Nationals Gift Fail [UPDATE]

UPDATE
A Nationals spokeswoman said the team mailed out about 4,000 of these gifts and hasn't received a single complaint. The team will replace any defective items that any season ticket holder received. The spokeswoman said the feedback the team has received about the balls has been overwhelmingly positive. The balls were gifts to season ticket holders who paid for their seats by a certain date, the spokeswoman said.

Well, congratulations, Nationals Season Ticket Holdes. I hope you're proud of being part of this historic season.

(Via Big O and Dukes)

(Noted, as always: I believe the Nationals will succeed wildly in the near future, and I will jump on the bandwagon with all four limbs when that happens. Growing pains, is all.)

(Previously: Nationals Uniform Fail, Nationals Bobblehead Fail, Nationals Bat Fail, Nationals Sausage Fail, Nationals Kosher Fail, Nationals Fireworks Fail, Nationals Timekeeping Fail.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 11, 2009; 12:06 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals Television Fail
Next: Why Rob Dibble Refers to the Nats as "We"

Comments

Can you imagine if the Lerners ran their malls the way they are running this team?

Posted by: dcborn61 | June 11, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Perfect.

Posted by: DCLandingStrip | June 11, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Does it ever seem like things are intentional (though not admitted) as opposed to just inept? I can't imagine why they would do it (some newfangled business school strategy), but it's so often it almost seems planned.
President races anyone?

Posted by: Grooven | June 11, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcborn61 | June 11, 2009 12:14 PM

Umm, they are...

Tysons Corner Pulls Ad After Veteran Complaints

TYSONS CORNER, Va. - A northern Virginia mall has pulled an advertisement after complaints from Vietnam veterans.

The ads for Tysons Corner Center were in Metrorail cars. They showed a woman in front of a reflective wall engraved with the names of the mall's stores. Critics of the ad complained the wall resembled the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, which is engraved with the names of Americans who died in the war.

Jan Scruggs, founder and president of the Vietnam Veteran Memorial Fund, said the ad is an "obvious and blatant misuse of the image of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial."

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

BWHAHAHAHAHA These jokes seriously just keep writing themselves.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | June 11, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Could you just use the ford "Failure" one single time. You sound like a 5 year old.

Posted by: BergmannonMan | June 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Uh...I don't get it. Must be something misspelled, but the image is tough to read.

Posted by: skipper7 | June 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Umm, they are...

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2009 12:21 PM

I like the way that you didn't let the fact that the Lerner's don't own or run Tyson's Corner Center get in the way though. Misinformation is good!

Posted by: natsfan76 | June 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I would call this snarky picture FAIL.

I can not make out what is the point of the picture.

Did they misspell W?

Posted by: CBinDC1 | June 11, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The "r" is missing from "holder."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BergmannonMan | June 11, 2009 12:39 PM

Actually Ford is the only US car company that's doing ok - although having Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs/Deadliest Catch guy) shilling for the all-new Ford Failure would be pretty cool...

Posted by: jhorstma | June 11, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Some of the "Fails" are silly (such as the clock), and some are not really attributed to management (such as rain delay issues, that's on the provider and the channel). But it is impressive to see so many issues related to running this team being alarmingly off. Somebody's not doing their job. Is it too much to ask for a memento given to season ticket holders to be spelled right?

Posted by: law3 | June 11, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Landover Mall seems to be doing.. er....well....

Posted by: 1of9000 | June 11, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey all,
I have one of these crystal balls in front of me and it IS spelled correctly.

This could be a, single one is wrong, problem? You all are making too big a deal out of it!

Posted by: anyone1 | June 11, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

The Fail week doesn't start retroactively, for scorekeeping purposes.

Posted by: Section117 | June 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners sold Tysons Corner Center over 25 years ago...the misinformed opinions here are astounding. My "holder" is also spelled correctly.

Posted by: JLR75 | June 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey all,
I have one of these crystal balls in front of me and it IS spelled correctly.

