Morning Bog: CWS Trumps MLS?
Some morning links, with an assist to non-intern Max:
* While the Nats are mimicking a contender, UVA is mimicking the Nats, getting eliminated from the College World Series in brutal fashion after blowing a two-run lead in the top of the 9th--with two outs
and two strikes no less--and finally losing in the 12th. [AP] More to the point, that meant local fans missed two-thirds of the D.C. United match (though ESPN2 re-aired it at 1 am). "Sports fans are dying for something exciting to watch," a disappointed fan wrote. "The College World Series doesn't qualify." (DCUMD)
* Peyton Manning shows up at the Nats game. Long-time D.C. baseball fan, right? (Nationals Enquirer)
* Finding the bright side of the Penguins winning the Cup, though most
experts deny that it exists. It's like Bigfoot, or MASN2. (Japers Rink)
* Pops Mensah-Bonsu gets a story about him in the Daily Mirror, and he didn't even have to go on Celebrity Big Brother to do it. (Daily Mirror)
* Johnny Holliday and Ray Knight, getting their buzz cuts. (MASN Sports)
* Rob Dibble, quoted, after the Nats' win: "I'll tell ya, they're becoming more unified. i know they're 29 games under .500, but this is a team, and they know a lot of these young players will be together for a lot of years. And as i said during the broadcast, in 2003 the Detroit Tigers lost 119 games and three years later, they were fighting for a world championship. So it can be done, and I think they have that feeling in there."
* Alex Ovechkin, to CSN, about Vegas: "You know, it's fun city, especially it was hard year for all hockey players, and you have to have fun, and probably it's best city in America to have fun."
* Someone heard that someone else heard that their shoe repairman's aunt heard that the Redskins might make a run at Brett Favre. (JunksWeb via Redskins Blog)
* Ted Leonsis shows up in Vegas for the awards boondoggle. His cell phone doesn't work. "I am brother from another planet now," he writes. (Ted's Take)
* This is pure awesome: bowling fans get mad at Fred Smoot for saying he could be a pro. They lash out at the Redskins. Redskins fans lash back. The bowling fans say Smoot couldn't average 150. "They're right: I won't average 150, 'cause I'll be in the 200s," Smoot says. (The Redskins Blog)
* A hat distributor gets a new, grape-colored Caps hat. (Future Xclusives)
* And a t-shirt distributor launches a Juan & Lonny & Chris & Steve & Byron shirt. (Capital Tees)
* Brendan Haywood doesn't agree with Donte Stallworth's sentencing. (Yardbarker)
Best of D.C. Sports Twitter over the past 24 hours:
Seth Greenberg: Really upset we didnt make Joe Lunardi's bracket! Not!i would rather earn our way into the dance, then make it in June!
Chase Daniel: Thanks to all my nay-sayers & doubters, You're fuel to the fire that keeps me goin & wantin it more then nething in the world! Keep it comin.
Jim Larranaga: I am having lunch today with the President of National Geographic. We need to emphasize geography education to our children.
Brett Haber: I just cheered out-loud at a Yankee loss. I don't even know me anymore. Go Nats?? (my father's going to kill me!)
Miss Chatter: Is it just me or does it look like Lannan trimmed his eyebrows?
Rob Dibble: Maybe I was working my way to the bigs while you Twits were getting phd's from Harvard.
June 18, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: At Least the Nats Are Trying Hard
Next: Orioles Media Guide Fail
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ChrisMottram | June 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: nffc65 | June 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: WheresRickySanders | June 18, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: VTDuffman | June 18, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: LouLewis | June 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: CDRHoek | June 18, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: evwill | June 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 18, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: the_slammer | June 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: tha_prophet | June 18, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: VTDuffman | June 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.