match would be shown at 1AM. I thought they forgot about it. It didn't begin until closer to 1:10 after some more NASCAR programming. On top of that, they showed their entire half time show, but then skipped the opening four minutes of the second half. ESPN failed the viewers last night. It was really annoying hearing the commentators say the match was a great advertisement for the league when nobody could see it.

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The live event that goes into overtime, extra innings always trumps the following game. That's a given. No reason why golf reruns on ESPNClassic and the usual filler on ESPNews couldn't have been carrying the soccer match in the meantime.

ESPN Fail.

Posted by: tha_prophet | June 18, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"yes, a tie can be exciting, when one team is down 3-1 and comes back to steal a point, which is what happened. Get over the concept of a tie."

You mistake me. I like soccer. I understand the concept of a "thrilling tie." However, I am not most of the country. "Ties" don't work well here, we don't like them. We're a binary culture, we like winenrs and losers.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I've defended you in the past, but watching your balancing act of two selves is amusing, VTDuffman. You speak for the country as being binary, yet allow yourself to understand a thrilling tie while saying they aren't exciting. Regardless, the play and outcome of the MLS match was irrelevant.

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse