Morning Bog: Welcome, Cash
I was literally re-sizing a DeJuan Blair photo, just in case, when the Wizards got on the clock last night, drafted another guard and then traded him for cash. Then I went to sleep.
The comments section of the Wiz Insider turned into a pretty vile place for most of the night, but there was at least one legitimately great comment:
Deshawn Stevenson, you da man you da man; Mike James, you da man you da man; CASH, you da man you da man - - that's the reason I'm a Wizards fan!!
CASH, by the way, will team up on the Wizards roster with 2008 second-round acquisition Cash Considerations, who was acquired in a trade for Bill Walker. Still, that mess was all countered out in my mind by this e-mail I received from a longtime Bog reader, as he was leaving the Nats game:
Boston fans chant: "Let's go Red Sox"
Nats fans response: " You're from Fair -Fax"
That'll turn that frown upside down. Some more links, mostly compiled by Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio:
* "I asked [Ernie Grunfeld] what the thinking was and he said 'I like guards. The more the better,' then laughed. (Outlet)
* For a lot of fans, the Wiz draft can best be summed up in one word. It starts with W, ends with F, and there's a T in the middle. (Bullets Forever)
* A player like this could give the Wizards hope. It's the NBA's Ultimate Player, and there are tons of Wiz parts. (The Sports Hernia)
* Ninety-five percent of Wiz fans (who read niche sports blogs) think the team should go back to its old uniforms. (Mister Irrelevant)
* Sergei Fedorov signs a two-year deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. (Capitals Insider)
* An interview with the newest Metallurgian. (Japers' Rink)
* Chris Miller talks with Roy "Roy Roy Roy, Roy Roy Roy, Roy Roy Roy" Hibbert at the NBA Draft. (CSN)
* Via Sports Business Journal, MASN ratings for week of June 16 vs. the AL East averaged 1.1 in DC, nearly double the team's 0.6 rating to date.
* Stan Kasten: "I'm currently in my village idiot phase in Washington." (Nationals Enquirer)
* After last night, he Nats are 10-7 when facing a sweep, and 11-42 in all other games. Backs against the wall, baby. Via reader Bryc3.
* Daniel Snyder once told Six Flags shareholders they'd have been "better off hiding their money under a mattress" than investing in the pre-Snyder company. Now, Six Flags has an Official Mattress. Really. (Cheap Seats Daily)
* Albert Haynesworth said the Redskins didn't tamper and weren't even the first team to call, and that he had outgrown smaller media markets like Nashville and Tampa and needed to move to the bright lights. (Pro Football Talk)
* Brian Orakpo wears a sleeve on his head. (Redskins Blog)
* The highest Atlantic 11 player to be drafted is VCU's Eric Maynor. Yes, he's finally graduated. (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
* New VCU coach Shaka Smart and CSN's Russ Thaler drive Indy cars at Richmond Int'l Raceway. (VCU Ram Nation)
* Chad Ochocinco walks a fine line between insensitivity and idiocy. (KSK)
* Geovany Soto has apparently volunteered to show Lou Piniella the difference between "a steroid and a reefer." (Big League Stew)
Best D.C. Sports Tweets Over the Last 24 Hours
Jim Larranaga: Jonny Flynn went 6th. Who was the first college team to offer him a scholarship? Yes George Mason! He was in the third grade - no 9th grade.
Miss Chatter: Wonder if Smoltz said in postgame, "He flat out outpitched me"? Yes he did, John (teeheehee! sorry, had to be done)
Kastles Coach Murphy Jensen: im gonna eat lamb tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wizznutzz: Wiz get $2.5 mil for JT, will use to cover duct tape budget in Abes last great gift to DC: the $450million Llorenzo Williams Memorial
Note to Natsfan1a and the four others who might be wondering: Trying to buy a house has kind of bungled up the week. More Positive Nats News coming next week, I guess.
June 26, 2009; 8:59 AM ET
Categories: Atlantic 11 , Caps , Nats , Redskins , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: When They Were Champs: The '84 Hoyas
Next: MASN Spelling Fail
Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 26, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jacktrickard | June 26, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Rirruto | June 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 26, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Smashionals | June 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bryc3 | June 26, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | June 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bryc3 | June 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | June 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: KyminDC | June 26, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.