Posted by: anyone1

Exactly right

and could it not be a SHOPPED photo that is sent in by a couple of soon to be FAIL DJ's

Just saying

Posted by: CBinDC1 | June 11, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I see little to no evidence for it to be a photoshopped, I just threw the jpg into my photoshop and either it was done flawlessly to the pixel or its real.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm sincerely jealous. I got one of these baseballs, and mine is spelled correctly. How uninteresting. *I* want my own little bit of commemorative Natinals fail -- it's the only thing that would make my 2009 season as a Nats fan complete.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 11, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Really shouldn't it read seasn ticket hlder

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The one I am looking at in front of me is spelled correctly

Posted by: JDB1 | June 11, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The clock was keeping correct time last night at Nationals Park.

Posted by: stantonpark | June 11, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

JDB1:

No, mine is spelled correctly, too.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | June 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

These never get old...love it.

Posted by: HogsHaven | June 11, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Mine has the correct spelling.

Posted by: kebcam | June 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

There appears to be blueprints in the background of the picture. Maybe this is one of the drafts that needed to be approved by the Nationals? I did not read the link though so I could be way off base.

Posted by: _newt_ | June 11, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Could somebody have gone "old school" and modified the ball rather than the photo?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

For those wondering, here is the derivation of "FAIL": http://www.slate.com/id/2202262/pagenum/all/

Posted by: UrbanShocker | June 11, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you might have gotten a shopped photo on this one, Steinz. The fact that it's missing the very last letter (which wouldn't cause the conspicuous gap of a missing letter in the middle) may suggest shopping.

Still, though. FAIL = funny. Failure = sad. Shopping a photo to produce FAIL = trying a little too hard to get in on a joke.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - I'm thinking this is a fake. I thought these crystal balls are so hideous that I didn't worry about paying for my season tickets on time.

I think the replica Nationals Parks they gave away last year were pretty lame and poorly done too.

Posted by: combedge | June 11, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

stein,
perhaps it would be easier to list "Nationals Success". definitely would require fewer posts.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious but embarrassing and this crap needs to stop.

I live in NYC and I dont catch any crap about how bad the Nats are it is all about the Natinals and Rossevelt.

This crap doesnt even happen in the bush leagues.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | June 11, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

You know, the only thing I can think anymore is that they have your average teenager or recent college graduate doing their typesetting these days.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog, you know how I feel about the Nats.

And you know how you promised us an all-positive Nats week, right?

But I love these fail posts more than anything else you could ever produce.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Okay, here's where my BS detector pings into the red zone: I tried tracing back the source of this thing, and it goes no farther back than Big O and Dukes' website. Doesn't say how they got it, who they got it from, who owns the ball - nothing.

Any historian or museum curator will tell you that when you don't know anything about the provenance of an artifact - where it came from, where it's been - it's a sure sign that it's phony.

So, Dan, if Big O and Dukes can't tell you who owns this thing, then you should start another bog about it, with the word "BULLSH T" prominently featured in the title, in 24-point bold Times New Roman.

(Remember when newspapers did actual investigative work...?)

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 11, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"Not to sound like an old fogy, but in the last 10 years, I've mentored more young 20-somethings about the importance of proper spelling and grammar...because they graduate from both high school and college still seriously lacking these basic life and communication skills."

To be fair, there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of older people like yourself who suck at spelling and grammar. I've found that most people in general suck at this. I'd wager you just notice it more when the "20 somethings" do it than you do when your peers do it.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 12, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow, all 12 Nationals season ticket holders have commented on this post, congrats Steinz. Either that or the Nats are having their interns complain on the Wash Post site. I think the latter is probably more likely.

As for those somehow insinuating Big O and Dukes or Steinberg made this up somehow, you are morons. Someone clearly took a picture of it and emailed it to Big O and Dukes. So shut up! The team is mismanaged!

Posted by: JDP_ | June 12, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse