Morning Bog: The Draft is Dead
E-mail from the Wizards last night at 6:50 p.m.: "The Washington Wizards will welcome members of the media to Verizon Center on Thursday night, June 25th, for the 2009 NBA Draft." What, we're all gonna sit around and analyze the suits together while discussing Bill Simmons's live tweets? Or maybe we'll all get bored and wonder down to the court to just cover the Mystics game instead?
My initial reaction was this: once this trade goes through, the Wiz will have no Euros on their team, and will have seven guys on the practice court who were recently in Minnesota: Foye, Miller, Mike James, Flip Saunders, and three assistants. Because the Jim Bowden theory of Single-City Midwestern Imports has worked so well in this city in the past.
Anyhow, some more reactions and links, largely compiled and blurbed by Max Wasserman:
* Last night Foye played in a charity softball game in Newark with Queen Latifah, Justin Tuck, and Ozzie Smith, leading to this world-class gem of a sentence: "Former Villanova basketball star Randy Foye played in the softball game and then was traded to the Washington Wizards in a deal for the No. 5 pick in the draft."
* Some people like the trade, saying the Wiz "get a starting combo guard who has improved every year in the league in Randy Foye, they get to rent Mike Miller's 3-point shooting for a year and they get to move Thomas' contract off the books. And they do all that without giving up a single player on the roster that the team needed to keep." (DC Pro Sports Report)
* Some people hope it's not the end, saying "something else must happen to balance the team." (Truth About It)
* Based on the huge number of guards on the team now, the next trade might
be with Buckingham Palace. (Bullets Forever)
* T-wolves fans really like the trade, saying "it's a fantastic move that worked for both teams and cost the team next to nothing in terms of post 2009/10 assets." (Canis Hoopus)
* What's the deal, Jimmy Carter? Why do you have to hate on the Bullets?
(Stet Sports Blog)
* Speaking of, in yesterday's Boston Globe, in preparation for Invasion Night I, Adam Kilgore spent 1,500 words ridiculing the Nationals. We could retaliate by reminding him that he's going to be out of a job in a couple weeks when his paper folds forever, but that would be mean. Also, Willie Harris says the Nats don't suck, only their record sucks. (Boston Globe)
[And there will be much more on last night at the Park in a little bit.]
* Jake Gyllenhaal rocks the Curly W. Spare us your pity, fella. (MASN Sports)
* Positive Nats story about Pat Listach, telling stories. (Linking to myself here)
* Not sure if this is for real or not, but here's a photo purportedly showing a Nats visor in which the Curly W was rendered upside down, in true Curly M fashion. This will cost me one check to the ImpACTA Foundation for misplaced negativity. (Nats Nation)
* CEO of D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission on D.C. Armor's low attendance: "A lot of those folks came dressed as seats. I think they dress that way at Nats games, too."(Cheap Seats Daily)
* So Brian Orakpo, Ryan Zimmerman and Santino Quaranta walk into a hotel swimming pool for a fashion shoot to wear pants with sailboats on them and look gangasta. "I practice my gangster face probably two or three times a week," Zimmerman explains. (The Redskins Blog)
* Another story of Redskins fans who already have season tickets getting called and virtually begged to buy more season tickets. The wait list is as dead as the Wizards' draft. (Hogs Haven)
* Did Daniel Snyder help Jason La Canfora get his NFL Network gig? (Pro Football Talk)
* How Joe Gibbs gave Jim Zorn an umbrella. And advice. (Mike Wise)
* Former Maryland and Dunbar star Vernon Davis is one of those people that watch
Project Runway and actually know what they're talking about. He also takes an hour to get dressed, and carries a murse. (Honey
* It's possible that in the spring of 2013, we'll still be talking about where Lance Stephenson will wind up. But anyhow, yeah, Lance Stephenson still is unsigned. (The Dagger)
* Marissa Coleman: "The adventures of the young and the crippled." (Comcast SportsNet)
* The first part of a D.C. United midseason review: Chris Pontius is very
* No Phil or Sergio
or Lucas Glover at Tiger's Tourney, but likely yes to Jim Furyk, Ernie Els and Mike Weir. (Live From Old Blue)
(Check that, Svrluga reports that Glover's coming.)
* Varlamov on Crosby: "Sidney has a really good stance. Like a fighter. He is excellent playing rebounds. When we shook hands at the end of the series, Sidney said to me 'You are an excellent goaltender, it was hard to deal with you'."(Japers Rink)
Best of D.C. Sports Tweets Over the Past 24 Hours
Jim Larranaga: Almost 5am. Can't sleep. What do you do when you can't sleep? I used to do my emails. Now I do my tweets. How old am I? LOL
Kastles Coach Murphy Jensen: goodmorning!!!!!!!!! i love wimbledon!
Skins receiver Trent Shelton: Why did i almost throw-up today at workouts and im in shape lol
Rocky McIntosh: Awaken rocky from your nap sleepy bear go outith onto world n given onto em hell
Mike Wise: Wizars now officially Suns of the East. (No typo there; we're now calling them "Wizars" because again no 'D' in that team).
June 24, 2009; 8:16 AM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Golf , Media , Nats , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Farewell Pech, Welcome Organ Reversal Man
Next: Nats Welcome Sox Fans in Style
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: StetSportsBlog | June 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fushezzi | June 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fushezzi | June 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jeremybozz | June 24, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Section138 | June 24, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 24, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.