Nats Welcome Sox Fans in Style

If the infidels are gonna be there anyhow, you might as well make money off them in your official team store. Keep pumping those Boston dollars into the D.C. economy, Sox fans. Suckers. You're just paying for future D.C. free agents while keeping the local cash registers humming.

/trying

(A spokesman said the Nats just started selling visiting team apparel in their team stores for this series, but will continue to do so, in these same limited quantities, for the remainder of the season. Other teams around the Majors also do this. And I'll grant you that if it weren't these two particular teams, nobody would really notice.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 24, 2009; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: The Draft is Dead
Next: What the Red Sox Invasion Looked Like

Comments

Ugh. Oh well. We'll take their money, I guess.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Poor Dan. You may have picked the wrong week for Positive Nats News, or at least a very challenging week. Sorta like when you reported to spring training a tad bit early. But we love the effort. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

On the bright side (for you), you're practically halfway through it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I picked up a number of those shirts and took a look at them, I didn't buy anything, but left some nice pickings for their eventual owners.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Oh well. We'll take their money, I guess.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 10:26 AM

Whatchoo mean we? You mean the LERNERS will take their money. We get nothing - they get multi-million dollar profits (41 mil last season, to be specific).

I was at the game last night, and once again I got nothing but $7 beer and loads of humiliation.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to all for the baseball hospitality. See you again tonight.

Posted by: redsoxnation | June 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Nationals fans shake off that loss Sunday and pack the house last night (41.5k). My only worry is that a few more losses and the positive vibe from winning 4 in a row will wear off and we'll be back down to 13k (8k actual bodies). The district really needs that game day tax revenue. Anyway, 41.5k for a Tuesday. "No real baseball fans in DC" my butt, Peter Angelos

Posted by: makplan20002 | June 24, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

What absurd and childish commentary to characterize visiting fans as "suckers."

Real fans travel to support their teams and most are probably aware of the economics of their decision to do so. Your implication that visiting fans are "suckers" that can be scammed for cash is inconsistent with the general good sportsmanship and comradery that I experienced at the stadium last night, and have experienced wherever I've gone to see the Red Sox play (to a lesser extent in New York, but they are nevertheless good fans who understand the passion).

As a Massachusetts native and baseball fan living in DC, I am happy to help support the Nationals if it will help them field a more competitive team, and I suspect true fans of all teams feel likewise.

When I saw a link to "Nats Welcome Sox Fans in Style," I expected a story about the large number of visiting fans or the record crowd on hand for the only Nats series of the year that required a special lottery for tickets. Instead, the story was a snarky jab at the visiting "suckers." I think it would be a gross understatement to say you're missing the point of the game if this is truly the way you feel about it.

Posted by: MassNative | June 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Goodness me, I hope that last post was intentionally dripping with sarcasm.

Somehow I think maybe, just maybe, attendance will remain strong tonight and Thursday, and then revert back to the old levels with the team's next opponent.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Darn, now my last post doesn't make sense. I was talking about the post that is now two before mine.

The post immediately prior to my last one isn't sarcastic; it's thin-skinned, self-righteous, and typical of a member of the Sawks nation.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

is it me or does Dan still manage to be a little condescending, even when he's trying to be positive?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 24, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

MassNative obviously doesn't get jokes

Posted by: makplan20002 | June 24, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | June 24, 2009

Must be a spy for the ImpACTA Foundation, yep it is just you.
/move along, nothing to see here

Posted by: _newt_ | June 24, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redsoxnation | June 24, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

My conclusion? Red Sox fans are every bit as obnoxious as Yankee fans. Maybe worse.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 24, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Massnative keeps in line with the perception that people from New Enland are pretentious. How about this Massnative, move back to Massachusetts if its so great. The fact that you can't take a joke is, well comical.

BTW, those people at the game last night aren't real fans. In fact if one more person gets up in the middle of an inning or an at bat we will have issues. It happened throughout the park and is a clear indication that the so call Red Sox fans haven't a clue

Posted by: JDB1 | June 24, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

So will the troll count, one hopes.

---

Posted by: wahoo2x

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Also, it's "camaraderie." But thanks for stopping by, Sen. Kerry.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Hey wahoo2x congratulations after a 38 year wait Major League Baseball came back to D.C. last night."

You must have been asleep in 2005.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Of the, say 75% of Red Sox fans in attendance last night:

25% are actually from Boston...brought down here by jobs or they "had to go see about a girl" like they're Good Will Hunting.

40% have been fans since 2004

10% like the pint hats

Posted by: fushezzi | June 24, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is going to be much business from Red Sox fans. We already have the shirts and hats. I'm a tweener loyal Redskins fan and Red Sox fan. I just wish the Redskins were run like the Red Sox. Fill the team with homegrown talent through the draft and have to money to go after free agents for special needs.

Posted by: PEIL | June 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I'm curious as to why the Redskins rather than the Patriots, you being a big Sox fan and all?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 24, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, PEIL. I hope the Redskins pile up draft picks from an 86 year drought. How quickly everyone forgets that up until approx 10 years ago the Red Sox were MLB's lovable losers.

Posted by: fushezzi | June 24, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Now I know whose snot was on my shirt...

Posted by: splinter482 | June 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Of the, say 75% of Red Sox fans in attendance last night:

40% have been fans since 2004

10% like the pint hats

Posted by: fushezzi | June 24, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I think you're 25% from Boston figure is way too high. My guess is less than 10% are actually from Boston. Boston's fans come largely from 6 or 7 states.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That's splendid, splinter. ;-)

---

Now I know whose snot was on my shirt...

Posted by: splinter482 | June 24, 2009 4:03 PM