Morning Bog: Welcome, Cash

I was literally re-sizing a DeJuan Blair photo, just in case, when the Wizards got on the clock last night, drafted another guard and then traded him for cash. Then I went to sleep.

The comments section of the Wiz Insider turned into a pretty vile place for most of the night, but there was at least one legitimately great comment:

CASH, by the way, will team up on the Wizards roster with 2008 second-round acquisition Cash Considerations, who was acquired in a trade for Bill Walker. Still, that mess was all countered out in my mind by this e-mail I received from a longtime Bog reader, as he was leaving the Nats game:

Boston fans chant: "Let's go Red Sox"
Nats fans response: " You're from Fair -Fax"

That'll turn that frown upside down. Some more links, mostly compiled by Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio:

* "I asked [Ernie Grunfeld] what the thinking was and he said 'I like guards. The more the better,' then laughed. (Outlet)

* Something that may make Wizards fans feel slightly better: Ricky Rubio's father says, "Right now, it is likely that Ricky will stay in Europe for one or two years" (Marca.com, via @HoopsHype)

* For a lot of fans, the Wiz draft can best be summed up in one word. It starts with W, ends with F, and there's a T in the middle. (Bullets Forever)

* A player like this could give the Wizards hope. It's the NBA's Ultimate Player, and there are tons of Wiz parts. (The Sports Hernia)

* Ninety-five percent of Wiz fans (who read niche sports blogs) think the team should go back to its old uniforms. (Mister Irrelevant)

* Sergei Fedorov signs a two-year deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. (Capitals Insider)

* An interview with the newest Metallurgian. (Japers' Rink)

* Chris Miller talks with Roy "Roy Roy Roy, Roy Roy Roy, Roy Roy Roy" Hibbert at the NBA Draft. (CSN)

* Via Sports Business Journal, MASN ratings for week of June 16 vs. the AL East averaged 1.1 in DC, nearly double the team's 0.6 rating to date.

* Stan Kasten: "I'm currently in my village idiot phase in Washington." (Nationals Enquirer)

* After last night, he Nats are 10-7 when facing a sweep, and 11-42 in all other games. Backs against the wall, baby. Via reader Bryc3.

* Daniel Snyder once told Six Flags shareholders they'd have been "better off hiding their money under a mattress" than investing in the pre-Snyder company. Now, Six Flags has an Official Mattress. Really. (Cheap Seats Daily)

* Albert Haynesworth said the Redskins didn't tamper and weren't even the first team to call, and that he had outgrown smaller media markets like Nashville and Tampa and needed to move to the bright lights. (Pro Football Talk)

* Chris Cooley fills his diesel truck up with unleaded. That kind of stuff can get you kicked off the Amazing Race, you know. (The Cooley Zone, YouTube)

* Brian Orakpo wears a sleeve on his head. (Redskins Blog)

* The highest Atlantic 11 player to be drafted is VCU's Eric Maynor. Yes, he's finally graduated. (Richmond Times-Dispatch)

* New VCU coach Shaka Smart and CSN's Russ Thaler drive Indy cars at Richmond Int'l Raceway. (VCU Ram Nation)

* Chad Ochocinco walks a fine line between insensitivity and idiocy. (KSK)

* Geovany Soto has apparently volunteered to show Lou Piniella the difference between "a steroid and a reefer." (Big League Stew)

Best D.C. Sports Tweets Over the Last 24 Hours

Jim Larranaga: Jonny Flynn went 6th. Who was the first college team to offer him a scholarship? Yes George Mason! He was in the third grade - no 9th grade.

Miss Chatter: Wonder if Smoltz said in postgame, "He flat out outpitched me"? Yes he did, John (teeheehee! sorry, had to be done)

Kastles Coach Murphy Jensen: im gonna eat lamb tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizznutzz: Wiz get $2.5 mil for JT, will use to cover duct tape budget in Abes last great gift to DC: the $450million Llorenzo Williams Memorial

Note to Natsfan1a and the four others who might be wondering: Trying to buy a house has kind of bungled up the week. More Positive Nats News coming next week, I guess.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 26, 2009; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , Caps , Nats , Redskins , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When They Were Champs: The '84 Hoyas
Next: MASN Spelling Fail

Comments

Steinz - After last night, my highlight of the season is no longer shaking your hand at Nats Park (you were very kind, despite being deep in thought about Harry Kalas'passing) and trying to trade a passle of Nats luxury club seats for one Caps practice pass. Remember opening day, when 9 runs, or was it 10, was not enough to get a win from the 'pen? But since this is "be positive about the Nats week" I wanted to thank you for your portrayal of Manny Acta, for the team's retaining Acta, and for the unlikely victories against the Al East. Thanks for bringing us so much pleasure every day with your writing. My wife renewed our subscription to the Post for a full year so that you will have absolute job security.

Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Is Jensen going to eat Lamb tacos while doing the snowflake day cabbage patch?

Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 26, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I knew the "yes he did John" was coming, I probably repeated that 18 times last night after watching the game as one of the proud (20,000?).

Posted by: jacktrickard | June 26, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I love the comeback chant!

Hey, I'm just happy that you came up with Positive Nats News week, Dan. Thanks for that and good luck with the house-buying efforts. (Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the headaches don't end with the purchase of the house.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

$--0--0--$
----------
----------

-What's that?

-That's the money you could save by not drafting a power forward in the NBA Draft.

Dammit Wizards

Posted by: Rirruto | June 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow, you were not kidding about the vile posts over there. No doubt there were some thoughtful, reasoned comments among them, but I gave up trying to go through them after reading a some of the bigoted comments. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Wizards fans have every right to be incensed at Abe Pollin's cheapness--I've been saying this for years and years. It quite possibly cost us several games in the win column during the 07/08 season when we had no back up point guard on the entire roster and left 3 roster spots unfilled due to Abe not wanting to go over the luxury tax.

Abe is a very likable man who has done a lot for this city, etc...but someone really needs to tell him he can't take his money with him to his grave. (I really don't think he realizes this)

As for the Wiz trade this week--it was a phenomenal move and should be applauded. The Wiz aren't done yet though--look for Nick Young or Deshawn Stevenson to be packaged with Mike James for a big man.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 26, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Deshawn Stevenson, you da man you da man; Mike James, you da man you da man; CASH, you da man you da man - - that's the reason I'm a Wizards fan!!"

Thats the funniest thing I've read on here in ages. Thats hilarious.

Posted by: Smashionals | June 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, things def went south very quickly over at the Insider. I saw how we just opted out of this years draft and went back to watching the MJ marathon on MTV Jams. I almost hoped against hope that Tracy was coming to town, but those dreams were DASHED! I think this may just be the year to invest in a season ticket plan, since prices will no doubt be low and there were be plently of empty seats to see a 30-win team...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm a diehard Wizards fan. That's precisely the reason I don't even bother with the comments on the Insider.

Posted by: bryc3 | June 26, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM

It's pretty funny. National writers and commentators are saying things like 'the Wizards had the best week of anyone in the league'. And that the Wizards are instantly a playoff team again. Wizards fans still think the apocalypse is moments away.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

True Wizards fans don't post on the Wizards Insider. We rarely even discuss the team on the internet..., in the office, or with friends. We let it all boil and marinate inside of ourselves while we smile and call the team the Bullets. Everybody will be healthy this season. Who doesn't love the Bullets? There are more important things around the Bullets than personnel. Philly is going retro with their unis and everything. Are the Bullets going back to red, white, and blue now that the gold is gone? Getting rid of the gold uniforms helped the US women's soccer team.

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM

Posted by: Kev29 | June 26, 2009 1:54 PM

______________________

Its the curse I tell you. I have seen so many seemingly airtight draft/trade plans go down like the Hindenburg. Being optimistic is a luxury we Wizards fans cannot afford...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade 10 Ricky Rubio all star appearances for red, white and blue Bullets uniforms.

Posted by: bryc3 | June 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Wizards fans have a curse, too? Does yours involve Teddy Roosevelt?

---

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 3:44 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

there were be plently of empty seats to see a 30-win team...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

30-win team?? What planet are you living on? If this team doesn't win a minimum of 48-50 games I will be shocked.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

there were be plently of empty seats to see a 30-win team...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

-------------

ONLY if this is not the last move we make. As it stands, this team would be lucky to sneak into the playoffs. Especially with teams like Orlando and Cleveland (who are already ahead of us) making smart moves and getting better by the millisecond. EG better pull nothing short of an elephant (forget rabbits) out of his hat more me to be confident.

And remember Fate, she is cruel. All of the pieces could be in place and then somebody breaks an ankle or tears a tendon and the season is over. We always end up getting beat with an injury stick...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse